What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

18 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Doing an 8 pound pork butt tomorrow for pulled pork ..trying to get my times right for a 6;00 dinner.
How long for initial smoke(char broil-propane vertical smoker-225 with Hickory chops)?
Then can I finish it on grill or slow cooker? How long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huge advocate as you know of smoking said pork butt for 3-4 hours then 20-24 in crockpot on low  Throw a beer in and go. Might want to cut a 8 pounder in half and use two crockpots  .falls apart with stir of tongs and pull out the lone bone.    Keep in mind hickory/mesquite will give the meat a very smokey flavor some people don't like if overbearing.  Apple or pecan mellow

• Like 1

I run my butts at 250 until I hit 160 then double wrap with heavy aluminum foil until I hit 203.  After that I take it and wrap it in a towel for 2 hours before I shred it. Trust me, leaving it wrapped for 2 hours allows juices to flow back and won’t dry out as fast. Also it will still be so hot you’ll probably need gloves to handle and shred it. I’d want my butt done by 4 for a 6 o’clock dinner. I usually inject and rub mine the night before with either a mixture of pineapple juice and white sugar or apple juice and white sugar. 

What’s your best guesstimate about length of time to hit the 160 mark on the first run?

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

What’s your best guesstimate about length of time to hit the 160 mark on the first run?

At 225 you’ll be somewhere around the 4-5 hour mark but don’t go by time, go by what your meat probes says. When you hit 160 double wrap with the HEAVY aluminum foil. Your entire cook should be about 8-9 hours. Like I stated earlier, I would want to have it done by 4 o’clock and just take the entire wrapped butt and wrap a beach towel around it for 2 hours.  

• Like 2

At 225 you’ll be somewhere around the 4-5 hour mark but don’t go by time, go by what your meat probes says. When you hit 160 double wrap with the HEAVY aluminum foil. Your entire cook should be about 8-9 hours. Like I stated earlier, I would want to have it done by 4 o’clock and just take the entire wrapped butt and wrap a beach towel around it for 2 hours.  

Can’t seem to get it up this morning(have fun with that one boys and girls!). The Char-Brooks vertical propane smoker is hovering at 200 with the vents on top wide open and set to high running for 40 minutes already. We shall see!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Can’t seem to get it up this morning(have fun with that one boys and girls!). The Char-Brooks vertical propane smoker is hovering at 200 with the vents on top wide open and set to high running for 40 minutes already. We shall see!

What thermometer are you using? I put an oven thermometer on the grate for a more accurate temperature. Thrones built in aren’t always that accurate. I always wanna know what the temp is at my cooking surface not the temp right under the hood

What thermometer are you using? I put an oven thermometer on the grate for a more accurate temperature. Thrones built in aren’t always that accurate. I always wanna know what the temp is at my cooking surface not the temp right under the hood

The thermometer on the door....false alarm!!! I got there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crappyice said:

The thermometer on the door....false alarm!!! I got there

Get yourself a remote thermometer like a Maverick, or a igrill2.  Probes for meat temp and  for grate temps.  My vertical propane door therm was WAY off.  I was cooking much hotter than I thought I was. 

Looking good. What did you use for a rub?

Co-worker’s husband is thinking of getting in the rub game and made up various rubs for pork, chickens, etc. I used his pork rub as a comparison to my normal Steve Reichlien BBQ University standby. On my dry taste I found his a bit salty and lacking a certain something but time will tell

36 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Ridiculous
be5e8ecab3debdfbf1a4d58ab3b27353.jpg
f925bc9135222bd5da24bc3861ff3763.jpg
93d39b86ae01432536a701b456f9363c.jpg

Some of the best shredding pork I’ve pulled in a long time. Thanks for all the advice.
Rub didn’t really stand up very well but the pork flavor was awesome

You need cow massage, it will be a happy ending 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Ridiculous
be5e8ecab3debdfbf1a4d58ab3b27353.jpg
f925bc9135222bd5da24bc3861ff3763.jpg
93d39b86ae01432536a701b456f9363c.jpg

Some of the best shredding pork I’ve pulled in a long time. Thanks for all the advice.
Rub didn’t really stand up very well but the pork flavor was awesome

Great job! You got me all ready to smoke something this weekend now