What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Crab poppers,  care to share the recipe? 

I have not tried this exact recipe but I will update Sunday if it is a winner. It should be!

And that recommended serving size must be a typo. I think it should be 10.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Wild turkey breast, brined overnight, stuffed with cream cheese, fresh picked leeks, green pepper, and garlic. Wrapped up in a bacon weave. On the pit @225* with hickory. 

IMG_20190511_134302842.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Memorial day BBQ.  

Decided to use the reverse flow stick burner today.

Got up at this morning at 3:00am to fire her up.  

12# pork but for pulled pork, 2 racks of St Louis ribs, stuffed shrooms and jalapenos and baked beans.

Pork but hit the stall about hr ago at 163°. Wrapped it and the ribs at the same time. Ribs are getting the 3-2-1 method. 

Using cherry and hickory for this cook. 

IMG_20190526_121135677.jpg

IMG_20190526_121151584.jpg

• Like 2

Memorial day BBQ.  
Decided to use the reverse flow stick burner today.
Got up at this morning at 3:00am to fire her up.  
12# pork but for pulled pork, 2 racks of St Louis ribs, stuffed shrooms and jalapenos and baked beans.
Pork but hit the stall about hr ago at 163°. Wrapped it and the ribs at the same time. Ribs are getting the 3-2-1 method. 
Using cherry and hickory for this cook. 

IMG_20190526_121135677.thumb.jpg.0d86662a44a28190e58c2bb734d4521d.jpg
IMG_20190526_121151584.thumb.jpg.e4effa17699b18cdadf3b8b737387062.jpg

Where does one get a smoker like that? So for real and anyone can answer, I don’t want electric or pellet, and would prefer no propane. What do you Guys use to smoke with straight wood no extras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, chefhunter86 said:

Where does one get a smoker like that? So for real and anyone can answer, I don’t want electric or pellet, and would prefer no propane. What do you Guys use to smoke with straight wood no extras

Mine is a Bubba grills out of GA.  Lang, medowcreek, are two other nice rigs, but I warn you, they aren't cheap. Add shipping, and it hurts even more.  

Mine is a Bubba grills out of GA.  Lang, medowcreek, are two other nice rigs, but I warn you, they aren't cheap. Add shipping, and it hurts even more.  

Yea, it kills me cause I really want one but don’t want to spend the coin. I wonder if there are any members here that could make one. Non need for it to be on wheels

27 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Yea, it kills me cause I really want one but don’t want to spend the coin. I wonder if there are any members here that could make one. Non need for it to be on wheels

I'd look into the OK Joe's. 

There's a few mods that need to be done, but there not too difficult. Lots of info online about them.  

I also looked into getting one local made, the cost savings wasn't enough for me to take the chance.  

There's more to it than just welding stuff up. The stack size has to be determined by the size of the cook chamber and the fire box opening to the cook chamber needs to be calculated. If stuff is off, the pit won't flow properly and your going to struggle with the fire. Probably getting better taste or just frustrated trying to run the thing.   Established pitmakers have all that figured out, and build according.  Wasn't about to shell out 3-4k on a pit only to hope it worked properly. 

Not to say a local guy couldn't figure it out, but the risk wasn't worth it.   If I had a pit I knew worked, and they could copy it, different story.

My pit holds temps within 3° from right to left.  I absolutely love it.   I'm no professional, and mostly cook for family, but I often do whole hog cooks for a little extra cash. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

How are they assembled? 

Looking forward to the finish pic's. 

Make a meatloaf mix of any burger.  Cut onions in half and carefully peel the outer petals apart.  Then you have two onion halves.  Make meatloaf mix into a ball that you can fit the 2 matching onion petals around it like a shell.  Then wrap a couple of pieces of bacon around it and toothpick to hold together. 

After cooked glaze with BBQ sauce and let cook another 10 minutes.  

Usually get two or three sets of onion petals out of one large onion. Then the rest I dice up and put into the meatloaf mix.  

• Like 2

Going in the smoker soon.  Venison onion bacon bombs.  Added in some TF mighty taco sauce and will glaze them with it when almost done. Been saving it for these. 
IMG_20190531_155822162.thumb.jpg.78e76f8343a6472819bb2742d2bbf88b.jpg

I gotta try these!
Just an FYI you can get Mighty Taco Sauce in Tops around Syracuse

21 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've checked tops in canastota and Sherrill but none there. Will have to remember that when in Syr again.  Thanks.

Camillus Tops for sure, maybe B’ville too.  Plus Amazon.