Want to buy some .300 WBY

Marion

At 400 yards, not enough to make a big difference in hunting situations..

At ranges over 400 yards, the magnums ( with heavy for caliber bullets) have more of an advantage, but at those ranges you get into more complicated range finding/estimation, etc.

Shooting at very long ranges ( over 400 yards) becomes an art in itself, requiring more equiptment and skills than Joe Average hunter is likely to possess.

At ranges of 400 yards or less where most of us shoot our game animals, the magnums basically just do the same job as standard calibers, with a lot more expense, recoil, meat damage and muzzle blast.

• Like 1

At ranges over 400 yards, the magnums ( with heavy for caliber bullets) have more of an advantage, but at those ranges you get into more complicated range finding/estimation, etc.

Shooting at very long ranges ( over 400 yards) becomes an art in itself, requiring more equiptment and skills than Joe Average hunter is likely to possess.

At ranges of 400 yards or less where most of us shoot our game animals, the magnums basically just do the same job as standard calibers, with a lot more expense, recoil, meat damage and muzzle blast.

You forgot to factor in how pretty they are, and the quality of which they are made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

STOP.  :negative:

Just STOP...........

They won't listen Dan; no way no how.  They'll have to find out with age and experience.

:)

• Like 3

I guess if I hunted in rifle counties in NY, I wouldn't use the 7mmwbymag or 270wbymag, is probably buy the 240 or 257wby. My dad uses a 243wby when he goes upstate.

Point is, weatherby or bust baby!

Same with Leupold. These are just my bias.

I understand other people are bias towards other brands. It's like cars, girls, etc.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I guess if I hunted in rifle counties in NY, I wouldn't use the 7mmwbymag or 270wbymag, is probably buy the 240 or 257wby. My dad uses a 243wby when he goes upstate.

I understand other people are bias towards other brands. It's like cars, girls, etc.

Wait, girls have a brand too?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Without checking tables Biz, I cannot say for sure, but with EQUAL BULLET WEIGHTS, say 150 grain for the 30-06 and .270 WBY , I'm guessing that the 30-06 would,'t drop more than 5 or 6 inches more, if that..Certainly not 3 feet. This is with the 150 grain 30-06 at 2900-3000 fps and the 150 grain.270 Wby mag at perhaps 3200-3300 fps.

Without checking tables Biz, I cannot say for sure, but with EQUAL BULLET WEIGHTS, say 150 grain for the 30-06 and .270 WBY , I'm guessing that the 30-06 would,'t drop more than 5 or 6 inches more, if that..Certainly not 3 feet. This is with the 150 grain 30-06 at 2900-3000 fps and the 150 grain.270 Wby mag at perhaps 3200-3300 fps.

I was joking about the 3 feet, but 6" and maybe I miss then. Tough to judge 6" over the back of a deer. A lot easier to aim still on the body.

For NY, you don't need as much gun. A weatherby 243 or 240 or 257 is fine. But it must be a weatherby! Haha

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Your pops isn't using a 243 Weatherby, he is using a 240 Weatherby Mag I'd assume.

Get it right will ya...............

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.240+Weatherby+Magnum.html

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

We are talking physics, here, Biz, real world ballistics, not some magical property that happens to come with the WEATHERBY brand name..

They are magical laser beams of death. 

Only Weatherby branded rifle I have owned. West German 300WBY with claw mount scope and double set trigger. Brake was removable, but I bought it without a thread protector replacement. Really liked the open sights on this gun, I think they were Recknagels of the time period.

Might be the only pic I have of it, shame, damn good rifle that paid for a hunt in trade......

IMG_0181_zpscsg5xn0x.jpg

• Like 3

As long as I had the rest I would not shy from any NY range I've seen for whitetails

Changing from the 100s to the 120s elk would be a in trouble out west.

0-400 and you really don't need a rangefinder and it takes wind well.

The 300 looks fun- the new 6.5-300 looks like something I need

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was kid and still had baby teeth, I crept too far on my grandfathers weatherby 22-250 (gun in the pic I posted of me as a little kid). After the shot there was blood everywhere. Not knowing what happened and being so young I thought I shot myself or something. The kick knocked a few teeth out. I was gun shy for the next few months.

As long as I had the rest I would not shy from any NY range I've seen for whitetails

Changing from the 100s to the 120s elk would be a in trouble out west.

0-400 and you really don't need a rangefinder and it takes wind well.

The 300 looks fun- the new 6.5-300 looks like something I need

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What caliber bullet (6mm?) and velocity are you talking?  What range are you zeroed at?