What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

Been so busy lately.. I've been living the smoking life through this thread, lol.

I was looking for some bacon in my chest freezer, and took a pork but out and set it aside.  Yup.. forgot it.  Luckily I went downstairs the next day and found a partaily thawed PB. So it looks like the pellet grill will be going tomorrow to smoke a unscheduled PB.  

3 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

No pics yet, but I'm going to do a beef brisket today. I've been wanting to do brisket for some time, finally picked up a 15# piece yesterday. Now to figure out what rub to use? Anyone have any suggestions? 

Tim , venture over to that bbq / spice place on Main Street near the trooper barracks / El ranchito area.  Great selection of wood chips , bbq sauce and spices.  You can sample the spices and sauces 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 4:29 PM, Just Lucky said:

What temp and how long, if you don't mind me asking

temp was just about 225 degrees on the smoker. did flair up briefly after the wood chunks in the tray dried out and lit. i just turned the propane way down. how long was at least a couple hours but that's going to depend on the size of the roast, starting temp of meat, and how off the thermometer is on the smoker.  i used manual temp probe for the meat that works well. pull it from smoker, put probe into side through much of the meat. read little over 140 then right away went on a cool plate and got sliced. if you let it set on the plate and wait to slice it, it'll continue cooking and you might end up well done. same with any venison bring it to temp and how done you want. then cool it down or let the heat get out. it's lean and fast cooking. otherwise you bring it up to a lower temp like 130 and let it set.  i like the first method better.

...didn't do any 3-2-1 cover method or anything. just left uncovered the whole time but basted with garlic butter just before it went in. end tips were pretty smoky i guess. i thought it was fine but too much for my wife.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Dad had sausage in the smoker tonight, can't wait to make a meal with potatoes, onions, and string beans!  Stupid me, did not take a pic

U know the rules..  no pics.. never happened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The brine is
spring water
Sea salt
Pink powder
Brown sugar
Picking spices

Then the rub will be ground pepper mix and a little granulated garlic.

Then smoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much same as I do mine.  I do simmer the picking spice in a cup of water to release the oils. Let it cool then put that into the brine.  

Looking forward to the slicing pics. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fired up "Elizabeth Ann" ( named to honor Mom). 

From left to right... 

4 Rib eyes.. 

2 Chuck steaks... For poor man's burnt ends.

16# Angus brisket

And one chicken.

Going on later will be a rack of SL cut ribs, and mac-n-cheese. 

IMG_20180528_080455434_HDR.jpg

Edited by mowin
  • Like 5