What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

25 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

What generates the heat in the pellet tray ?

You light the pellets.  They smoulder creating the smoke.   Your element in the smoker is the heat source, but you don't have to worry about the element getting hot enough to generate smoke as It's heat only.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Fletch said:

Got ribs in, just foiled. I usually do 2.5,1.5 and 30-45

I think 3-2-1 is a bit long. Easy enough to tell by look though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i shortened hour 2 because of time and i honestly thing it hurt the "fall off the bone" or maybe the other steps were too long. Will experiment more.

I hope you guys don't mind this random question, but I figured this would be the best thread to ask it in. It's really strange because I thought of this while trying to fall asleep the other night. Has anyone experimented with combining sous vide and smoking? ( @turkeyfeathers?) Something like instead of smoking the meat for say 12 hours, you sous vide it for 24 hours (with the rub spices on it) and then just smoke it for just 6 hours. I'm wondering if you would get less shrinkage/higher yield of the end product. There is the issue of what to do with the "juice" inside the bag from the sous vide cooking. Maybe add it back after the meat is sliced? If this post  is too out of left field, feel free to ignore.

32 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I hope you guys don't mind this random question, but I figured this would be the best thread to ask it in. It's really strange because I thought of this while trying to fall asleep the other night. Has anyone experimented with combining sous vide and smoking? ( @turkeyfeathers?) Something like instead of smoking the meat for say 12 hours, you sous vide it for 24 hours (with the rub spices on it) and then just smoke it for just 6 hours. I'm wondering if you would get less shrinkage/higher yield of the end product. There is the issue of what to do with the "juice" inside the bag from the sous vide cooking. Maybe add it back after the meat is sliced? If this post  is too out of left field, feel free to ignore.

i'd be worried that the meat wouldn't absorb the smoke well after it's "cooked". Plenty of catering and wedding places do sous vide all their meat in advance and then they throw them on the grill to sear them. Really shortens the process and allows them to crank out a ton of steaks fast.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, MPHunter said:

Those look awesome. Reverse sear is definitely the best way to cook a nice thick steak.

You know what really put this over the top is I smoked garlic also. Then dropped the garlic in a pan with butter over charcoal. When I seared the steaks I did them over charcoal and basted with the melted butter and garlic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doing an 8 pound pork butt tomorrow for pulled pork ..trying to get my times right for a 6;00 dinner.
How long for initial smoke(char broil-propane vertical smoker-225 with Hickory chops)?
Then can I finish it on grill or slow cooker? How long?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Doing an 8 pound pork butt tomorrow for pulled pork ..trying to get my times right for a 6;00 dinner.
How long for initial smoke(char broil-propane vertical smoker-225 with Hickory chops)?
Then can I finish it on grill or slow cooker? How long?

I run my butts at 250 until I hit 160 then double wrap with heavy aluminum foil until I hit 203.  After that I take it and wrap it in a towel for 2 hours before I shred it. Trust me, leaving it wrapped for 2 hours allows juices to flow back and won’t dry out as fast. Also it will still be so hot you’ll probably need gloves to handle and shred it. I’d want my butt done by 4 for a 6 o’clock dinner. I usually inject and rub mine the night before with either a mixture of pineapple juice and white sugar or apple juice and white sugar. 

• Like 3