What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

And here they are. In the fridge to cure overnight and then cook cut and package tomorrow. GF got me a kit for making snack sticks so I used that and added in sweet baby Ray's sweet and spicy BBQ sauce instead of any water. Hopefully they work out 4f3ec88953b9bd43cc89948241ee86b3.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Yes sir!!! What’s the cook time and temp on those? Any smoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Yes sir!!! What’s the cook time and temp on those? Any smoke?

I ended up doing them in the oven. 30mph winds off the lake was thinking the smoker didn't stand a chance. I did 200 degrees in the oven for 2 hours, then 250 another 20 minutes. 1f2df9688fe108606d4e8e25f87a1acd.jpg

• Like 8

Cracked pepper and jalapeno sausage in the smoker. Using hickory and apple but also an onion. Saw it on the food network as an onion smoke and thought I would try it. 9b18b5e4a2fe82043fc0fe48489b888f.jpg2915ed897a15b2823f07602221af7de3.jpg

Nice, how did that come out? I would think the onion smoke would add some sulfur in the mix

Nice, how did that come out? I would think the onion smoke would add some sulfur in the mix

Just put them in so won't know for a while. I only did one small onion cut in half on top of the wood chips.

Seems like it has good smoke flavor. I added onion powder when I made them but whether it was the onion or not it has the flavor.

I smoked these cause when I cased them they were too fine grain from the sausage attachment on the grinder. So 1/2 the bunch came out like that. The other I ran through my regular sausage stuffer on the kitchen aid and I left it as fresh sausage in the freezer.

This will be used with eggs, soups and stews, pizza toppings etc. f7a25c780aadb3836a06bfc1468ff225.jpg

• Like 7

Aldi had Atlantic (farm raised) Salmon halves for $7.99/lb. Checked the already smoked and was $24/lb. Maybe pay for the smoker someday! Couple pork chops to boot which I will finish when fish done. Brown sugar/kosher salt/pepper cure for 8 hours, chill uncovered in frig overnight to get that sticky outside to hopefully grab the smoke. 

IMG_4395.JPG

• Like 4

Aldi had Atlantic (farm raised) Salmon halves for $7.99/lb. Checked the already smoked and was $24/lb. Maybe pay for the smoker someday! Couple pork chops to boot which I will finish when fish done. Brown sugar/kosher salt/pepper cure for 8 hours, chill uncovered in frig overnight to get that sticky outside to hopefully grab the smoke. 
IMG_4395.thumb.JPG.6f85e2190dcdac7af756dbf06560ecd7.JPG

When done, Is that lox (for cold applications on bagels) or smoked salmon(for dinner next to veggies)?

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

When done, Is that lox (for cold applications on bagels) or smoked salmon(for dinner next to veggies)

dinner, salad, just stealing when lady not watching salmon as opposed to gravlax style cold cured in the fridge which slices very thin. 

IMG_4399.JPG

• Like 2

Assembling the cast of characters for hot Italian Sausage weekend. Still earning my smoker stripes. Now have the Inch and a qtr collagen casings and a couple attempts under my belt, they were so-so but gone quickly nevertheless!

Using this recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/35989/hot-italian-sausage/  seems the largest variable/unknown is the pepper flakes' heat, I'm going with homegrown green and red flakes that are WAY hot.  sorry for bad pic, if I ever stop buying hunting, fishing, BBQ toys I'll get a decent phone.

IMG_4406.JPG

Edited by Unit8R
bad oic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Unit8R said:

Assembling the cast of characters for hot Italian Sausage weekend. Still earning my smoker stripes. Now have the Inch and a qtr collagen casings and a couple attempts under my belt, they were so-so but gone quickly nevertheless!

Using this recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/35989/hot-italian-sausage/  seems the largest variable/unknown is the pepper flakes' heat, I'm going with homegrown green and red flakes that are WAY hot.  sorry for bad pic, if I ever stop buying hunting, fishing, BBQ toys I'll get a decent phone.

IMG_4406.JPG

You're going to smoke Italian sausage?  I've never tried that. Curious hot they turn out?

58 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

hot they turn out

Me Too! I put the red and green flakes in a coffee grinder to make then very small in order to get throughout all the meat better... took the top off the grinder and the fumes put me on the floor! Seems low smoke is called for. I've smoked store bought and were great.

Smoked some smoked/apple and cheddar sausage. Came out much better this time. Did 1.5 hours at 175 then 20 minutes at 200. Put on a toasted ciabata roll with butter and onions . Was great. Next time might do another 1/2 hr of smoke at 175. d01eafcc042faaeea0b87095b536df2d.jpg69b354085d0c4a29113e2e0ed1a8d1e9.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...