ANYONE SEE THE NEW NY OUTDOOR NEWS

Larry

Did I miss something?.....because Nuisance Permits and antlered deer aren't a NY thing

Seems to be a thread of arguments based on exceptions from what (little) I read.

He gets both antlered and antlerless. I think the antlered is only August and September or something like that. You have to turn the head into the DEC if you take antlers. When they come and get it they are always shocked that I'm turning it in. He probably has to apply for a special permit or something idk I just take the tag and shoot the deer. 

Edited by Tacti_Steve

There isn't much truth to that. I have seen first hand a spike that was a spike for 2 years straight then the 3rd year he was a high 8 and didn't make it another year. Here is a photo of him as the 8, nevermind the little guy behind him. Either way that is the mentality that a spike will always be a spike. It just isn't true, as deer mature they will grow in antler mass. If you are that concerned with it take a kid hunting and let him/she cull the deer for you.

Here is the deer I shot this year 2 years ago.

Here he is this year. They get bigger just need the time!

re read the post G-man put up. He didn't say that a spike is always a spike. 

He gets both antlered and antlerless. I think the antlered is only August and September or something like that. You have to turn the head into the DEC if you take antlers. When they come and get it they are always shocked that I'm turning it in. He probably has to apply for a special permit or something idk I just take the tag and shoot the deer. 

Yup. those are valid only during the time of year where rubbing damage can occur. 

I know of a HUGE tree farm south of Buffalo that gets to shoot antlered deer for obvious reasons.  I haven't a clue on the particulars of the permit but I'm sure (and hopeful) the DEC keeps an eye on activity there.

The ones i have seen, you had to turn in the antlers that are taken on these permits. 

• Like 1

If the DEC would allow the proven deer deterrent (fabric softener sheets), there wouldn't be as many nuisance permits issued. Speaking primarily up here in apple country.

Deterring the Deer doesn't control the population. The DEC uses nuisance permits just like they do tags to help keep the population in check. If people shoot more Deer during the season then they'd give out less permits. In theory at least. But as the OP put out they're not making any changes so there goes that theory. 

Thanks for the clarification . I had never heard of allowing antlered deer to be taken with nuisance permits . It makes sense on a Christmas Tree farm . 

The Nursery I sue to hunt on got hit hard. They had $75,000 in just rubbing damage in one season. You could see in one night a buck had walked right down a row on 1" caliper ornaments trees and hit every one. once scarred they are about worthless as sales stock. Had to be 40-50 trees in that one row I saw. 

Tacti_Steve

I agree but the problem is population imbalance. These farms attract too many deer and you can't have all these people out there. The farmers can't eat all that meat. Which is why I get in there and help them. They need incentives to donate it to the local food pantries. But they just shoot from the tractor while they're farming. To them its not worth stopping the tractor.

This is the kind of statement that just makes everybody cozy right up to the fantastic idea of F%icK!in Nuisances permits.

Edited by peepsight
  • Like 1

The farm that I hunt with a nuisance permits is only given 3 tags good for does only from April to the end of September. I don’t kill any till August it would creep me out if I field dress a doe with fawns. The rules are if I kill a deer I can’t keep it has to go to a needy family in the owner’s church but I’m ok with that. Gets me on the land for the deer season.

Tacti_Steve

I agree but the problem is population imbalance. These farms attract too many deer and you can't have all these people out there. The farmers can't eat all that meat. Which is why I get in there and help them. They need incentives to donate it to the local food pantries. But they just shoot from the tractor while they're farming. To them its not worth stopping the tractor.

This is the kind of statement that just makes everybody cozy right up to the fantastic idea of F%icK!in Nuisances permits.

I'm not asking you to cozy up with me. If it doesn't make you all warm and fuzzy inside then we should not by accepting a five year plan that does not allow the system to come up with innovative approaches to solve whatever problem you have it. Idling a tractor is wasted money to a farmer. We need to come up with solutions that offset that economic loss and make it beneficial for them. Like maybe an app they can just press a button and someone from the local food pantry shows up and takes care of the deer. Or a program that allows youth to come out and fill the tags. In return the farmer gets some kind of write-off.

And for those of you that don't realize it (I didn't until I started) they are allowed to shoot from any motorized vehicle as long as it is not road registered i.e. tractor. They are also allowed to shoot deer until 11 PM and can use spotlights. And for those that haven't done it shooting Deer in July is no picnic. The mosquito's will eat you alive! You can't manage scent you have to hunt in a manner where it doesn't matter. 90 degrees at high noon and you'll be sweating. You also can't shoot from a tree stand that is mounted on the hedgerow. You have to actually be in the field the permit is good for. That means a tower stand or laying on the ground. Again all "rules" that could be changed in an agile system.

The farm that I hunt with a nuisance permits is only given 3 tags good for does only from April to the end of September. I don’t kill any till August it would creep me out if I field dress a doe with fawns. The rules are if I kill a deer I can’t keep it has to go to a needy family in the owner’s church but I’m ok with that. Gets me on the land for the deer season.

That's a good farmer! I wouldn't mind that as long as my freezer had meat in it. I let a lot of Does go because they have fawns. The rules say if you shoot a Doe with a fawn to shoot the fawn too but that's not how I work. I let them go and give the fawn a chance. I know from a conservation standpoint it might not be the way to go if limiting long term numbers is the goal but for my conscience I like to let them have a fighting chance in life. 

On this subject...they had ,I believe this past issue, a piece on a velvet spike shot on a nuisance permit. The farmer called it in and the DEC came out to the buck in a freezer with other tagged deer...and they issued a ticket .

Two things, the fact it was brought in and called in and they had the others in a freezer. I found That to be very good.... Can't remember what county or unit at the moment, but kudos to the farmer and shooter.

On this subject...they had ,I believe this past issue, a piece on a velvet spike shot on a nuisance permit. The farmer called it in and the DEC came out to the buck in a freezer with other tagged deer...and they issued a ticket .

Two things, the fact it was brought in and called in and they had the others in a freezer. I found That to be very good.... Can't remember what county or unit at the moment, but kudos to the farmer and shooter.

I second that. They should not have been ticketed. They made an honest mistake (by the sounds of it) and did the right thing by reporting it. Had they been repeat offenders or some other bad detail then sure. But this is why people don't report it when they make a mistake.

And for those of you that don't realize it (I didn't until I started) they are allowed to shoot from any motorized vehicle as long as it is not road registered i.e. tractor. They are also allowed to shoot deer until 11 PM and can use spotlights. And for those that haven't done it shooting Deer in July is no picnic. The mosquito's will eat you alive! You can't manage scent you have to hunt in a manner where it doesn't matter. 90 degrees at high noon and you'll be sweating. You also can't shoot from a tree stand that is mounted on the hedgerow. You have to actually be in the field the permit is good for. That means a tower stand or laying on the ground. Again all "rules" that could be changed in an agile system.

The permits I have used are property based, not field based. So as long as you are on the listed property you can use tree stands, blinds and rifles (even in shotgun only areas). Scent isn't as big of a deal at 200+yards. We filled most of them right at dusk. 

• Like 1