Free Hunting For Fire & EMS Volunteers

A bill has recently been proposed in Albany that would give free hunting and fishing licenses to active volunteer Fire & EMS personnel.

Would you support this or oppose it?

I support it, even though I volunteer and have already paid for a lifetime license.

I would not even though I have a vested interest.

Where do you draw the line?

Meals on wheels? Give them a free license. Pro bono legal work? Free licenses. What about doctors that volunteer? Free licenses.

Hey what about tax payers? Oh wait.

Enough with the free crap already. If volunteering isnt worth your time don't do it.

Edited by Trial153
  • Like 4

It will only cause every bozo to want to be a volunteer. I could see it for anyone after 10 years of service. But, it will never get out of committee. They tried it for volunteer hunter ed instructors a few years ago and it never got off the ground. If you need to be bribed to volunteer, you are not interested in the first place.

• Like 2

Thus the strict guide lines..I like the idea of after So many years service.The what about Dr' s,Well if they are volunteering in the communities as first responders or firemen yes,that's the service of topic.Here's A thought,let the town's pay for it...let the rural ppl that receive these benefits donate the money for licenses...if it increases and or maintains the crews needed..so be it.

As far as safety course trainers..many are held at gun clubs...those clubs should pony up. They receive the benefits of possible new memberships.

• Like 1

Well I do hope they do something...for even though this particular link is older...from what I hear,read and discuss, things have and are getting worse for rural dept.'s. Now granted summarize the # of actual hunters doing these jobs now, it would be an unbalanced benefit in a district that would have to be addressed anyways.Though as a possible recruiting point,done properly, I don't see a down side. Since the training is extensive...The idea a  bunch of "bozo's " would make it into the ranks, well.....

BTW I'm hoping that hunters are not considered "bozo's " and unable to do such training and vital volunteer work...many of our local crews are made up of hunters...and I've used them many a time. As far as oversight...not all program oversight need to be or I believe are state government run...I could be wrong, but in house oversight by the people that actually have to work together would be the proper route...There is a hierarchy in these things..people are actually voted into positions by the public. I was a voter inspector and handled a few of these.

http://www.ems1.com/volunteer-rural-ems/articles/1283629-Volunteer-shortage-closes-NY-ambulance-service/

Enough with the free crap already. If volunteering isnt worth your time don't do it.

THIS!!!!! I am all for the people that service getting something.Ive heard that they get tax breaks and whatnot(I have no idea if that's true or not) but what about any other volunteer....you know like a hunter safety instructor,people that volunteer at the fisheries,search and rescue personnel???? To much is given away,if you want to volunteer then god bless you,if not then don't!!

Well I do hope they do something...for even though this particular link is older...from what I hear,read and discuss, things have and are getting worse for rural dept.'s. Now granted summarize the # of actual hunters doing these jobs now, it would be an unbalanced benefit in a district that would have to be addressed anyways.Though as a possible recruiting point,done properly, I don't see a down side. Since the training is extensive...The idea a bunch of "bozo's " would make it into the ranks, well.....

BTW I'm hoping that hunters are not considered "bozo's " and unable to do such training and vital volunteer work...many of our local crews are made up of hunters...and I've used them many a time. As far as oversight...not all program oversight need to be or I believe are state government run...I could be wrong, but in house oversight by the people that actually have to work together would be the proper route...There is a hierarchy in these things..people are actually voted into positions by the public. I was a voter inspector and handled a few of these.

http://www.ems1.com/volunteer-rural-ems/articles/1283629-Volunteer-shortage-closes-NY-ambulance-service/

Some are actually "bozo's". You can tell by how they carry themselves.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

THIS!!!!! I am all for the people that service getting something.Ive heard that they get tax breaks and whatnot(I have no idea if that's true or not) but what about any other volunteer....you know like a hunter safety instructor,people that volunteer at the fisheries,search and rescue personnel???? To much is given away,if you want to volunteer then god bless you,if not then don't!!

We have volunteer EMT that run around the city with modded cars decked out with lights and sirens. 90% of them live in a certain ethnicity area. They usually drive Honda Odyssey vans. Always struct me as odd.

If anyone should get to hunt for free, it's the instructors.

We have volunteer EMT that run around the city with modded cars decked out with lights and sirens. 90% of them live in a certain ethnicity area. They usually drive Honda Odyssey vans. Always struct me as odd.

Some are actually "bozo's". You can tell by how they carry themselves.

Wow  you certainly have shown a light on your self with this, also with the attacks I just read on no less than 4 different posters today alone... :good::rolleyes:

Pt..

After reading this...does it surprise you? Really equating volunteer hatchery work, to putting your life on the line to save the lives or even crud of some ungrateful ...HHHMMMM person. Seriously,a few of these I found so sad it nearly made me laugh.

Then again I know firemen that lost their lives volunteering..in

fact from my youth until now, 4 different towns I know have lost men...guys have ruined careers and lives due to back injuries burns,etc,etc....EMT's shot at...risking infectious diseases...helicopter crashes...wow

There was a time when ALL FD and EMS was volunteer, and things were much less expensive and corrupt then.  The demands of modern life killed most of it.

Paid personnel get a good wage, lots of OT, paid vacations, full benefits, Life Insurance and a full pension after only 20 years on the job.  They are also union, which comes with demands.  Though they are as dedicated as any emergency service worker, many work for 20 years and get a pension at 70% of their ending (probably highest) pay for life, which can be 40 more years.  Most earn more from their pensions they they did on the job.

Do you really believe giving volunteers some pittance to encourage their service is expensive, compared to paying all of your emergency people? 

Paid personnel get a good wage, lots of OT, paid vacations, full benefits, Life Insurance and a full pension after only 20 years on the job. They are also union, which comes with demands. Though they are as dedicated as any emergency service worker, many work for 20 years and get a pension at 70% of their ending (probably highest) pay for life, which can be 40 more years. Most earn more from their pensions they they did on the job.

?

I can tell you that hardly none of this the case in Columbia , Greene , dutcheess , Delaware and most of ulster ( expect Kingston fire ) and hardly any of Albany county ( except Albany fire) .

I can tell you that hardly none of this the case in Columbia , Greene , dutcheess , Delaware and most of ulster ( expect Kingston fire ) and hardly any of Albany county ( except Albany fire) .

Is it Greene that has Oneonta?  The point is, most places that are now mostly paid, were once mostly volunteer.  There is already talk in every county in NY to going to paid departments.  Without enough volunteers, it's inevitable.

Edited by Mr VJP

Delaware has Oneonta. The point is, most places that are now mostly paid, were once mostly volunteer. There is already talk in every county in NY to going to paid departments. Without enough volunteers, it's inevitable.

Your conveniently overstating what these people make in compensation benefits. If you wanted say that most places are paid, and they should be paid then say it. Don't paint a rosy picture of their employment status that is misleading and untrue.

I don't think a volunteer emergency personnel is going to lose any sleep over if he should remain a volunteer for the free hunting license or not. Nor do I think one that is considering putting their lives on the line to save others, would give two winks at the notion of hunting for free.

If we wanted to do something nice for these dedicated people, we should just bake them a pie instead.

Your conveniently overstating what these people make in compensation benefits. If you wanted say that most places are paid, and they should be paid then say it. Don't paint a rosy picture of their employment status that is misleading and untrue.

What part of what I posted are you claiming is misleading or untrue?