Hunting with the Airbow

fasteddie

Anybody looking to buy the Airbow from Crosman and is looking to save some $$$$$$.....Crosman charges $899(w extra/6 pack arrows) plus NY state tax....so it will cost a total of $971.99 including free delivery.

So here is how you save..... go to pyramydair.com and under search type in air bow.Select air bow and air bow arrows into shopping bag.Price should be $849.99 for air bow and $99.99 for air bow arrows/6pack.In the checkout there is a spot for promo/discount code try VERIFIED-2015 and that gives you a 10% discount on total order plus no NY state tax and free shipping......total should be $854.98.....savings of $117.01....I pre ordered one just to have it .PS if that code doesn't work for you just open up an account and they will email you a 10% code for your first purchase however I think this code is a generic one they give to all new customers.Good luck and happy shooting.

Great discount and great service from Pyramyd air. They sometimes have more than 10% off and free shipping, and recently had a 15% off gift card offer that could have stacked. Would have reduced the price over 25% if one was serious about savings.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Hunting is an old mans game mostly , the folks on here are largely in their 40s, 50's , 60s and up anything that may catch the eye of younger folks or those not interested in taking the time to learn the bow or draw them in from,other areas is ok with me .

Look at the gun world, many new young shooters are coming from gamers, World of Warcraft and Airsoft is bringing in new people to the gun, I say welcome !

Amen Larry,I am an avid deer hunter.....weapon of choice=shotgun/rifle/muzzleloader/handgun/compound bow/crossbow and hopefully air bow.....I can't understand why any deer hunter cares about what weapon of choice any other hunter chooses to deer hunt with.We as hunters hunt for different reasons so as long as we, as hunters, are happy hunting the way we choose then we shouldn't be worried about anybody else.Deer hunting is becoming more challenging as far as encounters/sightings simply because the number of hunters is DECREASING.Adding different and more weapons of choice will draw more people to hunting meaning more hunters in the woods,plain and simple.

• Like 1

Amen Larry,I am an avid deer hunter.....weapon of choice=shotgun/rifle/muzzleloader/handgun/compound bow/crossbow and hopefully air bow.....I can't understand why any deer hunter cares about what weapon of choice any other hunter chooses to deer hunt with.We as hunters hunt for different reasons so as long as we, as hunters, are happy hunting the way we choose then we shouldn't be worried about anybody else.Deer hunting is becoming more challenging as far as encounters/sightings simply because the number of hunters is DECREASING.Adding different and more weapons of choice will draw more people to hunting meaning more hunters in the woods,plain and simple.

So far the reasoning I've heard is the fear of losing "their" season to these newer implements, which is pure selfishness.

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

This is complete rubbish. Go out with a bow during archery season where no one else is and you'll see many deer

Yes I see many deer because I put in the time and effort but today's younger generation of hunters wants quick results/success.They don't put in the time to practice shooting,scouting and the many other things that improves your chances.If they don't harvest a deer in their first few outings they lose interest and never hunt again.If they are allowed to deer hunt during archery season with a weapon that improves their chances at harvesting a deer(other than a gun) and maybe converting them over as a lifetime hunter then so be it.The number of hunting licenses sold in NY state over the last few years has declined from year to year and that is FACT,call the DEC and they will give you the numbers.....fewer licenses means LESS hunters.

Yes I see many deer because I put in the time and effort but today's younger generation of hunters wants quick results/success.They don't put in the time to practice shooting,scouting and the many other things that improves your chances.If they don't harvest a deer in their first few outings they lose interest and never hunt again.If they are allowed to deer hunt during archery season with a weapon that improves their chances at harvesting a deer(other than a gun) and maybe converting them over as a lifetime hunter then so be it.The number of hunting licenses sold in NY state over the last few years has declined from year to year and that is FACT,call the DEC and they will give you the numbers.....fewer licenses means LESS hunters.

So I guess you agree that it isn't due to lack of hunters

Hunting is an old mans game mostly , the folks on here are largely in their 40s, 50's , 60s and up anything that may catch the eye of younger folks or those not interested in taking the time to learn the bow or draw them in from,other areas is ok with me .

Look at the gun world, many new young shooters are coming from gamers, World of Warcraft and Airsoft is bringing in new people to the gun, I say welcome !

Hey I just turned 30 don't make me older than I am! Haha

I want to see some chronograph data from this thing. It seems like at the 40 yard mark it drops like a lead balloon. I think the MV is 450 fps but it drops off very quickly and it really didn't seem A LOT faster than most bows. 

Definitely louder than any bow I have shot, like mentioned above I saw and heard it shot at the show it was louder than a .22LR closer to that of a .22 mag. Granted we were also inside a 100x200ft. building.

