What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

It’s an evolving recipe.  This batch was dry-rubbed and smoked for 2 hours.  Then steamed in the oven for a few hours.  The hardest part was pulling the meat… but it’s tender and tastes great.   Like slightly dry pulled pork. 

I went from smoker to crock pot and it was great::.easy to scope out the inedible bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Picked up a 3lb brisket from Aldis pre seasoned with Texas BBQ, through in some venison summer sausage with jalapeños and cheese to fill up the smoker. 1st try with the Aldis brisket,  we'll see if it's worth it? 
20220728_101558.thumb.jpg.3d70dd196a3b947d86b6bb3ec910d23e.jpg

Smoking you should be fine but I haven’t bought a decent piece of meat at aldi yet

I went from smoker to crock pot and it was great::.easy to scope out the inedible bits.

I may have to make a trip to borgatti. Smoke Shanks…. Make broth with the bones and lots of chicken feet.. reduce till the stock is so thick it would chill like jello… mix stock with meat and maybe some cheese…

Use the borgatti sheets to make ravioli

2 hours ago, Chef said:

Smoking you should be fine but I haven’t bought a decent piece of meat at aldi yet

Yeah,  the brisket was a little tough. My buddy has had them and he said they're good. Maybe I didn't do it right? but at the price of brisket I'm not going to try it again.  

Yeah,  the brisket was a little tough. My buddy has had them and he said they're good. Maybe I didn't do it right? but at the price of brisket I'm not going to try it again.  

Nah aldi meat sucks and is always tough

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Competed 2 weeks ago in Smyrna,Delaware against a pretty stacked field and took 1st place. Got my Golden Ticket to compete in the Worlds Championship in Fort Worth,Texas next March. If you’ve never competed in an SCA event it really is a lot of fun and meet some great people. Here’s my winning steak

E988CBB6-EAE9-490F-86C7-1C1248E42F54.jpeg

E0AAB1C5-BCC0-4D55-8E50-FE20420E5897.jpeg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's awesome Bruno! I watch BBQ brawl on the food network and it's amazing all that goes into cooking it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Definitely will. Have more comps coming up fro Maryland to NC I’ll be attending so will keep everyone updated 

• Like 2

Definitely will. Have more comps coming up fro Maryland to NC I’ll be attending so will keep everyone updated 
At those competitions are you doing multiple different entrees to win? And they choose a winner based on overall? The one i was watching they always did chicken, pulled pork, ribs and brisket. That's a whole lot to cook in one day.

• Like 1

Competed 2 weeks ago in Smyrna,Delaware against a pretty stacked field and took 1st place. Got my Golden Ticket to compete in the Worlds Championship in Fort Worth,Texas next March. If you’ve never competed in an SCA event it really is a lot of fun and meet some great people. Here’s my winning steak
E988CBB6-EAE9-490F-86C7-1C1248E42F54.thumb.jpeg.d141d9831572aed423106396a74e622b.jpeg
E0AAB1C5-BCC0-4D55-8E50-FE20420E5897.thumb.jpeg.86854cc66bb525812a692b04cac46ff5.jpeg

That's tremendous- is this a "just a hobby" or are you looking to make a business with your BBQ? Are you sponsored- good but if $$$ in travel and competition I imagine-Really cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bruno1 said:

E988CBB6-EAE9-490F-86C7-1C1248E42F54.jpeg

E0AAB1C5-BCC0-4D55-8E50-FE20420E5897.jpeg

Wow that's impressive good luck to you in Texas. Do you have a restaurant? Food truck? Pull up and go spot in NY? I'm sure the NYhunting forum wouldn't mind supporting you.

8 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

At those competitions are you doing multiple different entrees to win? And they choose a winner based on overall? The one i was watching they always did chicken, pulled pork, ribs and brisket. That's a whole lot to cook in one day.

No what you seen is KCBS events. Just to far for me to compete and takes a lot of time leading up to the event. I cook SCA events which stands for Steak Cookoff Association. We cook ribeyes. They judge it on taste,texture,doneness and overall appearance. Best part about these events are that they are 1 day events unlike KCBS where you’re prepping meat for days leading up to the comp

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

That's tremendous- is this a "just a hobby" or are you looking to make a business with your BBQ? Are you sponsored- good but if $$$ in travel and competition I imagine-Really cool.

Yes it’s just a hobby but it’s like kinda like hunting I guess. It’s a hobby that I’m passionate about. After qualifying for Worlds I’ve had numerous different companies reach out in the past week but I’m waiting to hear all the offers first before I make a decision. I really would love to open a BBQ food truck here on LI but we live in the “land of the no”. Just to many hoops,hurdles and permits for my liking

• Like 3

8 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Wow that's impressive good luck to you in Texas. Do you have a restaurant? Food truck? Pull up and go spot in NY? I'm sure the NYhunting forum wouldn't mind supporting you.

Thank you very much. I don’t have any ties to the food industry. I’m actually a painting contractor until hunting season and then I guide here on Long Island the entire season. Would love to do a food truck but seems like more of a hassle just trying to legally find a spot to park let alone all the permits these crooks want