What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

26 minutes ago, mowin said:

:drinks:.   Those were great.   Lasted as long as the pork shots.  Will definitely be making them again.  I put a small piece of jalapeno and covered it with a dollop of the chive cream cheese.   The only thing I'd do different is my offset stick burner imparted a little too much smoke, so I'd do a hour or so then under the broiler to crisp up the bacon. My pellet pooper would do exceptionally well the full two + hrs.  My apple and cherry was very well seasoned but the stick burner definitely has a higher smoke profile.  

So, kudos to you for a fantastic appetizer.  They will always be known as TF's WTB's... 

Funny as I got email today from Smokingmeats.com on pork shots and was unfamiliar.  Glad you enjoyed the bites and thanks for the compliment 

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Funny as I got email today from Smokingmeats.com on pork shots and was unfamiliar.  Glad you enjoyed the bites and thanks for the compliment 

I'm a frequent lurker and occasionally post on SMF.  Same user name as here. 

I've done pork shots many different ways.  They have always come out fantastic.  

Compliment well deserved.  

13 minutes ago, Otto said:

Also posted in Dinner thread, Lake Ontario King Salmon. Maple syrup glaze.
924f034cd81156d9dd163fd1aef7d46b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ok.   I've smoked just about everything. Whole hog, whole venison, and everything in between.....Except salmon.  I'm not confident with fish.  Did a little trout a whitefish that was ok, but salmon has me intimated. Just not confident it will turn out ok. Looking forward to any advice to help me accept the challenge. 

This was only my second attempt at salmon.  The first time I just smoked it until it looked done.  It came out good enough to try again, but it was a little dry.  This time I used Hank Shaw’s recipie (honest-food.net).  The hardest part was keeping smoke temp at 120 for 2 hours.  It only needed a couple if pieces of lit charcoal to get there.  Next hour was at 150 and then last hour was at 175.    Internal temp needs to be between 130 and 140.  

Good luck - it was a perfect project for a hot sunny day with the smoker next to the lake.   

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

First attempt at salmon. Otto , you’re right. Keeping temp down is tough. King salmon from Lake Ontario charter on Friday. Hit gently with maple syrup after brine overnight 

04658FA0-4DDB-441A-8D7E-D320B76DB5B9.jpeg

you both did really good I got the recipe that finally worked for me from hunter,angler,gardener cook but like most recipes I get off the internet or from books I twiq them alittle . I used alittle less salt and I find that instead of a brine I use a dry rub and put it in a zip lock bag cause I pissed off the wife I put it in plastic wrap and it dripped all over the fridge they have 2 gallon ones [ I got mine from dollar tree a buck for like 6] oh and I planted dill so I mixed the sugar and salt and dill  then washed it off. The most important thing which you really didn't do turkey feathers is create a pellicle that is put it in the sun [if its alittle on the cool side] and a breeze day is a plus and a fan on it or in the basement cool place w/ a fan till you get a hard ,shiney and slightly sticky surface then you are ready to smoke. turkey I hope you don't mind a little criticism you did good but like anything this is trial and error and learn and make it to your liking  see the white stuff that's fat it melts if you don't make a pellicle it like seals it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

First attempt at salmon. Otto , you’re right. Keeping temp down is tough. King salmon from Lake Ontario charter on Friday. Hit gently with maple syrup after brine overnight 

04658FA0-4DDB-441A-8D7E-D320B76DB5B9.jpeg

A lot of sweat went into landing that fish I bet it’ll taste delicious 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mowin said:

TF, what charter did you use.  It's been 20+ yrs since I've been on a charter on Lake O.  I'm getting the itch... 

Beans and salmon look tasty. 

2  Bulls. Out of Wilson. Captain Joe Gallo. He and first mate were great. Highly recommend. My first charter and what a blast. They know their stuff.   Eats were great 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

2  Bulls. Out of Wilson. Captain Joe Gallo. He and first mate were great. Highly recommend. My first charter and what a blast. They know their stuff.   Eats were great 

I'll keep that info for the future.  I caught a 25# king the last time I was there, but several times before that I we only caught slimeballs, AKA lake trout.  

Any recommendations are welcome.  I'm on the NY, MA borter, so I'm at least 7 hrs away. The last charter we booked called 30 min after we left telling my brothers wife we should reschedule because of the rough weather that was coming in the next day.  This was obviously before cell phones.  Haven't tried since

Any recommendations are welcome.  I'm on the NY, MA borter, so I'm at least 7 hrs away. The last charter we booked called 30 min after we left telling my brothers wife we should reschedule because of the rough weather that was coming in the next day.  This was obviously before cell phones.  Haven't tried since
Mowin, I have fished out of Mexico which is an hour north of Syracuse. Great fishing and selection of charters. This was last August.

