What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

• 1 month later...

how does everyones electric smoker work in the winter?  I have one i got last summer and want to smoke a chicken this weekend to make smoked chicken quesadillas and smoked chicken tortilla soup.  Thinking the temp is gonna be like 30 out and may need to finish chicken in the oven once i get some smoke to it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

how does everyones electric smoker work in the winter?  I have one i got last summer and want to smoke a chicken this weekend to make smoked chicken quesadillas and smoked chicken tortilla soup.  Thinking the temp is gonna be like 30 out and may need to finish chicken in the oven once i get some smoke to it?

My neighbor uses his all winter.  He opens his garage door to vent the smoke and has no problem.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Made a batch of smoked pepper sticks with cheese today. These are the best I've ever made! I changed things up a bit because in the past I would always burn some or over cook them and they would be too dry.

So I smoked them for about 4 hours and put them in a big pot of water and simmered then for 30 minutes to get them up to 170 degrees internal temp (water temp 190), then ice bath to 110*, then on a rack in the fridge to dry up a little. 

These are going to go fast!

IMG_20190324_142521608.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Made a batch of smoked pepper sticks with cheese today. These are the best I've ever made! I changed things up a bit because in the past I would always burn some or over cook them and they would be too dry.

So I smoked them for about 4 hours and put them in a big pot of water and simmered then for 30 minutes to get them up to 170 degrees internal temp (water temp 190), then ice bath to 110*, then on a rack in the fridge to dry up a little. 

Those look great.  What temp did you smoke them at?

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Those look great.  What temp did you smoke them at?

Rob, If you can believe the gauge on the smoker it's around 180-220. I have a propane smoker and it has to be around that temp just to produce smoke. That's why in the past I've burned so many pepper sticks cooking them in the smoker till they get to at least 155* internal temp. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Taco you don't find them to loose flavor by simmering them?I think I would reduce heat and smoke longer but thats my opinion.

1 minute ago, Dom said:

Taco you don't find them to loose flavor by simmering them?I think I would reduce heat and smoke longer but thats my opinion.

If i reduce the heat the smoker stops producing smoke. Then I'm just cooking them out side and it's a pia checking on them. I don't think it affects the internal flavor of the sticks,maybe washes off some of the smoke taste? They do taste great though.

1 hour ago, 2012_taco said:

Rob, If you can believe the gauge on the smoker it's around 180-220. I have a propane smoker and it has to be around that temp just to produce smoke. That's why in the past I've burned so many pepper sticks cooking them in the smoker till they get to at least 155* internal temp. 

Thanks.  I've been making them in the oven, but I have an electric smoker now so going to try that this season. They look great. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking about maybe cold smoking some Bourbon next week. I’ve smoked water before and then made ice cubes out of it but I’m curious if I were to smoke the bourbon itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aboa13 said:

It's officially spring. Baby backs in there now. Wings to follow. 3156baec6fe07c12bfd1c5dac226ccea.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using Tapatalk

I have wanted to do wings in the smoker for a while. How do they turn out? I had Dinosaur wings yesterday and they supposedly are smoked and then grilled? I know they are good!

I have wanted to do wings in the smoker for a while. How do they turn out? I had Dinosaur wings yesterday and they supposedly are smoked and then grilled? I know they are good!
They are great. Get the party wing packs. I smoke for an hour at 250. Toss in buffalo sauce. Then finish them on the grill. Just make sure you dry them well. I rinse pat dry then let them air dry uncovers in the fridge over night.

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I’m thinking about maybe cold smoking some Bourbon next week. I’ve smoked water before and then made ice cubes out of it but I’m curious if I were to smoke the bourbon itself

Explain

Explain

Liquids take on a smoke flavor very well. If you just put water in a pot in the smoker and smoke it, it takes on the smoke flavor. You can used this water for many things. Brines, marinades. Ice cubes what ever. I’m thinking smoking bourbon would have it take on that smoky flavor and be great to make drinks with

• Thanks 1