Tried my hand at making Venson Jerky

ApexerER

I have wanted to try and make Jerky for a long time. I am not at all a cook so I was scared to try. Well since I couldn't snowmobile this weekend and I wasn't doing anything I figured I would give it a shot. I borrowed a friends dehydrator and found a recipe for sweet and spicy jerky. I had my wife pick up what was need at the store. On Saturday I thawed 4 steaks out and cut them in as long of strips as possible about a 1/4 inch thick. I made the marinade and let them sit in it overnight. Yesterday I fired up the dehydrator and about 5 hours later I had some really good jerky. I was really impressed with how it came out. Anybody else have some good jerky recipes. Those 4 steaks worth aren't going to last very long. My daughter thought it was really good as well. My daughter asked if I could make BBQ jerky....

• Like 2

Helpful hint: cut the steaks into strips when they are still semi frozen. I use a store bought jerky mix and add some other things such as soy sauce, chili powder, crushed red pepper etc. Never used a dehydrator I have a couple of jerky racks. Oven to 200 with door ajar. It takes anywhere from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours. As you go you take out the thinner pieces as they get done working your way up to the larger. Taste testing along the way is a must.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

I bought a dehydrator last yr and wished I had done it yrs ago.Couldn't believe how easy it is.My favorite recipe is 1 10oz bottle of soy sauce

1/2 bottle of worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons of liquid smoke

2 tablespoons of crushed red peppers

2 tablespoons of garlic powder

I bought a dehydrator last yr and wished I had done it yrs ago.Couldn't believe how easy it is.My favorite recipe is 1 10oz bottle of soy sauce

1/2 bottle of worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons of liquid smoke

2 tablespoons of crushed red peppers

2 tablespoons of garlic powder

The recipe I used had all that, along with 1/2 cup of brown sugar, paprika, teriyaki and I think it was onion powder but I could be wrong.

I like making Jerky myself, instead of slicing my meat I grind everything. You can make jerky out of any lean meat including chicken and turkey. Once your meat is ground I put in a seasoning-curing mixture that gives the flavor and helps with preserving the jerky. There are a lot of different flavors to try and most are very good. The seasoning can be purchased at most outdoor stores like Dicks, Gander mountain or Bass Pro.

To make the jerky strips I use a jerky gun which is similar to a heavy duty caulking gun, it has different tip that produce flat strips or round ones something like a Slim Jim.

Last year I purchased a good quality dehydrator of the Excalibur brand it is way ahead of the old cheap round one I used previously and if you are a big jerky eater that Excalibur is the way to go.

I find the ground meat method every bit as tasty but much easy to chew and eat.

Al

• Like 1

Here is the recipe I used if anyone is interested.

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon garlic salt

1 tablespoon lemon juice

3 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

1/3 cup soy sauce

1 pound venison, cut into 1/4 thick strips

Add all ingredients to list

Directions 
  •  
  • Prep

15 m
  • Cook

4 h
  • Ready In

1 d 4 h 15 m
  1. Whisk together the sugar, black pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, lemon juice, liquid smoke, paprika, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, teriyaki sauce, and soy sauce in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the venison strips and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Mix the venison a few times as it marinates to ensure even absorption of the marinade.
  2. Remove the venison strips from the marinade and squeeze off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Arrange the venison on the racks of a food dehydrator so that it does not overlap.
  3. Dry the venison on High until dry but still pliable, about 4 hours. The jerky should bend without breaking. Store the jerky in an airtight container or in a resealable plastic bag.

• Like 1

I like making Jerky myself, instead of slicing my meat I grind everything. You can make jerky out of any lean meat including chicken and turkey. Once your meat is ground I put in a seasoning-curing mixture that gives the flavor and helps with preserving the jerky. There are a lot of different flavors to try and most are very good. The seasoning can be purchased at most outdoor stores like Dicks, Gander mountain or Bass Pro.

To make the jerky strips I use a jerky gun which is similar to a heavy duty caulking gun, it has different tip that produce flat strips or round ones something like a Slim Jim.

Last year I purchased a good quality dehydrator of the Excalibur brand it is way ahead of the old cheap round one I used previously and if you are a big jerky eater that Excalibur is the way to go.

I find the ground meat method every bit as tasty but much easy to chew and eat.

Al

My buddy uses the "caulk gun" and ground venison. I don't care for it as much but maybe it is just the spices he uses and not the texture.

Here's how I make mine:

Venison Jerky

2lb venison cut into strips

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp Lawrys seasoned salt

2 tsp onion powder or salt

2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 tsp white or brown sugar

1/2 tsp liquid smoke

Marinate 6-8 hours

Cook at 150 degrees for 5-6 hours.

I have a smoker so I don't add the liquid smoke. I smoke my jerky using Jack Daniels Oak Chips.