3c2d36f8586ccd8486ff44ceb83e246a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

hi everyone , I made some kielbasy ,  moosemeat and pork shoulder and smoked it in the masterbuilt smoker and I learned a few things plus I learned from making it before. Thats the fun of it making the recipe my own. You can play with the recipe add spices you like for instance add more garlic or add paprika or cardamom or cayenne add or heat ,but  I never ever change the procedures like adding a cure pink salts #1[ its for anything that's hot smoked bacon, sausages ect… #2 is for anything cured salami.soppersatta    anything you can store with out refrigeration] and I always clean everything that comes in contact w/ the meat in Clorox and freeze the meat and anything that comes in contact/ the meat keep it cold. now in one pic you see I have a fan on the sausage that's hanging [yeah yeah I know  the food police lol,the broom but I cleaned it and the wife wasn't too happy about me using the dining room chair .This is so important dry the casing BEFORE you smoke if you don't you get very tough skin [I know I did it the last time]. the only thing w/ the masterbuilt is the  trying to get smoke with out having the heat too high [that toughens the casing too and makes it look wrinkly ]. W hat I did was start the chips alittle w/ a torch and it worked also it took for ever to get the sausage to an internal temp of 160 degs  ,oh and cool down the sausages IMMEDATLY WITH A HOSE OR AN ICE BATH . ok the one pic is from the super market I was looking for pork fat and I stubbled on these can anyone tell me what they are [I know but haven't seen them in awhile:cheese:]

0728181602.jpg

0728181801.jpg

0729180203.jpg

image1.jpeg

hi everyone , I made some kielbasy ,  moosemeat and pork shoulder and smoked it in the masterbuilt smoker and I learned a few things plus I learned from making it before. Thats the fun of it making the recipe my own. You can play with the recipe add spices you like for instance add more garlic or add paprika or cardamom or cayenne add or heat ,but  I never ever change the procedures like adding a cure pink salts #1[ its for anything that's hot smoked bacon, sausages ect… #2 is for anything cured salami.soppersatta    anything you can store with out refrigeration] and I always clean everything that comes in contact w/ the meat in Clorox and freeze the meat and anything that comes in contact/ the meat keep it cold. now in one pic you see I have a fan on the sausage that's hanging [yeah yeah I know  the food police lol,the broom but I cleaned it and the wife wasn't too happy about me using the dining room chair .This is so important dry the casing BEFORE you smoke if you don't you get very tough skin [i know I did it the last time]. the only thing w/ the masterbuilt is the  trying to get smoke with out having the heat too high [that toughens the casing too and makes it look wrinkly ]. W hat I did was start the chips alittle w/ a torch and it worked also it took for ever to get the sausage to an internal temp of 160 degs  ,oh and cool down the sausages IMMEDATLY WITH A HOSE OR AN ICE BATH . ok the one pic is from the super market I was looking for pork fat and I stubbled on these can anyone tell me what they are [i know but haven't seen them in awhile:cheese:]
0728181602.jpg.e9d97eac53bf38abf59ee5712deeb753.jpg
0728181801.jpg.466f08e5ad720e89e6860c793495dec0.jpg
0729180203.jpg.e3a3f2b9cc965942adab3af66b315ee9.jpg
image1.jpeg.2a42ea8a5b9e28678ac8e9560a60a931.jpeg

Great BALLS of in pic 1. My guess is bull but Chevy Chase would prefer sheep in a movie called......
“Never seen someone take such a liking to sheep balls before!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Great BALLS of emoji91.png in pic 1. My guess is bull but Chevy Chase would prefer sheep in a movie called......
“Never seen someone take such a liking to sheep balls before!”

give that man a beer correct!!! I watch bizarre foods that guy Andrew Zimmern eats them all the time cut right from the bull and fried 

give that man a beer correct!!! I watch bizarre foods that guy Andrew Zimmern eats them all the time cut right from the bull and fried 

I had them fried in Colorado a few years back- similar to sweet breads if that helps. Taking the family next week to see my buddy and his brood in CO and I am certain my boys will be searching them out to at just say they ate them!

Did a large cook last weekend for my grandnephews 8th bday party. Unfortunately, I only got some prep and cooking pics. Was too busy cutting stuff to feed the 60+ guests.  My nephew Shaun tended the pit quite a bit, so he gets a lot of credit for a successful cook. 

On the smoker..

62# whole hog. Belly was layered with bacon, then stuffed with potatoes, onions, and sausage before we sewed it up with SS wire. 

14 racks of spares

8# brisket

Smoked Mac n cheese.  

IMG_20180728_084253209_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180728_084458717_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180728_085530895_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180728_091215039.jpg

IMG_20180728_112126661.jpg

IMG_20180728_182405023.jpg

• Like 5