What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

Heres the finished product after 18 hrs of smoking. The last 3 hrs. I bumped the temp up to 170 degrees. This batch of jerky has a little more kick to them, spicer than my previous batches (intentionally made spicer) and boy are they good. As you can see they also shrunk considerably.

post-14-0-46233200-1460287952_thumb.jpg

The last time I did Jerky I was a teen back in the 80s and with a kettle smoker. It was fantastic but took like a day and a half and we ate it all in like 45 minutes. I was like dang!! Have not made it since!! A lot of work to do it right and it takes a lot of good meat to get a little bag of final product. It was disheartening it was gone so fast lol!

I have never tried ground and the jerky shooter method. I have wondered about it and if it is any good because you end up with deer fat in ground and if that throws it off.

I've been doing my jerky using ground for years, but I butcher my own deer and there is literally no fat in the ground. I think it turns out great, IMHO. I can bite into a piece and not pull out my front teeth! I have made jerky using others deer meat and I do notice that you have to blot off the grease as it dehydrates. Otherwise you get those greasy white spots on the finished product. 

I've been doing my jerky using ground for years, but I butcher my own deer and there is literally no fat in the ground. I think it turns out great, IMHO. I can bite into a piece and not pull out my front teeth! I have made jerky using others deer meat and I do notice that you have to blot off the grease as it dehydrates. Otherwise you get those greasy white spots on the finished product.

Just an FYI, the bite of your jerky when using whole pieces vs. ground is dependent on how you cut across the grain of the meat. Also before i place the vension jerky in the brine i trim off any small pieces of fat that might exist this way you get no white spots/grease. I butcher my own deer as well and when making jerky i typically will start off with pretty clean meat thats free of fat and silverskin. Just taking that extra time to trim the meat and cut across the grain to how you want the bite makes a world of difference in the end product. Just my 2 cents.

post-7067-0-32383800-1460317369_thumb.jppost-7067-0-08143000-1460317434_thumb.jppost-7067-0-49817200-1460317459_thumb.jp

Alright so I'm really mixing this up and also trying to twist up a little turkey feather style.

I started early this am with a pork shoulder for 3 hours in the crock pot on high. I wasn't going to be home but wanted it to start cooking. Got home and fired up the smoker. Pulled out the pork and set it in the smoker. Grabbed some almonds and put them in the pork fat in the crockpot. Strained them out along with all that fatty stringy crap in the bottom and put them in some foil to set in the smoker. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

They were good when I pulled them out and were warm and crunchy.  Once the pork fat got to room temp they were kinda soggy.  So if you ever do what I did eat them all without waiting to share any!

Next time try the sautee in butter and dry rub then smoker. They stay crunchy

70480f799faf4d44cb34af40ddb40f03.jpgf5aff470b086a33d249386304908cf8f.jpg5273f8b740d73615b1a9dea714c6c8d9.jpg

Brisket I smoked for 12 hours last weekend, came out amazing, also smoked this venison breakfast sausage..... Both as a thank you present for the guys at my bachelor party...... The brisket was great but definitely not the juciest part of the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had any luck in the turkey woods so I just ran 10lbs of venison through the meat slicer and curing. Going to throw it in the smoker Wednesday morning and make a batch of jerky. Glad my brother in law doesn't like neck roast that made up a good majority of the jerky. I'll be sure to take pics during the cook.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2