What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

7 hours ago, mowin said:

I don't blame you to be nervous AF. I'd be shaking like a bowl of jello. 

You've got a great pit. Heard nothing but great reviews on PK pits. B&B is the choice of bbq pros.

I'd be happy to place next to last, lol. Here's hoping your in the top 10. 

I'm pulling for you. Like I said I'm way to scared to even enter any event. 

I can cook a whole hog for a wedding reception,  but anything competition wise has me shaking in my boots.

I’ve been watching a bunch of FB live videos on some of the bbq groups I’m in and watching YouTube videos and yesterday I realized that some of these guys that are competing in the World Championship will be competing against me in Pa on the 15th. My goal is to not place DAL and I’d be happy for my first comp

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have my last slab of blue fin tuna belly to smoke. Anyone have any recipes? Stuff isn't easy to get so I don't want to screw it up. It's sushi grade. Melts in your mouth and has marbling like a ribeye so it's not like I have to cook it to any temp for safety.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Fish is the one thing that I just can't get right.   Can smoke a whole hog, but put fish in front of me and I'm lost, lol
When I Google "cooking" it by its name otoro I basically get nothing other than how to cut it for sushi or sashimi and eat it raw. I'm thinking cooking it might be sacrilegious to others. I believe you can smoke anything though. Grilled it rare to medium rare before but want to try something different. Maybe more of a low temp cold smoke I'm thinking.

I would have a hard time smoking a high dollar piece lol. That said I have heard a brine for 45 minutes. Then season and its a relatively quick smoke at low temp and then some heat to finish to doneness and outer texture.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

When I Google "cooking" it by its name otoro I basically get nothing other than how to cut it for sushi or sashimi and eat it raw. I'm thinking cooking it might be sacrilegious to others. I believe you can smoke anything though. Grilled it rare to medium rare before but want to try something different. Maybe more of a low temp cold smoke I'm thinking.

Check out smokinhmeatfourms.com.  lots of fish recipes 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mowin said:

@bruno1 Is your comp this weekend? 

It was last weekend. Came in 16th which was a huge accomplishment for my first comp. I definitely have to work on time management though. I was like a deer in headlights 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, bruno1 said:

It was last weekend. Came in 16th which was a huge accomplishment for my first comp. I definitely have to work on time management though. I was like a deer in headlights 

Congratulations. Solid showing for your first comp.  If you ever do a comp out in the Albany area, let me know. I'll be your wingman. I'll probably learn a trick or two in the process, lol. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:31 AM, mowin said:

Congratulations. Solid showing for your first comp.  If you ever do a comp out in the Albany area, let me know. I'll be your wingman. I'll probably learn a trick or two in the process, lol. 

I’ll definitely take you up on that offer if there’s ever a comp up that way. Going solo is very hard but thankfully in SCA those people really help each other. I literally couldn’t set up my pop up tent alone and without even asking a few other teams came over and literally just started helping without me even asking. Made a bunch of new friends that day and I’m not the outgoing type. Definitely a good time and a great experience 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Late pic from Monday's BBQ. Smoked a chuck roast (I can't justify $100 for a brisket when this is nearly as good for $20), a rack of ribs, and 20 or so chicken legs. Then I had strip steaks, hots, hamburgers, italian sausage, and jalapeno cheddar venison sausages on the grill.

md1.thumb.jpg.c304c49354444671bc6e95ea69458813.jpgmd2.thumb.jpg.d93dfc030e1b153d2afb0e40089b647e.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

Late pic from Monday's BBQ. Smoked a chuck roast (I can't justify $100 for a brisket when this is nearly as good for $20), a rack of ribs, and 20 or so chicken legs. Then I had strip steaks, hots, hamburgers, italian sausage, and jalapeno cheddar venison sausages on the grill.

md1.thumb.jpg.c304c49354444671bc6e95ea69458813.jpgmd2.thumb.jpg.d93dfc030e1b153d2afb0e40089b647e.jpg

Look great.  I make poor man's burnt ends out of chuck steaks all the time.  Love em.

I was lucky to have a 15lb brisket in the freezer.  Still have a 18lber I'm saving for the 4th. 

• Like 2