ANYONE SEE THE NEW NY OUTDOOR NEWS

Larry

The permits I have used are property based, not field based. So as long as you are on the listed property you can use tree stands, blinds and rifles (even in shotgun only areas). Scent isn't as big of a deal at 200+yards. We filled most of them right at dusk. 

Interesting. The farmers I shoot for all tell me I have to be in the field. One even has special tower stands built specifically for it. I agree at 200 yards no need to worry about scent and can use rifles. One of the fields that's hit heaviest has a lot of houses around it. For safety I just can't get myself to use a rifle. Plus the village is a half mile down the road. Well within a potentially bad scenario with a rifle. I try to use my smooth bore shotgun in most of the farms. For one I break out the 30-06. 

Interesting. The farmers I shoot for all tell me I have to be in the field. One even has special tower stands built specifically for it. I agree at 200 yards no need to worry about scent and can use rifles. One of the fields that's hit heaviest has a lot of houses around it. For safety I just can't get myself to use a rifle. Plus the village is a half mile down the road. Well within a potentially bad scenario with a rifle. I try to use my smooth bore shotgun in most of the farms. For one I break out the 30-06. 

Sounds like their rule to control it how they want. Which can also be the price of admission.  would love to find another spot to do this. Nice having that little venison boost going into the hunting camp season. Takes the pressure off...lol

• Like 2

I'm not asking you to cozy up with me. If it doesn't make you all warm and fuzzy inside then we should not by accepting a five year plan that does not allow the system to come up with innovative approaches to solve whatever problem you have it. Idling a tractor is wasted money to a farmer. We need to come up with solutions that offset that economic loss and make it beneficial for them. Like maybe an app they can just press a button and someone from the local food pantry shows up and takes care of the deer. Or a program that allows youth to come out and fill the tags. In return the farmer gets some kind of write-off.

And for those of you that don't realize it (I didn't until I started) they are allowed to shoot from any motorized vehicle as long as it is not road registered i.e. tractor. They are also allowed to shoot deer until 11 PM and can use spotlights. And for those that haven't done it shooting Deer in July is no picnic. The mosquito's will eat you alive! You can't manage scent you have to hunt in a manner where it doesn't matter. 90 degrees at high noon and you'll be sweating. You also can't shoot from a tree stand that is mounted on the hedgerow. You have to actually be in the field the permit is good for. That means a tower stand or laying on the ground. Again all "rules" that could be changed in an agile system.

I was pretty sure you weren't asking me to cozy up to you .... thanks for clarifying though. My frustration is hunting in direct proximity to vineyard properties with nuisance permits where they will not allow anyone in to hunt. I've watched the quality and quantity of the local deer herd go steadily down for the last however many yrs. I can understand that anyone who is allowed to hunt in those situations wouldn't feel the same way.

• Like 1

I was pretty sure you weren't asking me to cozy up to you .... thanks for clarifying though. My frustration is hunting in direct proximity to vineyard properties with nuisance permits where they will not allow anyone in to hunt. I've watched the quality and quantity of the local deer herd go steadily down for the last however many yrs. I can understand that anyone who is allowed to hunt in those situations wouldn't feel the same way.

I understand your frustrations. You should contact your local DEC office and express it to them. Maybe they'll issue them less permits. You never know. At least you can say you tried something. 

• Like 2

What can the DEC do about it? Is there a stipulation between number of permits and allowing access?

Typically nuisance permits require a damage assessment at some point. lodging a complaint may make them reevaluate it. Then again it may be ignored, but not contacting them assures nothing will be done. 

• Like 2

What can the DEC do about it? Is there a stipulation between number of permits and allowing access?

They're not going to do anything about limiting the access and they shouldn't. That is the landowners right. They can adjust the number of permits they give them based on the surrounding Deer population and damage assessment. 

• Like 1