What's in your smoker tonight?

Rockspek

13 minutes ago, crappyice said:

744ec4082d340ad8943b1851851f0af2.jpg
Well that’s not good…2 hours in and smoker quit
I don’t have time for this…..gonna have to pull them and figure this out later now.
So much for the rejuggling of the schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 2 hours in you probably have all the smoke you’re gonna need. You can actually finish it off in the oven using same temp. Lots of guys do that for brisket once their bark is set

4 hours ago, crappyice said:

321035a7f7eb8fd1b601b86fa1039489.jpg

Doing some research as I wait for my daughters field hockey scrimmage to start…supposedly this unit has a cheap-ass connector somewhere that craps out often….DONT NEED THIS!!!

So what did you do?  

• Like 1

I texted CHEF!!!
Going with the relatively cold smoke…I put wood chips in foil and pre smoked them over charcoal brickettes, then put two or three lit brickettes in the smoker pan and the tin foils over that….rolling smoke for the last hour….probably keep that up until midnight and see what I got 81f33e21ed8cf862b22eee3291071c62.jpg
And now I’m going to reread your cold smoke process and see what I’m really in for

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

I texted CHEF!!!
Going with the relatively cold smoke…I put wood chips in foil and pre smoked them over charcoal brickettes, then put two or three lit brickettes in the smoker pan and the tin foils over that….rolling smoke for the last hour….probably keep that up until midnight and see what I got 81f33e21ed8cf862b22eee3291071c62.jpg
And now I’m going to reread your cold smoke process and see what I’m really in for

Looking good.  As soon as it gets cool enough, I'll start cold smoking cheese and butter. In the fall I'll get the bacon going.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crappyice said:

321035a7f7eb8fd1b601b86fa1039489.jpg

Doing some research as I wait for my daughters field hockey scrimmage to start…supposedly this unit has a cheap-ass connector somewhere that craps out often….DONT NEED THIS!!!

I'll have to read up. I have the same smoker.

I'll have to read up. I have the same smoker.

There’s a bunch of videos out there about various repairs…disappointing as I was hoping for more than 5 or 6 runs before dealing with issues…Crappy build if you ask me

8f5aa803e24bf156d06b16899b26fe92.jpg

I GOT BACON!!!

Decided to try some before I resmoked today and the kids decided they
Like it as is so it’s done!! Bringing it with me to work tomorrow (country club where I run a summer camp) to have the chef slice it nice-nice!!!!

Fun little productive project….now to fox the smoker…annoying!!!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Doing my biggest whole hog this coming weekend for a customer. Butterflied 100lb. The issue is they are sourcing the hog.  I know my guy will be within a few lbs of what I want. I'm concerned there guy might hand me a hog  much bigger.

My biggest was 140 for a buddy(not a paying customer).  18 hr smoke

I've done countless 60 to 80 lb hogs, and enjoy the smiles and the comments of it's the most memorable and tasty the guests have had ever had. 

Just hoping they give me what they are saying I'm supposed to be cooking. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, mowin said:

Doing my biggest whole hog this coming weekend for a customer. Butterflied 100lb. The issue is they are sourcing the hog.  I know my guy will be within a few lbs of what I want. I'm concerned there guy might hand me a hog  much bigger.

My biggest was 140 for a buddy(not a paying customer).  18 hr smoke

I've done countless 60 to 80 lb hogs, and enjoy the smiles and the comments of it's the most memorable and tasty the guests have had ever had. 

Just hoping they give me what they are saying I'm supposed to be cooking. 

What are you cooking your pigs on? 

9 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Smoked eggplant and pork belley. Wouldn't do apple with the eggplant again but was still not bad. Pork belley was great.

20210809_191550.jpg

20210809_192128.jpg

I usually use apple or maple for veggies. Veggies are mostly water and take smoke quick. 

I did a blooming onion one time with hickory.  2 hrs of smoke with extremely dry hickory. Couldn't think about eating it, lol.

• Like 1

Though I was ahead of the game with IT's in the mid 130's with 6+ hrs to go. Once the IT's hit the mid 150's, we hit the stall. And it was a stubborn stall, lol. 3° in 2.5 hrs.  Now while technically we were in the safe zone because the safe zone for pork is 145°, if a customer or there guess even think they see pink pork, they freak out. This is why I like to take my whole hogs to the 170's. The belly meat and some of the hinds will start to pull, the rest will slice, a good mix. 

Got the hog to 170+ at 3pm.  Pulled it from the pit and let it set for 1hr before digging in. It took less than 30 min for the 100 guests to rid said hog of anything edible. Customer was extremely happy. Said he has never tasted pork this juicy and flavorful. Got thumbs up from all their guests. 

43643.jpeg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, mowin said:

Though I was ahead of the game with IT's in the mid 130's with 6+ hrs to go. Once the IT's hit the mid 150's, we hit the stall. And it was a stubborn stall, lol. 3° in 2.5 hrs.  Now while technically we were in the safe zone because the safe zone for pork is 145°, if a customer or there guess even think they see pink pork, they freak out. This is why I like to take my whole hogs to the 170's. The belly meat and some of the hinds will start to pull, the rest will slice, a good mix. 

Got the hog to 170+ at 3pm.  Pulled it from the pit and let it set for 1hr before digging in. It took less than 30 min for the 100 guests to rid said hog of anything edible. Customer was extremely happy. Said he has never tasted pork this juicy and flavorful. Got thumbs up from all their guests. 

43643.jpeg

Great color you have on that pig! Think I’m gonna fire up my UDS today and do pork belly burnt ends

• Like 1