Want to buy some .300 WBY

Marion

A 200 yard zero with a .300 mag would be a waste of perfectly good trajectory.

I mean if you insist on using the dam thing, at least use those $5 rounds efficiently !

I think it's time for my NAP... Damn Kids, anyway !...<<grin>>...

Well Mr. Curmudgeon after looking at a ballistic chart I have reconsidered and will zero with 300 yards.

You Can't Beat My Meat!

• Like 1

Well Mr. Curmudgeon after looking at a ballistic chart I have reconsidered and will zero with 300 yards.

You Can't Beat My Meat!

There may be hope for you yet...< grin>...

Also, we already have a Curmudgeon on this forum, and I wouldn't want him to sue me for copyright infringement, so I would rather be called an OOF.... Opinionated Old Fart...

Edited by Pygmy

It would be best if you could shoot at 300-400 yards to avoid any surprises.

I was lucky for many years when I was doing out of state hunting trips every couple of years, because a friend of mine had a 300 yard range behind his barn, complete with a marble table for a benchrest, and he allowed me to use it anytime I wanted. Unfortunately, he sold the place a few months ago. My local club has a 200 yard range, and that suffices for my needs these days.

If I really wanted to shoot at ranges up to 400 yards I have several friends with hayfields where I could set up long range targets.

Back when I was hunting out west, Northern Canada and Alaska, I sighted my .280 4 inches high at 100..That put me +4" at 200, -4" at 300 and -12" at 400. These figures were obtained from shooting actual groups at these ranges, not trajectory tables.

• Like 2

Now I just need to find a range near Westchester that has 300+ yards. Or I suppose I can check the chart and sight in 200 yards holding high to mark the 300 yards approximately

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Before going out west, I always just to go Blue Mtn in Peekskill. I shoot a few rounds at 100yds, then a few rounds at 200yds.

Of course, I always shoot again once landed out west. Never know if things get jarred in flight.

My 7MMWBYMAG is around 3" high at 100, around 4" high at 200, dead-on at 300yd, and around 7-8" low at 400yds.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Now I just need to find a range near Westchester that has 300+ yards. Or I suppose I can check the chart and sight in 200 yards holding high to mark the 300 yards approximately

You Can't Beat My Meat!

External ballistic charts are created by using set parameters, such as scope height, bullet BC, muzzle velocity, zero range, humidity, elevation, etc. unless you are using a chronograph and can input the rest of those variables into a calculator, the factory charts are an estimate, at best.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 3

Looking to buy some .300wby mag 180 grain TSX, unfortunately I found a spot in NH that had them for 74 a box, but alas they won't ship to NY. My question is does anyone know where I can get these for a decent price?

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Hey, just thought of this place. Have you tried calling them?

Precision Armory in Carmel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 7MMWBYMAG is around 3" high at 100, around 4" high at 200, dead-on at 300yd, and around 7-8" low at 400yds.

Nice..........

What is your wind drift at 368 yards in a 10mph cross wind?

How about 439 yards?

Edited by Lawdwaz

Nice..........

What is your wind drift at 368 yards in a 10mph cross wind?

Probably 4-5 inches if I had to guess? Not sure.

but would assume the wind in Wyoming was way over 10mph and never had any issues. Probably closer to 20-30mph. Maybe it's always been into or with the wind my shots? I'm always playing the wind on the stalk but never missed a long shot where I had to then factor in wind.

Then again, of the 4 animals I've killed in Wyoming. Only 1 was over 300yds. Shot a Mulie at 330 and then 440yd.

The other Mulie was around 150 or so I think. Would have to look back at notes.

My 2 antelope were like 180 and under 100, again if I remember correctly.

I did not factor the wind on any of these 5 shots.

Again, idk wind effects but I would guess not worth changing a shot when under 200yds

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Probably 4-5 inches if I had to guess? Not sure.

but would assume the wind in Wyoming was way over 10mph and never had any issues. Probably closer to 20-30mph. Maybe it's always been into or with the wind my shots? I'm always playing the wind on the stalk but never missed a long shot where I had to then factor in wind.

Table 1. Wind Drift of 7 mm Remington Magnum

7mm-wind-drift.gif

Ballistic  &  Environmental Assumptions:
  • Bullet – 7mm Remington Magnum with 160 grain bullet (Federal Premium Vital Shok with Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet)
  • Ballistics – Bullet B.C. = 0.508, muzzle velocity = 2,940 fps
  • Scope Height = 1.5 inches
  • Zero at 200 yards
  • Wind 20 mph @ 90°
  • Setting – Elevation 5,600 feet, 60°F
  • Download the free Ballistics Calculator from Point Blank
  • Note – Point Blank calculates 10 mph wind drift, so double it for 20 mph wind

Bizzy.........Here is a copy/paste that has very little to do with your beloved 7mm Weatherby Mag.  I'm sure with a little work you can get more accurate numbers that may prove to be eye opening.  :)

Table 1. Wind Drift of 7 mm Remington Magnum

7mm-wind-drift.gif Ballistic & Environmental Assumptions:

• Bullet – 7mm Remington Magnum with 160 grain bullet (Federal Premium Vital Shok with Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet)
  • Ballistics – Bullet B.C. = 0.508, muzzle velocity = 2,940 fps
  • Scope Height = 1.5 inches
  • Zero at 200 yards
  • Wind 20 mph @ 90°
  • Setting – Elevation 5,600 feet, 60°F
  • Download the free Ballistics Calculator from Point Blank
  • Note – Point Blank calculates 10 mph wind drift, so double it for 20 mph wind
Bizzy.........Here is a copy/paste that has very little to do with your beloved 7mm Weatherby Mag. I'm sure with a little work you can get more accurate numbers that may prove to be eye opening. :)
So I was pretty close. Especially since I'm zero at 300yd and not 200yd. Also shooting over 3000fps I think?

I guess if I ever missed on a long range shot, I would play the wind and drift it in there.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Really, why not take that thing to the range and spend some time with it?

I bet it isn't much fun.....................

No gun is fun at the range. I only go to the range before a trip. If you mean kick-wise, it's in a lead sled so it doesn't matter what I'm shooting

No gun is fun at the range. I only go to the range before a trip. Shooting guns at a target is boring to me. Rather play golf, fish, or drink by the pool

If you mean kick-wise, it's in a lead sled so it doesn't matter what I'm shooting.