Edited by chas0218

So I guess you agree that it isn't due to lack of hunters

No I didn't say that, what I said is if someone puts in the time they will eventually see deer.I put in the time because today hunting is a lot different than it was 10 years ago.Ten years ago I saw more deer in a weekend than I see in a whole deer season now.Now on opening day I might here 15 shots where 10 years ago on opening day it sounded like a war with ongoing shooting all day long.Why is this happening???? Because the deer aren't pressured like they once were when there were more hunters in the woods.It's pretty simple...LESS HUNTERS=LESS DEER MOVEMENT=LESS INTERESTED......if we can attract more of the younger generation to become hunters by implementing new/different weapons that increases everyone's odds then so be it.Why does it matter to you what another hunter uses during the archery season as long as you are happy using your choice of weapon? I have no problem with this air bow simply because it still requires the same basic principles as hunting w/bow/crossbow....you need to be very close to the deer with a clear shot because it still shoots an arrow.The only thing it eliminates is one being proficient with the aiming and shooting of a bow thus increasing the odds of a harvest.

No I didn't say that, what I said is if someone puts in the time they will eventually see deer.I put in the time because today hunting is a lot different than it was 10 years ago.Ten years ago I saw more deer in a weekend than I see in a whole deer season now.Now on opening day I might here 15 shots where 10 years ago on opening day it sounded like a war with ongoing shooting all day long.Why is this happening???? Because the deer aren't pressured like they once were when there were more hunters in the woods.It's pretty simple...LESS HUNTERS=LESS DEER MOVEMENT=LESS INTERESTED......if we can attract more of the younger generation to become hunters by implementing new/different weapons that increases everyone's odds then so be it.Why does it matter to you what another hunter uses during the archery season as long as you are happy using your choice of weapon? I have no problem with this air bow simply because it still requires the same basic principles as hunting w/bow/crossbow....you need to be very close to the deer with a clear shot because it still shoots an arrow.The only thing it eliminates is one being proficient with the aiming and shooting of a bow thus increasing the odds of a harvest.

Sales of licenses don't reflect this. You seem to leaving out the most important factor. Some areas just have less deer now

post-6989-0-69908800-1456249071_thumb.jp

post-6989-0-99047500-1456249080_thumb.jp

Edited by skiop

Sales of licenses don't reflect this. You seem to leaving out the most important factor. Some areas just have less deer now

attachicon.giftwo.JPG

attachicon.gifone.JPG

Really???? I stated sales of licenses in NY have been down in past few years,looks like the data pretty much proves that to me (NY resident only): 

2008/2009.......545,731

2009/2010.......483,723

2010/2011.......482,743

2011/2012.......483,187

2012/2013.......531,815( a positive year from the previous but still almost 14,000 less sales than in 2008/2009)

2013-2015....no data however I was told directly from a DEC officer that numbers have been declining.

Doesn't this trend show you that there were LESS hunters in 2012/2013 than there were in 2008/2009 with stable to declining numbers in between.?????

Pretty straight forward.

Really???? I stated sales of licenses in NY have been down in past few years,looks like the data pretty much proves that to me (NY resident only): 

2008/2009.......545,731

2009/2010.......483,723

2010/2011.......482,743

2011/2012.......483,187

2012/2013.......531,815( a positive year from the previous but still almost 14,000 less sales than in 2008/2009)

2013-2015....no data however I was told directly from a DEC officer that numbers have been declining.

Doesn't this trend show you that there were LESS hunters in 2012/2013 than there were in 2008/2009 with stable to declining numbers in between.?????

Pretty straight forward.

So you are attributing those small fluctuations as the reason you are now seeing the amount of deer in a season as you did in one day 10 years ago? You could  possibly make that argument if the numbers were halved or something. Go back 10 years and the numbers are actually on par with the 12/13 season

Oh yeah......and pressured deer tend to move less

Edited by skiop

So you are attributing those small fluctuations as the reason you are now seeing the amount of deer in a season as you did in one day 10 years ago? You could  possibly make that argument if the numbers were halved or something. Go back 10 years and the numbers are actually on par with the 12/13 season

Oh yeah......and pressured deer tend to move less

We can go on and on with this but the fact is that is my opinion and I respect your opinion.I have been hunting many years and that is how I feel and it comes down to the individual on what hunting means to that person.I have NO issues with someone hunting with an air bow during archery season when obviously you do.......no one is right or wrong but don't be surprised when that air bow is legal to hunt with during archery in NY state.Remember the day when the long bow archer was ticked about the compound? then came along the crossbow which shoots an arrow propelled by limbs but fired with a trigger now an air bow which shoots an arrow propelled by air and fired with a trigger......change is inevitable so we must accept it and continue to enjoy our love for hunting. 

So far the reasoning I've heard is the fear of losing "their" season to these newer implements, which is pure selfishness.

Well, as for who is in fear of loosing seasons?.....Hmmm....... No comment......

My worry is if the air somehow gets low ( o-rings get weak etc ), and a hunter using this doesn't look at the gauge, it will result in a bad shot.

Other then that, all I can really say is, it's just not for me. I like the noise an actual firearm makes. It helps me locate other hunters on state land and lets me know how close they are.

