What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

This stunned me as it is the only thing I have seen that has gone down in price lately. Was $9.95 (Aldi) a pound last time I smoked salmon halves. Have them curing, will smoke tomorrow as SW wind will not drive neighbors nuts as well as having to give them a chunk! If you are USA only I hope to do a few lakers as well.

1541824664_salmonlabel.thumb.jpg.c0ec2907bab28bb0d1687c29c3c8239a.jpg

Edited by Unit8R
clean up screw up!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Hot smoke ?

yeah, smoker temp at 154 and internal temp goal of 145. maybe a little sweet from brown sugar in the brine (along with kosher salt and cracked black pepper) and maple syrup basting.  I need to improve getting the pin bones out of the lakers.

Homemade smoked sausage and smoked apple and cheddar sausage c7ae1b7f7e0c89735ac81f18d963f434.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

What kind of casing do you use? I think I need to get away from the pig intestine and try some of the edible synthetics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of casing do you use? I think I need to get away from the pig intestine and try some of the edible synthetics

I have a whole bag of mixed collagen casings you can try

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Picked up a 3lb brisket from Aldis pre seasoned with Texas BBQ, through in some venison summer sausage with jalapeños and cheese to fill up the smoker. 1st try with the Aldis brisket,  we'll see if it's worth it? 

20220728_101558.jpg

Is that just the point?  

23 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I never thought about smoking the shank. Did you just dry rub and smoke? Marinate? Please tell us!

It’s an evolving recipe.  This batch was dry-rubbed and smoked for 2 hours.  Then steamed in the oven for a few hours.  The hardest part was pulling the meat… but it’s tender and tastes great.   Like slightly dry pulled pork. 

• Like 1