Hunting with the Airbow

fasteddie

I have no problem with it being used in any firearm season.  But I don't think that is the intention or goal of the manufacturer.

Perhaps I was misunderstanding the thread, since it was titled "Hunting with the Airbow" and is in the Deer Hunting forum.  I was pretty sure we were talking about hunting deer with it.  It also seemed the prior comments were about using it during archery season.

If were just talking about it's abilities, it looks like a fun toy for back yard use.

Of course it's not, because very few people would choose it as their choice of implement in firearm season

A few people use handguns to hunt deer and bear as well, but I don't see a problem with them.

I don't know many that hunts with an airgun either, but it has done more good to the sport in the last decade than any other technological advancement for hunting.

Banning or objecting to the use of an implement for game solely based on the fear it will take over a special season does our sport no good. I do believe a separate discussion of whether an implement like this belongs in a special season or not is a good one, but should not be combined into a single thread.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

A few people use handguns to hunt deer and bear as well, but I don't see a problem with them.

I don't know many that hunts with an airgun either, but it has done more good to the sport in the last decade than any other technological advancement for hunting.

Banning or objecting to the use of an implement for game solely based on the fear it will take over a special season does our sport no good. I do believe a separate discussion of whether an implement like this belongs in a special season or not is a good one, but should not be combined into a single thread.

C'mon man, you can't be that naïve. You really believe manufacturers are making this device with intentions for a few to use during firearm season?

C'mon man, you can't be that naïve. You really believe manufacturers are making this device with intentions for a few to use during firearm season?

I honestly don't care what the manufacturer's intentions are. The manufacturer does not dictate what implement goes in what season, we as hunters do.

Honestly, the best thing you can do to prevent an implement you don't want in "your" season is to recruit hunters that share your views. If there's enough hunters against it, it won't be allowed into your season. Simple as that.

• Like 1

Is the air bow a gun or a bow? Neither. Should it be allowed to hunt with in only regular big game season or any season including archery?When it comes down to it the DEC will make its decision by determining whether they consider the air bow as a firearm or archery equipment.The DEC has already classified the crossbow as archery equipment.The air bow fires an arrow which means it has its limitations(less than 40 yards) and is a close encounter type weapon exactly like a 400fps shooting crossbow.With the air bow the arrow slides on a tubular rail that guides the arrow while the crossbow has a grooved rail that guides the arrow.Both the air bow and crossbow allow the hunter to have a preloaded weapon that has a stock and requires the pull of a trigger to release the arrow.One does it with the force of air and one does it with the force of limbs.Both the air bow and crossbow kill with a broad head through blood hemoraging.It is pretty obvious that this air bow will eventually be considered archery equipment just like the crossbow and not a firearm.A firearm has much greater range as it fires an aerodynamic bullet at blazing speeds down a barrel through ignition and kills with the shock of the bullet.In fact I think the crossbow resembles the air bow a lot more than the crossbow resembling the compound or longbow.Just my two cents.

War and hunting both require skill, LUCK, every advantage you can get, LUCK, and a clean kill. When NY opened up small game hunting to air rifles/pistols it changed the make up of people who hunt on LI I saw more dads and sons with air rifles than I ever did with shotguns.

If I had that attitude that I need every advantage that I can get, I would be a regular around the canned hunt game farms. I certainly would not be messing around with some bow or some air rifle either. Could be that attitude wouldn't make me real popular with the game wardens either. Yes, we all hunt for our own reasons, but those that adopt the "anything goes" attitudes really aren't the hunters that I have much in common with.

Really, hunters don't use camo and cover scents? as advantages? Turkey hunters don't maximize the shot load/gauge? or pattern their shotgun for maximum effect? Deer hunters who are lucky enough to own land don't plant food crops and fruit trees to maximize their advantage?

Is it not an advantage to all bow hunters and muzzle loaders that they get first crack at deer season when the number of deer is at it's highest and their advantage greatest?

Airbow is just another tool that when examined will fit in someplaces and sometimes and not others, personally I think Long Island is perfect for it.

• Like 1

Really, hunters don't use camo and cover scents? as advantages? Turkey hunters don't maximize the shot load/gauge? or pattern their shotgun for maximum effect? Deer hunters who are lucky enough to own land don't plant food crops and fruit trees to maximize their advantage?

