One for the books

Got out last night for the last night of the killing season. Between the cold and just being too busy I haven't gotten out in over a week. Dog just went nuts running around really didn't do much besides sight chase a fox before getting zapped.

On the way home is where the story really starts. I was only maybe a mile and half from home to start with. I get into the middle of the village and a deputy pulls me over for an out tail light (yeah I knew it was out its a wiring problem). He must have been fresh out of the academy. He pulls me over right in front of the school where there's no shoulder. So my trucks in the lane and he comes up to the passenger window. My hands are hanging out the drivers window and the truck is off.

That's when he see's my 22 on the seat. Pulls his gun and says hands where I can see them. I said they're out the window. He says put them on top of the wheel so I do. Then he realizes he needs to come around the truck. So he says put them back out the window. So I do. Then typical slowly with our left hand open the door and step out. Now I had prior taken off my headlamp but the battery was still in my pocket. So I step out and now I'm stuck by the cord. I explain he's got to take the battery out of my pocket.

Then he realizes I've got my pistol on too. So he cuffs me. Now I'm like ok this is by the book its going to be a long night. He says he needs to take my pistol out and put it on the seat. I said I understand but I'm not consenting to any search but am not going to stop you from doing what you need to. I explain how to undo the safety strap and thumb brake so he finally gets the pistol out. He walks me back to the car and asks what I'm doing with all the (2) guns. I said I'm hunting the dog is friendly but a pup he'll jump on you and want to play.

Then the conversation got smoother. Turns out he's a hunter too (not a houndsman though). But the story keeps going. So he needs my id and permit. I said they're in my back pockets of my inside pants. Being a hunter he understood what that meant. So he uncuffs one hand for the permit then the other for the id. Then says he's got to put me in car and needs to take my ​chest pack off. For those that use it you know it slides over one arm. So cuffs off again. I'm like really you have to keep these on?

Finally we're in the car and he's doing his check. We're talking I gave him a business card explained my 22 was a prototype ​HT60 and had a few good laughs. He says he's not going to write me the ticket because I've such a good sport. He says he has to make me wait on the side walk until he pulls away. I said I've got a problem though. Look at my truck. The four ways are just about out the battery is dead. It's been below 0 for a week on a five year old cheap battery and I only drove the truck a mile and a half with two starts in there.

I told him I'll just have to walk the half mile home get my car jump it and walk back because there's no way my wife is getting the baby up to come jump me when I'm that close. He says he can't do that because the guns would be unsecured in the truck. I said I'll carry them home. With a wide eyed look he say I can't walk through the village with a gun. I'm thinking to myself done that plenty of times before. Finally he settles on leaving me in the cuffs and jumping my truck with his cruiser.

45 minutes later I was home with story for the books. Never a dull night running coons!

Edited by Tacti_Steve
  • Like 6

That's good...I don't travel with the shepherds in the car...I would be more afraid for them than me in such a stop...For one thing they are 130#'s and Georges head alone is a scary thing to see let alone the massive body behind it...I would have a hard time explaining I'm alone  if over heard saying......No George,Stop it Dennis!! to keep what are very menacing barks(due to their size) and or growls at bay...The boys are great and lovable animals...as long as I'm never threatened,  Dark ,flashing lights...guy with gun ...yep never travel with the boys... ;)

​Got out last night for the last night of the killing season. Between the cold and just being too busy I haven't gotten out in over a week. Dog just went nuts running around really didn't do much besides sight chase a fox before getting zapped.

On the way home is where the story really starts. I was only maybe a mile and half from home to start with. I get into the middle of the village and a deputy pulls me over for an out tail light (yeah I knew it was out its a wiring problem). He must have been fresh out of the academy. He pulls me over right in front of the school where there's no shoulder. So my trucks in the lane and he comes up to the passenger window. My hands are hanging out the drivers window and the truck is off.

That's when he see's my 22 on the seat. Pulls his gun and says hands where I can see them. I said they're out the window. He says put them on top of the wheel so I do. Then he realizes he needs to come around the truck. So he says put them back out the window. So I do. Then typical slowly with our left hand open the door and step out. Now I had prior taken off my headlamp but the battery was still in my pocket. So I step out and now I'm stuck by the cord. I explain he's got to take the battery out of my pocket.

Then he realizes I've got my pistol on too. So he cuffs me. Now I'm like ok this is by the book its going to be a long night. He says he needs to take my pistol out and put it on the seat. I said I understand but I'm not consenting to any search but am not going to stop you from doing what you need to. I explain how to undo the safety strap and thumb brake so he finally gets the pistol out. He walks me back to the car and asks what I'm doing with all the (2) guns. I said I'm hunting the dog is friendly but a pup he'll jump on you and want to play.

Then the conversation got smoother. Turns out he's a hunter too (not a houndsman though). But the story keeps going. So he needs my id and permit. I said they're in my back pockets of my inside pants. Being a hunter he understood what that meant. So he uncuffs one hand for the permit then the other for the id. Then says he's got to put me in car and needs to take my ​chest pack off. For those that use it you know it slides over one arm. So cuffs off again. I'm like really you have to keep these on?

