What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

Coffee dry rub? I've never heard of it before. How different is the flavor compared to a standard chili pepper rub? I have always used a standard dry rub for pork.

Actially first time using this particular one but have been using Dizzy Pig rub which is high in coffee as well. We like the coffee based rubs.

post-4567-0-44402300-1459940874_thumb.jp

In my smoker right now is venison jerky. The venison was placed in a brine solution to soak overnight and this morning was placed in my smoker. Smoking the jerky using mosquite chips for approx.18hrs at 130F . Cant wait, yummy!!!

I've never tried making jerky in the smoker. Always the oven. I may have to try this    How long do you let it smoke and what temp ?

That is some thick looking Jerky. Interested to see it along the way and finished!! Keep us posted.

The venison pieces grow in size because of the moisture they retain when soaking in brine solution overnight, they shrink down considerably once smoking is finished. If i remember will take pictures once finished.

The last time I did Jerky I was a teen back in the 80s and with a kettle smoker. It was fantastic but took like a day and a half and we ate it all in like 45 minutes. I was like dang!! Have not made it since!! A lot of work to do it right and it takes a lot of good meat to get a little bag of final product. It was disheartening it was gone so fast lol!

I have never tried ground and the jerky shooter method. I have wondered about it and if it is any good because you end up with deer fat in ground and if that throws it off.

Edited by Fletch

The last time I did Jerky I was a teen back in the 80s and with a kettle smoker. It was fantastic but took like a day and a half and we ate it all in like 45 minutes. I was like dang!! Have not made it since!! A lot of work to do it right and it takes a lot of good meat to get a little bag of final product. It was disheartening it was gone so fast lol!

I have never tried ground and the jerky shooter method. I have wondered about it and if it is any good because you end up with deer fat in ground and if that throws it off.

Bought a jerky shooter years back. Followed the directions with the ground venison. Made it. We all tried a piece and decided our dog had venison dog treats for awhile. Never used the shooter again. All muscle meat cut in strips ever since.

I'm usually full and don't need lunch by the time the jerky is completely out of the oven. Gotta taste test along the way you know.