I couldn't find a shed if my life depended on it....

ApexerER

I never find them either.  Phade and I brought my kids shed hunting and he planted a few sheds for them to find.  We basically had to point them out to the kids to find the planted sheds even when they were almost standing on the sheds.  In fairness, these weren't 150" sheds.  lol

• Like 1

I don't shed hunt and pull my cams after the season.  only so much time I can invest before I get complaints from my other half.  at some point I might go out but a lot still holding them.  Maybe i'll hit up public land.  trails should be worn in with little snow.

That nature preserve is probably well searched before you get to it , I know guys that do just that and start before the park even opens coming in from a creek or adjoining property, you best bet is to scout food sources after deer season and see what is using it.. I have 7 doe in my yard every day , none will ever leave a horn, but the standing corn across the street has yielded a spike so far and cam say bucks still have their horns.. just because you saw them in the fall someplace does not mean they winter there... that's the key where do they winter and feed

I don't disagree with this thought but the snow just melted this week enough that you can no longer see foot prints and deer tracks. My daughter and I are the only footprints off the trail I have seen in all our trampsing around. So while I would say someone would probably pick up a shed if it was left in the middle of a trail, but I haven't seen any evidence of people walking off the trail in this park ever....

• Like 1

Last year while walking a well used trail by my house this was lying on the ground a few feet off the trail clearly visible to anyone on the trail. Runners, mountain bikers, kids, dog walkers all passed by it .

I expressed my amazement to my wife how no one picked it up , she thought it was weird that anyone would .......

Many would never pick up an antler anymore then deer droppings, not all share our passion for antlers .

post-253-0-33891900-1456413089_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 4

I don't disagree with this thought but the snow just melted this week enough that you can no longer see foot prints and deer tracks. My daughter and I are the only footprints off the trail I have seen in all our trampsing around. So while I would say someone would probably pick up a shed if it was left in the middle of a trail, but I haven't seen any evidence of people walking off the trail in this park ever....

Unless you know your looking in a winter buck bedding area, I would bet you found a great doe spot, the buck may be 400 yards further away, winter scouting even in a park is nessary if not more nessary to find where the buck are when they lose their horns.. like I said I can show you beat trails and big beds but they are all from doe family groups, the bucks are a ways away in places I shed hunt, though they may end up in the same food source they take different trails together to them... she'd hunting is scouting lots oand lots of scouting
  • Like 1

I can't say that I'm an avid shed hunter, but I dabble a bit. I'm horrible at it! I have found many full skulls with antlers during hunting season, but I have only found one shed antler in my life... and it was a 3" spike!! Go figure! I've pulled more antlers off late season buck's head's than I've found in the woods... finding shed antlers is not one of my talents...

• Like 2