What's your longest kill shot?

wooly

With muzzleloaders, as well as any firearm, effective range depends on the gun as well as the shooter. I have taken several deer with my scoped TC Black Diamond and my TC Triumph at 100 yards give or take. These guns are 1-28 twist and I use 100grains of 777 and 240 grain .45 cal pistol bullets with Harvester crush rib sabots. Both are sighted in to zero at 100 yds. Usually they drop in their tracks,

With my 1-60 twist cap-lock I have hit and lost several deer trying to shoot past 50yds. I now pretty much try to get within 30 yds if i hunt with that gun. Not so much because of the gun, but because my vision is no longer suited for shooting open sights. That is,the front sight is blurry

My 1-32 twist flintlock is inherently more accurate than the cap lock. The limiting factor is  me the shooter because of the vision issue.

On my bow I have a peep site called a Verifier. It has a diopter lense that clears up the image of the sight pins leaving the target blurry. I have looked for a peep site with this option for the flintlock and cap lock with no luck. If I had it I could improve shot groups increasing the effective range .

With open sights it is very difficult to get a good sight picture past 75 yds even with 20-20 vision. At that distance it becomes very difficult to pick a spot because the sight blade starts to cover the whole animal. IMO shots past 75 yds with open sights are unethical.

• 2 months later...

My two longest shots with a muzzleloader were about 90 yds. One at a walking buck,got him right in the heart. The second was on last day of muzzle loading season,I was kind of desperate for another deer and the one I snuck up on was bedded down just bed a drop off. I just saw the head and felt I could not get any closer. I layed down in the prone position and aimed for between the ear and eye. There was à  good size hemlock behind the deer as a backstop. After the smoke cleared there were a few deer mulling around . When I made my way over the doe lay right where I saw her,with two holes right where I aimed. I don't like headshots generally,but this worked out. Muzzleloader for me,even during regular season.

On 2/12/2016 at 1:08 PM, beachpeaz said:

I would brag, but you know luck has to play a factor.  Without optics, at 185 yards, there is NO way someone could say with a straight face "that's where they were aiming."  I practiced the shot out to 200 quite a bit.  I was comfortable in taking the shot.  I aimed in the kill zone, and got the bonus of hitting him in the heart.  He crow hopped and then tumbled 200 yards down the side of the mountain.  THANKFULLY getting himself stuck on a small tree or he may have made it a mile down.  As it was it took 13 hours to get him back to camp.

The fact you say that is proof it happened. 185 yards is very far for iron sights even with an actual laser beam!

• 1 month later...

245 yds , took a 180 lb doe across a corn field.  Broad side shot behind shoulder , pass through,  nothing but ribs, did not loose 1 oz. of meat. The most perfect shot you could ever take. Not luck,  I routinely shoot my T/C Triumph with the 3x9x40 Nikon omega scope with the BDC reticle . I have not used a rifle or shotgun for deer in over 10 yrs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

two doe on Thanksgiving  day. First one stepped out at 120 yards it move in to 115 and thats when I squeezed the trigger. It never left the field.  Hit middle shoulder came out the other shoulder and broke it. the deer was done in less than five seconds.So i quick got out of my ground blind and retrieved the deer .stuck it behind my blind and with 15 minutes before sunset another one stepped out at 200 yards within five minutes or so she walked right over to where the other deer dropped. so after practicing that shot i just did it again  this one just dropped where she stood .  my triumph is one hell of a gun thats the fourth deer between ioo and 120 yards. i carry it if I am going to be sitting  i get such a kick about one shot one kill no mistakes I rarely miss. with little miss confidence.

deer 120 yards.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 9:20 PM, flintlockman said:

With open sights it is very difficult to get a good sight picture past 75 yds even with 20-20 vision. At that distance it becomes very difficult to pick a spot because the sight blade starts to cover the whole animal. IMO shots past 75 yds with open sights are unethical.

Anything I have that has iron sights is sighted in so the very top of the front sight is the impact point. That way the covering is less of an issue. Had an old timer clue me into that when I was very young (and my eyes were better, I depend on optics now on my hunting guns)

• Like 1

185 ranged yards. (3) pellets 250gr shock wave. T/C Omega w/ Nikon 3-9x40 

I use the thicker part of the bottom cross-hair where it meets at a point and the cross-hair gets thinner towards center, and sight that "point" in also with all of my non BDC scopes for farther shots. That "point" is set for 225 yards on my Omega.   

• 2 weeks later...