New to this region and looking to hike new areas this winter

gruffian

Hello to All,

I’m new to these boards. I’m just an old dog bow hunter from Vermont looking to hunt more of New York this year. I spend a lot of time in the Lake George Region Adirondacks although I’ve not tagged a buck there in a few years. I’m looking to hike some new areas in Region 3 (looking at Orange County but open to ideas!) and was wondering if anyone could offer advice for Bow Hunting on public land. Does public land get a lot of pressure during the bow season? I’m sure it does for gun. Anyone hunt Pochuck Mountain State Forrest? Can a bow hunter avoid being run over by fellow sportsmen trying their luck?

post-7554-0-61285900-1455029921_thumb.jp

So do you want info on Yates Co., Delaware Co., or Orange Co. ?

You have three posts for info on areas that are hours apart and have different rules for deer hunting.

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/31613-planning-to-hike-into-kerryville-state-forrest/

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/31600-hoping-to-hike-into-italy-hill-sf-or-high-tor-wma-in-yates-county/

• Like 1

Didn't realize I needed a permit to hike public land in Orange County. Wow! Berne County....that's Albany right? I hadn't really considered it because I figured that if I'm going to drive 2 hours, I might as well drive 3 or 3-1/2 hours and hunt areas with higher deer densities.....at least that's what I've read. Have you hunted Berne?  Any suggestions?

Didn't realize I needed a permit to hike public land in Orange County. Wow! Berne County....that's Albany right? I hadn't really considered it because I figured that if I'm going to drive 2 hours, I might as well drive 3 or 3-1/2 hours and hunt areas with higher deer densities.....at least that's what I've read. Have you hunted Berne?  Any suggestions?

Martin is referring to the Watershed lands which are owned by the city of New York thus not necessarily "public" per say.  They're city owned and used for their reservoir system.  Those lands you need a permit to hike on but the permit is free.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/recreation/access.shtml

There is a town of Berne in Albany county. In that area of Berne, there is Partridge Run, that is state land. Lots of land for hiking and hunting. Both can be very good there! I know of two nice bucks taken there last deer season. And I took one there myself a few years ago. I would say it's also less crowded than some of the downstate places you mentioned. Good luck and welcome to the site!

I'm not really into bow hunting, but in Orange County, it is not crowded during bow season.  It is the gun season (especially the first week that it is crowded).

Pochuck was very crowded on the first two days of gun season - 12-14 vehicles there.

Stewart Bufferlands - not very crowded during bow season (except tough to get into spots near known turkey areas and stocked pheasants).  Gun season for deer requires a reservation for first 3 days.

For Sterling Forest hiking is free, hunting requires a $5 permit.  Some areas are bow only for hunting.

Tried Storm King Mountain 3-4 years ago - had a few hikers with dogs off leash (not one hiker with dogs, but multiple hikers with dogs) during deer gun season, never been back since then.

Not sure for hunting, but you can also hike Huckleberry Ridge.

If you just want to do a hike, there is Harriman State Park/Bear Mountain, lots of trails and the AT passes through it - no hunting there at all, but there are many areas with great views (in every season)  if you just want to get away to hike nad back-country camp

Edited by Two Track

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the info. I assumed most areas would be hunted hard during gun season. I like bowhunting because there is "usually" less competition for spots. When trying to find new spots, particularly when you have to drive 3-4 hours, the help is very much appreciated!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PertnearOutdoors
      Hi Everyone, my name is Billy Harvey and I am a new member to the forum. Wanted to introduce myself and share about my local hunting podcast that my friends and I are doing called the Pertnear Outdoors Podcast. http://inktr.ee/pertnearoutdoors
      We started the show a couple years ago and have enjoyed getting to meet some great guests and built some awesome relationships so far. We have become actively engaged with the National Deer Association local chapters to raise some money through raffles and even brewing a beer with proceeds going to NDA and the Venison Donation Coalition. 
      There are two events coming up soon here in WNY that we hope would interest many of you. 
      This saturday 8-14 at 12pm is a Tethrd Teach and Train event at Allied Sportsmen in Alden on Clinton street. This is a free event and just need to sign up at the following link. Teach and Train signup Sunday 8-22 we are hosting a beer debut event at Windy Brew in Sheldon NY right on Rt. 20a. We will have basket raffles with some great prizes including tree stands, fishing gear, easton arrows and much more. We will also be raffling off a Traditions Nitrofire Muzzleloader. All proceeds from the event will be split between NDA and VDC. We hope to see you there.  If anyone is interested in any other info, feel free to contact us on Instagram @pertnearoutdoorspodcast or on Facebook. 
      Thanks and look forward to interacting with the group.
      Billy-

• By BuckSteady
      New hunter to NY here. Found some public land to hunt, it’s a WMA. I wish I read the regs more thoroughly because I threw up a ladder stand yesterday and today when I was re-reading them, I saw you can’t put temporary stands on WMAs, only on state forests and other such state land. I honestly didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to, I even put my name and license # on the stand. I was going to go take it down tomorrow but it’s an hour drive so I wanted to ask, what do DEC officers do if they find a ladderstand like mine on a WMA? Is this an automatic fine or whatever? Will they just call me and tell me to come get it? Confiscate? How often do officers go through areas like WMAs and check for stands? Any info would be helpful. I’ll still probably go take it down tomorrow, although I have seen other stands up on the WMA, I just prefer to stay on the right side of the law myself. Thanks!
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hey Everyone! This is Louis Backlas/ Cross Over the River Outdoors. I just posted a new video to my YouTube channel that I though ya'll might get a kick out of! Have you ever used a decoy to hunt whitetails? If you haven't before you might want to start! I woke up one morning and look out my front window only  to find that my 3D deer target was in pieces all over the front lawn! A fired up buck decided to take his frustrations out on the target!  this took place sometime in November during the peek of the rut. Hope ya'll get a kick out of it! 

Follow along on my adventures on my pages! You can find Cross Over the River Outdoors on YouTube, Instagram and Facebook! God Bless! 
    • By CrossOvertheRiverOutdoors
      Hello Everyone! My name is Louis Backlas. I'm 27 years old  from Wyoming county  NY and I'm an avid bow hunter and outdoors man. I make hunting videos and have a YouTube Channel called Cross Over the River Outdoors. Feel free to go onto my channel and subscribe to it! Click on the current video link to watch a bow hunt with team member Konnor McCowing as he takes is best buck to date! Most of my videos that'll you'll see on my channel are bow hunts done off of horse back! All fair chaise NO high fence hunts! You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook @ Cross Over the River Outdoors! I'm just an every day hunter with a love for sharing my hunts! Hope ya'll enjoy the video!  

• By burmjohn
      2018 HuntingNY Bow/Archery Harvest Thread
      Post up pics of your 2018 archery season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.