Is it not an advantage to all bow hunters and muzzle loaders that they get first crack at deer season when the number of deer is at it's highest and their advantage greatest?

Airbow is just another tool that when examined will fit in someplaces and sometimes and not others, personally I think Long Island is perfect for it.

You forgot to mention baiting, scent attractants, tree stands, blinds, and the barrage of other things that we as hunters use to tip the odds in our favor. But of course these aren't advantages.

• Like 1

Here's a twist to this topic. Could the arrow cominmg off the rod of an airbow be considered a rocket? If you think about it, compressed air pushes the arrow down the rod to the point where the arrow initially leaves the rod. At that point remaining pressure in the rod is the same as the remaining pressure in the hollow arrow. As the arrow leaves the rod the gasses in the arrow continue to exhaust and accelerates the arrow as if it were rocket propulsion. Now, there has to be a law somewhere regulating the use of rockets.

Now I'm grinning ear to ear waiting for opinions to pounce on that issue.

Here's a twist to this topic. Could the arrow cominmg off the rod of an airbow be considered a rocket? If you think about it, compressed air pushes the arrow down the rod to the point where the arrow initially leaves the rod. At that point remaining pressure in the rod is the same as the remaining pressure in the hollow arrow. As the arrow leaves the rod the gasses in the arrow continue to exhaust and accelerates the arrow as if it were rocket propulsion. Now, there has to be a law somewhere regulating the use of rockets.

Now I'm grinning ear to ear waiting for opinions to pounce on that issue.

"Rocket propulsion - Reaction propulsion wherein both the fuel and the oxidizer, generating the hot gases expended through a nozzle, are carried as part of the rocket engine. Specifically, rocket propulsion differs from jet propulsion in that jet propulsion utilizes atmospheric air as an oxidizer, whereas rocket propulsion utilizes nitric acid or a similar compound as an oxidizer. See also jet propulsion."

So in other words, no.

• Like 2

I bought and built a "Rocket Dragster" model car back before glue sniffing (vintage 1959). At nearly a foot long, it was powered by a CO2 capsule mounted under the driver. The woodshop teacher allowed access to a long school hallway where I set it off as the class watched. No chemical reaction, hot gasses, or oxidizers, but a rocket just the same. It ran straight and true down an 80 yard hallway and the wheels turned so fast it melted the plastic axels. It lost its rear wheels and slid sideways, parking itself against the nurses office door.

Who's to say the next fun weapon couldn't be CO2 charged arrows fired from some sort of hybrid airbow/launcher/gun thingy. No matter how diverse people are with new weaponry, there will always be a cool super refinement to sell after that. Not to mention the new forum threads generated where hunters are either backing it or opposing it for legal use.    

rock·et1
ˈräkət/
noun

1. 1.
    a cylindrical projectile that can be propelled to a great height or distance by the combustion of its contents, used typically as a firework or signal.

Cause they called it a rocket dragster didn't mean it was really a rocket, I have a "heat seeking moisture missile" but I'd never call "it" a rocket! But I can imagine a future with the kind of weapon you speak of.

What we have to do is to cheapen up heat seeking technology and self-propelled arrows. Now that would be real hunting ..... eh? Let's take his "anything goes" philosophy to it's logical conclusion.....lol. That would almost be as much fun as that computer hunting they tried to get legalized a few years back. That kind of fits real well into the "anything goes" hunting philosophy.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, many years ago there was a desire to make spear guns legal for hunting.  They were going to shoot the same shaft with a broad head on it, rather than the regular spear head.  The idea was dismissed by game departments because it didn't qualify as a firearm or archery equipment.

Edited by Grouse

Great discount and great service from Pyramyd air. They sometimes have more than 10% off and free shipping, and recently had a 15% off gift card offer that could have stacked. Would have reduced the price over 25% if one was serious about savings.

Pyramyd is running a 15% off and free shipping now.

Shawnhu

I saw that and cancelled my preorder for the Airbow and repurchased it w/15% off w/free shipping on leap year/day.These days every little savings counts.

Sweet deal! I know of another hunter that purchased a few hundred using that deal as well.

Hunters helping hunters, that's what it's all about.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...