Tree Stand Screw Steps

Deadhunter25

This is what happen to me a few years ago I lost the key for the lock on my stand. Well I found a key but wasn’t sure if it was the key. So got my stuff together safety vest all that stuff. So I go down to where I hunt did some work checked trail cams and other tree stands. I get to this stand it’s in a hickory tree so I check the steps they seem ok. I also have a safety rope with a slip knot that you attach your safety vest to and side it up as you go up the tree. I was not going to go all the way up I was just going to go up far enough to see if the key fit the lock. I thought about not wearing my vest but I did and hooked up to the safety line. I started up the tree and got to where I need to be I tighten up on the safety line. What I didn’t know was the tree had rotted around one of the steps. The step pulled out of the tree and I fell the safety line tighten up and caught me. But I fell about 12 to 18 inches before I stopped. I got caught by 2 steps one got me in the chin that didn’t do much damage just hurt like hell. The other step caught me in the stomach to rt. and about 4” above my naval. It severely bruised my liver I was out of work for a week and it took over a year for my liver to heal.

A few years ago I fell out of a tree taking a stand down (that used those steps) and one of my worst fears almost came true. Those steps grow into the tree if you leave them in. Even if you don't they are a PIA to get into an oak tree each time. Then yes they will hold you. And when you fall they'll catch you right under the ribs and yank your whole cage out!. Not worth the risk!!! No that didn't happen to me. I managed to kick away from the tree and landed on my head instead. Yes I'm fine. 

No harness and safety rope in use huh?

I thought about not wearing my vest but I did and hooked up to the safety line. I started up the tree and got to where I need to be I tighten up on the safety line. What I didn’t know was the tree had rotted around one of the steps. The step pulled out of the tree and I fell the safety line tighten up and caught me. But I fell about 12 to 18 inches before I stopped. I got caught by 2 steps one got me in the chin that didn’t do much damage just hurt like hell. The other step caught me in the stomach to rt. and about 4” above my naval. It severely bruised my liver I was out of work for a week and it took over a year for my liver to heal.

Sounds like you might have died without that vest and safety line.  Good move............ :yes:

If a guy or gal falls from a treestand, falls off climbing sticks or screw ins WITHOUT a harness and safety line they are in grave danger.

IF they have a harness on, are connected to a safety line and have a plan they have GREAT chance of living.

Never wore a harness until I had my first kid. Since then it's actually become part of my gear. Ive actually even put it on not realizing, until an hour into my hunt while in my ground blind... I was afraid of falling off my milk crate??

• Like 3

I use steps sticks and rails depending what tree I am going in...you don't want to be screwing steps into a hickory or oak. They are my favorite to use in spruce pine and hemlock, Cranford magnums are my favorite, the key to keeping the pin from bending is to screw them in all the way so back of step lays flat against the tree.

I always remove steps, sticks and rails from the woods every year... the straps deteriorate in sunlight. I spend enough money on stands and ways to get up to them,I want them to last as long as possible and they are easy to check on the ground every year before they are put back up.. for you guys that leave stand s and sticks up every year I pray for you all the time.. to many things can happen no matter how well you check them in the tree every year....

I use steps sticks and rails depending what tree I am going in...you don't want to be screwing steps into a hickory or oak. They are my favorite to use in spruce pine and hemlock, Cranford magnums are my favorite, the key to keeping the pin from bending is to screw them in all the way so back of step lays flat against the tree.

I always remove steps, sticks and rails from the woods every year... the straps deteriorate in sunlight. I spend enough money on stands and ways to get up to them,I want them to last as long as possible and they are easy to check on the ground every year before they are put back up.. for you guys that leave stand s and sticks up every year I pray for you all the time.. to many things can happen no matter how well you check them in the tree every year....

Out of curiosity why not oak? Too soft of a tree?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

We used to use them in the majority of our stands, but we have switched mostly to sticks. Now, most of our screw in steps are now used as extra hand holds for stands that sit right at the top of ladder sticks. Some trees force us to use a combo of sticks and screw ins though. I like the longer Ameristep screw ins.

Out of curiosity why not oak?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Oak and hickory are very hard to get a step started in , and in old oak the bark is thick and the screw doesn't get into the wood only the bark... Edited by G-Man

We used to use screw in steps a lot on our private spots along with chain on stands years ago. I can honestly say put in correct they can be very safe and seem a lot easier to climb than ANY strap on steps I have used. We were also a lot younger and nimble back then. I remember hanging stands almost always by myself with no safety lines holding onto the tree with one arm 20 - 30 feet up and screwing in steps or hanging the stand with the other. Very stupid looking back on it. Now I am too old to even have the strength to do that. My brother hung a chain on last year, and we are very safe now he had a safety line all set up, but screwing in 15 steps absolutely sucks, it took him forever and if you don't take out in a year or two they grow into the tree and there to stay forever and makes the tree hazardous down the road for lumber harvest. I have found ladder stands to be a very nice replacement for me.

And if I need to be mobile I use my climb on.

We used to use screw in steps a lot on our private spots along with chain on stands years ago. I can honestly say put in correct they can be very safe and seem a lot easier to climb than ANY strap on steps I have used. We were also a lot younger and nimble back then. I remember hanging stands almost always by myself with no safety lines holding onto the tree with one arm 20 - 30 feet up and screwing in steps or hanging the stand with the other. Very stupid looking back on it. Now I am too old to even have the strength to do that. My brother hung a chain on last year, and we are very safe now he had a safety line all set up, but screwing in 15 steps absolutely sucks, it took him forever and if you don't take out in a year or two they grow into the tree and there to stay forever and makes the tree hazardous down the road for lumber harvest. I have found ladder stands to be a very nice replacement for me.

And if I need to be mobile I use my climb on.

We are starting to move back to using chains on our hang ons as opposed to the nylon straps they come with or ratchet straps. Dont have to worry about the chains. Still use straps for the ladder steps though.