Preserving /Salt

Dom

Before Refrigeration Salt was used to store/preserve meat and fish does anyone know what salt was used?I ask this because if I was to go on a fishing trip and was going to be out for several days/week  there would be no way of keeping ice for that long.Dry ice is an option but salt would be easier to pack.

I'd say just plain old sodium chloride..Get the cheapest non-iodized table salt you can buy.

If it were ME, I'd use a good cooler and dry ice. You would probably be happier with the end product. Ever had salt cod or salt cured herring ? It has it's uses but is still a far cry from fresh/frozen fish.

• Like 1

I'd say just plain old sodium chloride..Get the cheapest non-iodized table salt you can buy.

If it were ME, I'd use a good cooler and dry ice. You would probably be happier with the end product. Ever had salt cod or salt cured herring ? It has it's uses but is still a far cry from fresh/frozen fish.

Salted Cod I have only had prepared one way creamed over toast.Smoked herring is also good.I plan on hiking into a place my dad used to take me when I was younger and I cannot remember if we brang a cooler or a pack I think he used dry ice but cannot remember.

what kind of fishing trip are you going on? I have done many multi day and up to 7 day trips in the middle of the sumer and had no problems keep fish fresh in ice.  Commercial guys keep fish for weeks on ice.  Also if you put the fish in a cold brine it will last many days. Just fill a cooler with ice and dump a box of salt in and it will be fine.  

A yeti is a good option if you can buy one or barrow one.  I never understood guys who spend thousands on fare/rods/reels/tackle and bring a cheap broken down igloo to keep the fish in?!?!?!? Makes no sense to me.

Best thing to do is gut and gill and pack the fish and make sure the water can drain.  just put a couple 2x4s in the bottom of the cooler and pack the fish on top of that.

also here is a tip for any of you salt water guys.... i bring a lot of bunker and bluefish on offshore trips and if you fill the cooler with half ice and some sea water and use baking soda and sea salt they will tighten up and stay fresh for over a week. I have done week long tilefish trips and keeping the bait in this solution will guarantee you fresh bait the whole time, the leftovers I dumped were in better condition then most peoples bait on the first day

Preserving fish with salt is a bit of a lost art. You generally salt and hang dry the fish while preventing any flys depositing their maggots on them with a mesh. It's more work than it's worth for a trip.

Salt slush would bring the temps under 0 degrees Celsius and create less surface area for the cold to escape when cooler is opened.

If your vehicle will be nearby, there's also the option of purchasing a refrigerated cooler that plugs into the car's electrical system.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Dom,

What kind of fish are you going after and how many do you anticipate having to store? If you aren't talking about a bunch I have two words. Shore dinner. The two i went on to Canada, we ended up not bringing any home becasue they went from the lake to the pan...lol

Catch and release, into my tummy!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Saw a program the other night in Alaska where they actually walk out into the ocean and get buckets of salt water. They took the salt and boiled it down until all that was left was the salt. They claimed they used that for a preservative for just about everything but if it was me I would probably go for the dry ice...it will last for days especially in these temperatures.