blackbeltbill

Possible Spring Turkey Seminar For April.

Hello members--- I am thinking about giving my time again this April at the Sterling Forest State Park Visitor Center. Just took the 1st step and have to hear back next week from the new Manager down there. I did this once before in 2014 and had a fairly full room. I am not the best public speaker- but was only nervous for the first 2 minutes. I ended up talking for 2 hours!  25 minutes ended up on Utube and anyone here can view that if they wish.  I tried hard 2 years ago to find another turkey hunter who wanted to share his views - but could not. This Spring, if it  goes through, I might get another speaker in the new Manager himself- who Allison at the visitor center told me is a big deer hunter as well as a veteran turkey hunter. No more then 90 minutesthis time though!   No expert here---just trying to help out.

So why should I care to help with the posts here as well for novices? The following will let members know. Now when I first started to turkey hunt- I was already 30 years old! My Father had me in the woods with him at around age 8 and I started to hunt at 14. Pheasant hunting, where both my Father and I would take up to 30 pheasants a year. But as alot of veterans here know, turkey hunting is different. You can't walk up a gobbler like you can a woodcock or grouse or sometimes a pheasant-if you (stop and walk). Now I remember in my first year of Spring turkey hunting in 1990--I  was hunting up at the Monroe-Chester Club and at a wood edge near the skeet and trap range. I asked this hunter who I could tell had a wealth of turkey hunting knowledge for some tips and he told me-----YOU HAVE TO LEARN IT ON YOUR OWN!  Man- that (stung) then ! I think we were after the same old tom.   Also, I believe in March of 1990, I was up in Middletown,NY at the old Playtogs . Now, I met up with my Father and I was looking through a huge box of marked down turkey calls and was talking to my Father about the upcoming Spring Season--my 1st.  Now, the Sporting goods attendant was in his mid-20s and he told me in no uncertain terms---YOU WILL NEVER TAKE A TURKEY! Stung again!  And he was right----for 5 Springs, I came up empty. Until the very last week of that 5th Spring. I went in with another hunter who knew where a tom was roosting. He shot a gobbler on the wing and I was ready for another to fly out. That is what happened. I nailed a jake in flight to break the ice. Winning a registered Skeet-12 doubles shoot probably helped!  I won in April of 1994 and made the Skeet Mag and won over 100 dollars too.  So members- this is why I care and want to help as there was no one to help me.--Bill

• Like 2

Good for you Bill..I also got " stung " a few times when starting out..The whole 20ga. Was top on the lists of those..Then the natural calling..Lol

These things just made me a better hunter,set my jaw,as it were.Many years and many nice birds just turned those "stings" into a little smile...Good luck in your worth while endeavours.

• Like 1

The Kindle just doesn't work right and   I have decided not to feed the bullies and distracters...it's call the ignore feature. They only have power when fed.

Hey Bill Schmidt.....I've been reading your post's for a while now and have to admit your one of the most die hard , passionate turkey hunters on this site imo. It's nice to see that kind of drive and determination in our sport.

• Like 1

Not yet---The Visitor Center will probably get back to me this week. If not--I will call on Fri.Thanks Water Rat!! I would hit a (like)- but now I see an (error) has occured and cannot. Anyone else have this problem?