What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

A twist on the normal Easter dinner! I'm doing pulled pork, threw in some almonds, never did almonds before, thought WTH there's plenty of room. Also had some sausage from the Euro Deli that I thought could use a little more smoke! 
IMG_20180331_093222965_HDR.thumb.jpg.2d91b92db7e5f51f543c2ddf68dc6bd2.jpg

Throw that pork butt in a crockpot with a beer, root beer or a Dr Pepper. Low temp from 18-24 hours. You’ll be able to pull out the bone with tongs and stir with a wooden spoon. No pulling needed. I’d never go back to the old way again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go Jay! 24 hrs in the crock, it better be good, having 12 people for dinner tonight.
IMG_20180401_105314081.thumb.jpg.b58ff15f7a1daa9dada9e7aa890b7899.jpg

Oh it will be ! Don’t add bbq sauce. Let whoever is eating add on top before capping with the roll top. Gonna have homemade slaw too I’d hope. And how good does your house smell right now ?!

59 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Oh it will be ! Don’t add bbq sauce. Let whoever is eating add on top before capping with the roll top. Gonna have homemade slaw too I’d hope. And how good does your house smell right now ?!

Pulled the bone out and shed the meat up pulling out what fat I could see. Saved the juice and separated the fat from it and added it back into the meat. Will just reheat it later in the crock. The only thing I did notice is there isn't that good bark on the outside.

I did make home made coleslaw. The first time for me, hope it's good. And yes the house smells like the Dinosaur BBQ!  

I bet if I opened my windows Lawd would be here in seconds!

• Like 2

Stuffed peppers.  

Stuffing was ground venison, some diced onions, parmesan cheese, marinara sauce and a pinch of oregano. Toped it with some of my smoked pepper jack for the last few minutes to melt.  

Smoked on my pellet pooper @ 225* for about 2.5 hrs until the pepper was soft. 

Great smoke flavor, and will be doing these again. 

Wife had no clue it was venison lol. 

IMG_20180404_165405644.jpg

IMG_20180404_184414969.jpg

• Like 2

Stuffed peppers.  
Stuffing was ground venison, some diced onions, parmesan cheese, marinara sauce and a pinch of oregano. Toped it with some of my smoked pepper jack for the last few minutes to melt.  
Smoked on my pellet pooper @ 225* for about 2.5 hrs until the pepper was soft. 
Great smoke flavor, and will be doing these again. 
Wife had no clue it was venison lol. 
IMG_20180404_165405644.thumb.jpg.21b14fa663b33a6ecbb2ec739079076c.jpg
IMG_20180404_184414969.thumb.jpg.f8cd6906ae6d62298999fbb1b5b3d500.jpg

I always wonder how to feel about that “wife didn’t even know it was venison” comment. I enjoy venison too much to “waste” on those who just want chop meat. My feeling is if i want it to taste like beef, I will cook beef..that’s a hell of a lot easier to get than venison especially since I suck at hunting!!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I always wonder how to feel about that “wife didn’t even know it was venison” comment. I enjoy venison too much to “waste” on those who just want chop meat. My feeling is if i want it to taste like beef, I will cook beef..that’s a hell of a lot easier to get than venison especially since I suck at hunting!!!

I get what you're saying, but I also like using venison in different dishes that normally use beef.  My wife "likes" venison, but only if she doesn't know it's venison. 

So how is it a "waste" if it gets used and enjoyed?  I love the unmolested taste of venison, but it's better for us then store bought beef, so if I can use it in dishes she likes I will.

The only waste of venison, is one that's shot and not recovered. If it's in the freezer, and gets eaten, no matter what the recipe is, it hardly a "waste".  

Maybe it helps that I don't suck at hunting, and have a ample supply of venison. 

Edited by mowin

Getting ready to start using the smokers. After a lot of reading on a smoking forum I figured out how to get my vertical charcoal smoker to hold heat better and longer. I have to make some mods ( drill some holes ) to the charcoal pan to allow more of the ash to fall away when I shake.

Looking forward to seasoning and testing the propane smoker as well. Still don't have a cover it, but a couple guys said a tarp would be fine, so will be getting that done soon.

• Like 1

wife cooking some smoked ham steaks i put in the fridge. i'm at work though. i've got a decent sized pork loin thawed in the fridge to smoke. probably tomorrow. time is the issue and hard to instruct whomever will be home to do part of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Got this bad boy in the smoker. Wild turkey breast enhanced with dry rub and injected with creole butter. Will add photo of finished product.

Sorry this is the only pic that would upload. After dinner this is all that's left. Everything turned out great. Will put rest in whatsfor dinner.

DSCN4338.JPG

0417181527.thumb.jpg.fc88761fdb54898a43fa244d22ad1f4c.jpgi made this in my masterbuilt smoker. Jerky [beef:search:i prefer venison used what i had] and a salmon 180 degs @ 41/2 hrs .I know its a little high but it was 43 degs and from past experience the outside temp affects the smoker [ i gotta buy the blanket that wraps around the unit they sell] The jerky i cheated i used high mountain seasoning my daughter gave me .the salmon i made a dry cure 1/2 maple sugar ,1/2 cup brown sugar ,1 cup of salt[ going to use like a little more than 1/2 cup it was a little salty not much but tone it down a little] and i basted it with maple syrup  my friend john a farmer up in durham where i hunt makes maple syrup, my wife said it looks like motor oil .i told her just taste it and she loved it. in the early part of the season the sap is very light then it gets darker as it get warmer

• Like 2

0417181527.thumb.jpg.fc88761fdb54898a43fa244d22ad1f4c.jpgi made this in my masterbuilt smoker. Jerky [beef:search:i prefer venison used what i had] and a salmon 180 degs @ 41/2 hrs .I know its a little high but it was 43 degs and from past experience the outside temp affects the smoker [ i gotta buy the blanket that wraps around the unit they sell] The jerky i cheated i used high mountain seasoning my daughter gave me .the salmon i made a dry cure 1/2 maple sugar ,1/2 cup brown sugar ,1 cup of salt[ going to use like a little more than 1/2 cup it was a little salty not much but tone it down a little] and i basted it with maple syrup  my friend john a farmer up in durham where i hunt makes maple syrup, my wife said it looks like motor oil .i told her just taste it and she loved it. in the early part of the season the sap is very light then it gets darker as it get warmer

Does the beef drippings bother the salmon flavor?

no thats why i did it that way the salmon does drip but the jerky not so much it dries. oh yeah and BEFORE i smoke anything i let it sit outside and let it dry  its called developing a pellicle  its so the smoke adheres to the meat .If its not windy enough i put a fan on it but this damn long winter thats no an issue

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

developing a pellicle

I've smoking stuff for years and this is the first time I've ever heard of this? Although must of the meat I smoke is dry rubbed not brined so I guess i didn't miss anything? Cased sausages wouldn't need to "develope a pellicle" I assume. I smoked corned venison for pastrami once and I just left it in the fridge over night to dry before I smoked it.  It may have formed a pellicle, I didn't notice , it did turn out great and now I want to make some more!!

I've smoking stuff for years and this is the first time I've ever heard of this? Although must of the meat I smoke is dry rubbed not brined so I guess i didn't miss anything? Cased sausages wouldn't need to "develope a pellicle" I assume. I smoked corned venison for pastrami once and I just left it in the fridge over night to dry before I smoked it.  It may have formed a pellicle, I didn't notice , it did turn out great and now I want to make some more!!

He is correct the pellicle is very important, more so in the salmon then the beef though