Yotes

TreeGuy

We started off real well. But the last 2 or 3 weekends, we have not gone for various reasons. Hoping to get back on them this upcoming weekend!

They are into their breeding season now. Try using mostly coyote vocals, call less, and watch more. Try male and female long howls, female submissive, etc. With that, stay on stand longer. like a minimum of 45 min. Don't expect them to react to you much, most likely they will just come in quiet.

As far as the original post, I have been out a TON the past 3 weeks but have targeted mostly "fox only" spots close to development to get as many as possible before the season ended. We did get into some coyotes two weeks ago and exchanged some howls and stuff but I think I got a little too aggressive when I heard what I thought to be a challenge and they backed off. Live and learn.....  I'll be going a lot until the season ends, I will try to give updates on how it's going. 

• Like 2

I gave it another shot this weekend, but no luck.

A few lone sets of fresh yote tracks in the snow, but nothing like earlier this winter when they were everywhere.

I did find a den 2 weeks ago that I'll pay more attention to when they start to have their pups. I prefer to shoot them with a camera anyhow.

Kinda what I was figuring. Rough winters seem to produce more yotes with calls.... I believe when finding food is hard they like the call, with no snow and moderate temps I don't think they care too much about a screaming rabbit when they already have full belly's. Ah well, I'll hopefully get a few hunts in before season ends. New house, 6mo old, 2 year old and a wife seem to consume my hunting hours nowadays....

Does anyone know what the coyote population is like in the 3m area?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Ive seen tracks in a spot i deer hunt up that way. Been meanin to get up there and check it out. Just gettin into yotes myself though so its possible it was just a dog of some hiker.

Headin up either tonight or sat night for a night hike to see what i see

• Like 1

Ive seen tracks in a spot i deer hunt up that way. Been meanin to get up there and check it out. Just gettin into yotes myself though so its possible it was just a dog of some hiker.

Headin up either tonight or sat night for a night hike to see what i see

Yea imma just have to get out and scout around. I had 2 come right under my deer stand when I was up in 4G but that was 2 far. I won't be hunting up that way any time soon.

Does anyone know what the coyote population is like in the 3m area?

It really depends on where you are. Lately the closer you are to houses the more you'll find. At least by me. They have learned there is a lot of food in the housing tracks. They like to pick off the cats and small dogs plus nothing else is in there hunting the rodents. I kicked at least 6 out from behind the farmers barn last night when I cut the dog loose. I know they were in there hunting the hundreds of cats that live there. They are getting bad enough that some of the officers I've spoken to say there has been consideration of opening the season to year round. The problem is where they're bad they're very bad. But they're not bad everywhere yet. 

I haven't gone in a couple of years but I have gone a few times.  Once I've had vocalization responses in 3N at night.  A couple of years ago, I went with magnumhunt and another guy and we called one in in 3M but the yote came in the direction of one of the guys who had a buck shots and so it was out of range.  That one was during the day.

Kinda what I was figuring. Rough winters seem to produce more yotes with calls.... I believe when finding food is hard they like the call, with no snow and moderate temps I don't think they care too much about a screaming rabbit when they already have full belly's. Ah well, I'll hopefully get a few hunts in before season ends. New house, 6mo old, 2 year old and a wife seem to consume my hunting hours nowadays....

You ain't the first ...... but sure hear ya. :drinks:

It really depends on where you are. Lately the closer you are to houses the more you'll find. At least by me. They have learned there is a lot of food in the housing tracks. They like to pick off the cats and small dogs plus nothing else is in there hunting the rodents. I kicked at least 6 out from behind the farmers barn last night when I cut the dog loose. I know they were in there hunting the hundreds of cats that live there. They are getting bad enough that some of the officers I've spoken to say there has been consideration of opening the season to year round. The problem is where they're bad they're very bad. But they're not bad everywhere yet. 

Ut Oh ...... possible females only in some WMU's in the future? 

Boy i hope Antler or that other Yote expert on here does not read these words. You do realize there is no way someplace in Ny could have a bad Yote problem. Just cant happen!

• Like 1

Elmo you remebered!! Hahaha, was that last time you went? That was a good time!! That was my last time although i saw a fox during deer season but didnt want to shoot to ruin my hunt. And one night while couldnt sleep in my cabin I put on the coyote caller and heard responses but no sight.

Edited by magnumhunt

Elmo you remebered!! Hahaha, was that last time you went? That was a good time!!

Yeah, the was the last time coyote hunting for me as well. Been busy so the few times I do go hunting its been for deer. It was fun. If time permits, we should try it again. Saw a fox bow hunting as well. While it did come within bow range and never saw me, it never stopping trotting so no shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to franklinville last night. Did 4 sets. Nada. Had one dog answer a howl at dusk but never came in. Unfortunately I went with some buddies who are not very still and don't practice good scent control.... Needless to say, tons of tracks which all seemed to be following deer tracks.

• Like 1

I know they were in there hunting the hundreds of cats that live there. They are getting bad enough that some of the officers I've spoken to say there has been consideration of opening the season to year round. The problem is where they're bad they're very bad. But they're not bad everywhere yet. 

Hundreds of cats ?! That's more of a problem then a few coyotes. That's a lot of songbirds that are now missing !

• Like 1

Hundreds of cats ?! That's more of a problem then a few coyotes. That's a lot of songbirds that are now missing !

Oh I agree there's a cat problem there. Funny the farmer complains about them but then feeds them two 40# bags a week. Always asking me to get the raccoon's out of the cat food. Says if you run one over you better stop so he can throw a few more under your tires, or else he'll report you. 

• 4 weeks later...

After fox season ended, I only made it out to coyote hunt one more time. Did one morning sit but the wind erratically switched during my set so all hope was lost. I got pretty burned out on predator hunting this year, actually. Hunted so hard the beginning of October and then all winter as soon as the deer seasons ended, by the time fox season was over I lost the drive to get out there. Actually spent almost every weekend after fox season going crow hunting. That was a lot of fun and not too serious! We had a blast and shot 1,236,543,458,997 shells! lol 

• Like 1