Do deer feed on this?

Just curious if deer feed on ferns and whatever else might be growing in this spot?  Its a small clearing and also part of a trail.

I was googling around and it seems deer may eat some types of fern, but I have no idea what kind is on the property.  Looks like some wild grass is growing there also.

[smg id=133]

I would clean this area up. Kill all the weeds with round up pro. Spread about 300 lbs of lime, feltilize it with 13-13-13.  Plant some clover. Or Turnips for the fall. This would cost you about 60.00 - 100.00 dollars. Then you would have the deer coming in.

• 2 weeks later...

With a bit of work you could turn that into a nice secret spot / plot. Clear it out a little, get a rear-tine tiller back there, check the soil. From the looks of it there's a decent amount of sunshine.

And one or two climber trees.  8)

• 3 weeks later...

fern never seen...but they do eat certain moss.... in the winter and like bedding in mossy areas....when scouting an area I like looking for that and white pine....white pine generates more heat than other trees and I find in the winter the deer like bedding under them...one of my best stands is in a big white pine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would clean this area up. Kill all the weeds with round up pro. Spread about 300 lbs of lime, feltilize it with 13-13-13.  Plant some clover. Or Turnips for the fall. This would cost you about 60.00 - 100.00 dollars. Then you would have the deer coming in.

Your right This looks like it would be a nice spot for a plot. Looks like it gets good sun.

If you decide to Lime it to adjust the PH , we got a deal on lime from CountryMax because we bought 40 bags of granular lime . I am assuming you may need a lot . Bulk lime is even cheaper . We had to go up a real steep hill and there was no way to get any bulk delivered .

• 4 weeks later...

Great looking spot. Being near the edge of a field, I bet you could turn that into a staging area. I've never seen deer eat ferns, at least not around here. Ferns are an indicator of low ph, so lime is in order. I've got some in a couple spots of my woods that I need to deal with too.

Just curious if deer feed on ferns and whatever else might be growing in this spot?  Its a small clearing and also part of a trail.

I was googling around and it seems deer may eat some types of fern, but I have no idea what kind is on the property.  Looks like some wild grass is growing there also.

[smg id=133]

Plants Deer Will Not Eat

Plants Deer Will Not Eat. by Mary Jane Frogge, Extension Associate ... cinnamon fern; interrupted fern; Oriental poppy; ribbon grass; balloon flower ...

lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/deerplants.shtml - Cached - Similar

John, If you have a very wet area and can find any of this on your property and can transplant it there....the deer go absolutely batty over it. It will not last through tthe first frost but they will mow it down stalks and all. and it spreads very well in partial shade

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Jewelweed.html

Touch-me-nots or jewel weed 

• 1 month later...

[smg id=133]

Plants Deer Will Not Eat

Plants Deer Will Not Eat. by Mary Jane Frogge, Extension Associate ... cinnamon fern; interrupted fern; Oriental poppy; ribbon grass; balloon flower ...

lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/deerplants.shtml - Cached - Similar

That is in Nebraska.. might not all apply in NY... still interesting though