Our own survey

Dom

I passed on a bunch of 4's,spike ,and buttons...also some doe fawn. Only fawn I have ever shot were when I was younger and mistook a button for a young doe. A natural reaction...I cried upon reaching it and seeing it was a fawn....Could just be the woman in me..youngish are off limits.

Oh and 3 mercy kills had to take on fawn...no crying there,just grateful I saw them and had the extra tags.

Edited by growalot

9k 3 bucks a 7 point (bow) and a 4 point (bow) 9 point (opening day gun)

4 doe 2 during bow 2 on opening day all off 30 acres expect the 4 point which was shot on the state land a short walk from the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Woodjr55

thats a good showing

That is down from our normal 10 doe,bit we decided to cut back ad the neighbor had family hunting now and they have been taking doe last 2 years 5 on average, so to keep pop the same we cut back to 5 ( target number) as they seem to take 5 every year as well.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In a recent similar grass roots survey it appears 85% feel there are less deer than theyre used to in their hunting career

And perhaps the DEC is privately saying, "yeah ..... sure ..... and your point is?"

I believe the draw-down of deer numbers is intentional. I sense panic in the DEC activities regarding their ability to manage populations. I think they are engaged in a lot of experiments and "what-ifs" to try to control deer numbers with fewer hunters/ lesser enthusiasm. Couple the hunting loss of popularity with the ever increasing demands of industries that are basically anti-deer in nature, and you have a recipe for panic among those charged with deer management.

This latest fiasco with the antlerless archery deer season was simply the DEC taking the temperature of hunters to see at what point they get a reaction, hoping that they could find out where the breaking point of such activities occurs for future similar maneuvers when needed elsewhere. Jamming firearms into bow seasons is yet another creeping maneuver to see just how far they can go with that. There are all these little signs that the DEC wants to increase productivity and efficiency of hunters to try to figure out what to do when hunting popularity continues to slide toward inadequacy.

Hey, it's just a theory, but does explain a lot of irrational decisions lately by the DEC.

• Like 1

And perhaps the DEC is privately saying, "yeah ..... sure ..... and your point is?"

I believe the draw-down of deer numbers is intentional. I sense panic in the DEC activities regarding their ability to manage populations. I think they are engaged in a lot of experiments and "what-ifs" to try to control deer numbers with fewer hunters/ lesser enthusiasm. Couple the hunting loss of popularity with the ever increasing demands of industries that are basically anti-deer in nature, and you have a recipe for panic among those charged with deer management.

This latest fiasco with the antlerless archery deer season was simply the DEC taking the temperature of hunters to see at what point they get a reaction, hoping that they could find out where the breaking point of such activities occurs for future similar maneuvers when needed elsewhere. Jamming firearms into bow seasons is yet another creeping maneuver to see just how far they can go with that. There are all these little signs that the DEC wants to increase productivity and efficiency of hunters to try to figure out what to do when hunting popularity continues to slide toward inadequacy.

Hey, it's just a theory, but does explain a lot of irrational decisions lately by the DEC.

Agree with you theory (conspiracy or plausible) 100%