What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

On 5/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

Stuffed venison backstrap. For the stuffing i used cream cheese, mozzarella, chopped pickled jalapeños. Small tip, cut a “meat pocket” into the meat instead of butterflying it all the way open. Helps from it oozing everywhere. I seasoned with some salt pepper garlic and Kosmos Q honey killer bee inside and out. Then stuffed, wrapped with bacon and tied up. I put some Kosmos Q dirty bird seasoning on the outside for the color. Its going on the kettle grill indirect with apple wood from my orchard for smoke. Probably smoke at 275degrees or so

2CE55793-D9B6-4FF2-87D8-05B23DE22D49.jpeg

how'd that turn out? not sure I could sacrifice a backstrap for the smoker, but maybe if i took 3 or 4 deer haha

It turned out delicious as always. That was a third of a loin actually.  Im quite fortunate to have nuisance permits for my farm so backstrap is never in short supply. On a side note, if you aren’t quite happy with you wing crispiness dont be afraid to crank the smoker all the way up or use a charcoal grill. I learned many times the hard way chicken needs no low and slow. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 1

Fatty- breakfast sausage wrapped around Swiss, scrambled eggs with Bionic tater topper, bell peppers and some hot pepper rings. Wrapped in a bacon weave.

219906bb501114cac49e31d239b7de4f.jpg&key=0a857eb5a2d3b7db7e23d3b10c0a4001980843e8b5c99675d6c148dac8638d39

Some boneless pork ribs too.

29ec87037f10a232bac11a2f027bafec.jpg&key=a45f19fa45c62379b4bbbf4e354734817b663842a78341b00b897ec7c088b15a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bionic said:

My dad smoked kielbasa, and fresh sausage for me yesterday, really excited....smoked sausage is the ultimate comfort meal for me. Hickory smoked.

F589D8A4-DAA7-4BB9-88D6-EF6E6458899A.jpeg

C91604AF-C3B0-4EF0-8539-A96557602DE9.jpeg

DC52A613-F787-4428-B23F-C6FDD9D0F02F.jpeg

316BA554-8E1E-4B97-9063-7C00D5AEB81D.jpeg

9DD5CE12-04DA-4012-9806-C3D4FBE8FDC2.jpeg

Ok.  That's just friggin awesome.  So old school.  I need to take a trip to see your dad and if he's willing, pick his brain.  

Such a dying art in our area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mowin said:

Ok.  That's just friggin awesome.  So old school.  I need to take a trip to see your dad and if he's willing, pick his brain.  

Such a dying art in our area. 

I appreciate that a lot, it’s in our family blood.  I don’t post much about this stuff, because I watch him when I can, but he uses LEM gear, and has the remote monitoring temp setup.  

3 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I appreciate that a lot, it’s in our family blood.  I don’t post much about this stuff, because I watch him when I can, but he uses LEM gear, and has the remote monitoring temp setup.  

I've looked into the LEM and other temp control systems to make a old school smokehouse more manageable. Always too scared to spend the money and not have it work properly.  

My stick burner is sooo simple.  But I can remember a smokehouse similar to your pops on my uncle's farm.  Can picture the hams and sausages hanging in it.  His open fire box/pit was 30' from the smokehouse.  It was amazing watching him control the temp and smoke by covering the coals with a piece of tin.  

Give your dad a huge slap on the back for me.  Brings back a boatload of memories and smells.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mowin said:

I've looked into the LEM and other temp control systems to make a old school smokehouse more manageable. Always too scared to spend the money and not have it work properly.  

My stick burner is sooo simple.  But I can remember a smokehouse similar to your pops on my uncle's farm.  Can picture the hams and sausages hanging in it.  His open fire box/pit was 30' from the smokehouse.  It was amazing watching him control the temp and smoke by covering the coals with a piece of tin.  

Give your dad a huge slap on the back for me.  Brings back a boatload of memories and smells.  

Love that post, sounds like a cold smoke, but im no pro.  My dad has a small wood stove to use as a cold smoke to pipe smoke over into the smoker pictured above, which soumds similar!

Edited by Bionic

51 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Love that post, sounds like a cold smoke, but im no pro.  My dad has a small wood stove to use as a cold smoke to pipe smoke over into the smoker pictured above, which soumds similar!

Yes.   Stove or fire is below and 10-30' from the smokehouse.  The smoke cools as it travels to the smokehouse, making it a cold smoke.  

Some smokehouses have a pit under it for a hot smoke as well as a pit away from it for a cold smoke.  I've done my own cold smoking.  I've done cheese, ham and bacon in a cold smoke.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Thanks to my Father’s Day gift I’ll be contributing to this thread soon! 

279056C4-7A3A-471F-B9E0-78A911B17E3C.jpeg

Love my pellet grill.  I've got a GMG.   8 yrs of pushing a button and making fantastic Q.   

But I still love my stick burner.   

• Like 1

And the winner... first cut of meat going in the new smoker is a “stuffed roast” of Doe backstrap ends with fresh herbs sandwiched between the sides and wrapped in bacon.

Later today we‘re doing “pork shooters” and chicken wings.  Along with fish fry.

Happy Fathers Day!

FB31746B-F147-43FC-B9A9-116300C4A6B0.jpeg

• Like 4