Well, as for who is in fear of loosing seasons?.....Hmmm....... No comment......

My worry is if the air somehow gets low ( o-rings get weak etc ), and a hunter using this doesn't look at the gauge, it will result in a bad shot.

Other then that, all I can really say is, it's just not for me. I like the noise an actual firearm makes. It helps me locate other hunters on state land and lets me know how close they are.

Rob, first time I've heard of those reasons to not allow an implement to be used for legal harvesting of game.

I guess the take-away from this is that we could come up with as many excuses as we want to not allow something, but there only needs to be only one good reason to allow, and that's expanded hunter participation.

BTW, do you worry that the screws on your bow sight may have loosened, or that there may be some defective primer used on those factory ammunition that you bought? Do you check your bow string each and every time before you draw back to make sure there's no damage, or that the ... Well, I think you get my point.

• Like 1

The excuse this was aimed at the bowhunters. They seem to be the only ones worried about other weapons invading their precious season.

I was not making any point against this weapon.

Other then that, all I can really say is, it's just not for me. I like the noise an actual firearm makes. It helps me locate other hunters on state land and lets me know how close they are

I would like to see a side by side comparison with this arrow shooting gun compared to a crossbow, a compound, and traditional bows though.

The excuse this was aimed at the bowhunters. They seem to be the only ones worried about other weapons invading their precious season.

I was not making any point against this weapon.

I would like to see a side by side comparison with this arrow shooting gun compared to a crossbow, a compound, and traditional bows though.

Me too.

• Like 1

They seem to be the only ones worried about other weapons invading their precious season.

Well yeah. Part of the allure of it is not having  10 other guys clomping around the woods. What's so wrong with that? Anyone right now has the opportunity to participate if they choose

War and hunting are two very different things.  In war, you want every advantage.  Hunting is more a test of your skill.

Grouse

Obviously you think hunting is a test of one's skill and I agree  with you to an extent, however there are many hunters who could care less about the challenge involved in taking a deer and would jump at any advantage they could as long as they put meat in the freezer.We all hunt for different reasons so as long as we satisfy our own love for the hunt let's not worry or bash the others who hunt for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Grouse

Obviously you think hunting is a test of one's skill and I agree  with you to an extent, however there are many hunters who could care less about the challenge involved in taking a deer and would jump at any advantage they could as long as they put meat in the freezer.We all hunt for different reasons so as long as we satisfy our own love for the hunt let's not worry or bash the others who hunt for whatever reason.

Originally, archery was implemented to be a primitive weapon season.  So was muzzle loader season.  The idea was to allow people to hunt deer in seasons other than firearm season, if they wanted to take the challenge to do it with a primitive weapon.  There was a certain sense of accomplishment when succeeding at it.  Sort of like fly fishing vs bait casting.

Today we seem to be pushing modern technology into these primitive seasons.  The more we do, the less of a primitive weapon challenge exists.  Actually, the less of a need for a separate season exists.

Sometimes I fear these archery and ML seasons may become so effective, when the anti gun folks really push to ban all firearms, they'll be able to point to the archery season that allows all types of technology and say they aren't preventing anyone from hunting, just preventing doing it with a firearm.

Does loving to hunt require putting meat in the freezer?  Does one have to kill an animal to enjoy the hunting?  Seems to me getting meat commercially is less expensive than hunting it on a price per pound basis.

I'm not knocking anyone who hunts for meat.  Just saying we need to be aware of how much "sport" is removed from the process when we modify the rules.

• Like 3

Also part of the allure is being able to master the skill of using stick and string to do it. The challenge is a big part of it. Taking a deer with this thing will not garner the same admiration of accomplishment, nor should it.

You're back at it again BJP? I suppose you feel the same way about crossbows then, right?

Originally, archery was implemented to be a primitive weapon season. So was muzzle loader season. The idea was to allow people to hunt deer in seasons other than firearm season, if they wanted to take the challenge to do it with a primitive weapon. There was a certain sense of accomplishment when succeeding at it. Sort of like fly fishing vs bait casting.

Today we seem to be pushing modern technology into these primitive seasons. The more we do, the less of a primitive weapon challenge exists. Actually, the less of a need for a separate season exists.

Sometimes I fear these archery and ML seasons may become so effective, when the anti gun folks really push to ban all firearms, they'll be able to point to the archery season that allows all types of technology and say they aren't preventing anyone from hunting, just preventing doing it with a firearm.

Does loving to hunt require putting meat in the freezer? Does one have to kill an animal to enjoy the hunting? Seems to me getting meat commercially is less expensive than hunting it on a price per pound basis.

I'm not knocking anyone who hunts for meat. Just saying we need to be aware of how much "sport" is removed from the process when we modify the rules.

As of currently, this discussion is about the "airbow" and its functions, not the season where it belongs.

I think jumbling the two together is premature and often bring out comments that doesn't help in the discussion of the weapon's effectiveness.