Finally we're in the car and he's doing his check. We're talking I gave him a business card explained my 22 was a prototype ​HT60 and had a few good laughs. He says he's not going to write me the ticket because I've such a good sport. He says he has to make me wait on the side walk until he pulls away. I said I've got a problem though. Look at my truck. The four ways are just about out the battery is dead. It's been below 0 for a week on a five year old cheap battery and I only drove the truck a mile and a half with two starts in there.

I told him I'll just have to walk the half mile home get my car jump it and walk back because there's no way my wife is getting the baby up to come jump me when I'm that close. He says he can't do that because the guns would be unsecured in the truck. I said I'll carry them home. With a wide eyed look he say I can't walk through the village with a gun. I'm thinking to myself done that plenty of times before. Finally he settles on leaving me in the cuffs and jumping my truck with his cruiser.

45 minutes later I was home with story for the books. Never a dull night running coons!

Cool story. Seems like you took it way better than most would have.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

That's good...I don't travel with the shepherds in the car...I would be more afraid for them than me in such a stop...For one thing they are 130#'s and Georges head alone is a scary thing to see let alone the massive body behind it...I would have a hard time explaining I'm alone  if over heard saying......No George,Stop it Dennis!! to keep what are very menacing barks(due to their size) and or growls at bay...The boys are great and lovable animals...as long as I'm never threatened,  Dark ,flashing lights...guy with gun ...yep never travel with the boys... ;)

You just described us crossing the border into and out of Canada a few times. lol

Our dogs will scare the crap out of anyone that gets to close to the truck, house, yard, well you get the picture.

• Like 1

I know law enforcement has a job to to and they just want to go home at the end of their shift. That being said, it seems like after you gave all the answers, to his questions, and were cooperative in every way. He could have lightened up a bit more on you, towards the end of the encounter. I commend you for keeping your cool, for the benefit of both yourself and the police officer.

• Like 1

Cool story. Seems like you took it way better than most would have.

Really..He had no other choice then to take it the way he did. Broken law with light problem on truck and so on. Cop prob could have made his life much worse than he did if the cop was not a hunter and believed people didnt need to carry guns.

Really..He had no other choice then to take it the way he did. Broken law with light problem on truck and so on. Cop prob could have made his life much worse than he did if the cop was not a hunter and believed people didnt need to carry guns.

I meant his attitude on how things went down.

What law did he break? Did such "breaking of the law" warrant what he got from a rookie officer?

We all know who the law breakers are on this site; they seem to be proud of it to boot, and it's not the OP.

The tail light was the only law I "broke". The pistol was loaded but that legal. The long gun wasn't. It was probably the guys first stop where they had a gun. I don't fault the guy for being by the book. It's his safety and life on the line. That being said in general they just make me keep my hands up while they take the pistol out of the holster. The cuffs were a little much after that.

And for those that read my post a few weeks ago about the SPCA. This is why I don't piss off the deputies. 

• Like 1

Some times we just have remind ourselves to see through the eyes of the other person.  Not all cops are grizzled veterans.  Some are young rookies who are probably nervous and scared.  No amount of training can take place of the real thing when their lives can potentially be in actual danger.  Case in point, Peter Liang.

• Like 2

I meant his attitude on how things went down.

What law did he break? Did such "breaking of the law" warrant what he got from a rookie officer?

We all know who the law breakers are on this site; they seem to be proud of it to boot, and it's not the OP.

You have a hard time comprehending what you read. He broke a law with his first sentence. He didnt break any others but that cop could have put him thru alot worse right or wrong.  And he would have had no choices..Just like the rest of us.

You have a hard time comprehending what you read. He broke a law with his first sentence. He didnt break any others but that cop could have put him thru alot worse right or wrong. And he would have had no choices..Just like the rest of us.

So in your neck of the woods, you'll get cuffed for a broken tail light? Because everything else, was legit.

So in your neck of the woods, you'll get cuffed for a broken tail light? Because everything else, was legit.

Without a doubt. Come to Syracuse or even Watertown and meet one of the rookies in the middle of the night with a piece on your side.

I have a couple 3 that hunt here and some of the stories will raise an eyebrow. Just the way it is these days with guns. Will get worse as time goes on.

If it was me and you had a firearm visibly in the vehicle, I'm cuffing you too.  I'm taking no chances.  I would have removed them once I realized you're cool but initially, I have no idea what your story is about.  Those that don't are some brave mofo's.

Just a couple of weeks ago, two officers were shot when stop a man for drinking in public and simply asked him for ID.  Apparently, scanning his ID would have came up with a bunch of stuff so he decide to shoot the cops and try and make a get-away but then ultimately off'ed himself.  These are the possible situations cops face and frankly, if I was a cop, you would call me one of the a-hole cops because I plan on making it home every night.

• Like 3

You have a hard time comprehending what you read. He broke a law with his first sentence. He didnt break any others but that cop could have put him thru alot worse right or wrong.  And he would have had no choices..Just like the rest of us.

Actually I did have a choice. I could have been a real jerk and made a big scene out of it and ended up with the tail light ticket and thrown to the ground a few times. What I did was just the best choice IMHO. 

• Like 1