The end of the 2015-16 small game season...

So February 29th is soon to be upon us and the weather for the next 6 days is hit or miss but it looks to be snowless and wet for the most part.  Is anyone planning on getting out for one last round?  Personally I found a nice little spot of mixed hardwoods and conifers I plan on stalking this week, not only for those three fat pheasants I saw in the distance but also scouting for a nice spot for a stand come November.  Figure while I'm out I'll keep an eye out for sheds.

How is Otis pike for rabbit hunting? I heard alright things about it. Have you had any luck? Do they release pheasants there as well?

It's harder if like me you don't have dogs, but I just like walking with my 410, I have seen many a hunter with dogs nab 2 or 3 buunies, and of course some years are better than others. But I go, rabbit, squirrel, fox and crow hunting there and always have fun. Front door to woods in less than 20 mins!

• Like 2

The boy and I will be headed out for a walk in a bit, Sunny and supposed to hit 50. He will have his 410 and me the 22. Hope to see a few squirrels, then who knows. Also pick up a card outa a cam.

Similar situation here.  Kid brought his 12ga and I brought the 22.  He got his first hunting kill today and another to back it up.  I pop'd a small red that tried to sneak up behind me.  I'll post a pic later tonight.

• Like 2

Took my shorthair out all day Saturday. Hit Michigan Hill State Forest, More state land in Newark Valley, and then finished the day off at my buddy's best grouse spot on some private land 20 miles west of Binghamton. I logged probably 7-8 miles and not even ONE SINGLE FLUSH........ unreal...... at the private land we noticed fresh boot tracks walking right through the best grouse woods and then eventually came across a freshly killed coyote in the super heavy brush. The landowner said the local guys have been running hounds on coyotes hard. They must've wounded one and not found it, and I'm guessing with all the excitement they flushed all the birds out of the area.

Oh well....back to coyote and crow hunting.

My brother went out Sunday looking for whatever we could jump whether it be squirrel, partridge, or rabbit, all while trying to do a little shed hunting.  We jumped more partridge than I had all the rest of the year with shots taken at most of them with nothing to end up in the pot.  While we were leaving and 100 yards from the truck we stopped on one of the corners of the field to chat and a cottontail jumped out.  I fired he didn't know what I was shooting at then saw it and fired and then we both fired out second barrels.  That time he rolled head over heals.  Not sure who actually got him but I ended up cleaning and cooking him.  All in all it was a great last day spent in the woods with my brother.post-1885-0-49297500-1456781177_thumb.jp

• Like 4

We had a good hike. We each saw one grey but no shots. I thought they would be out more at 60 degrees. Should have went out back. We did see a couple deer and got some fresh air. All kinds of deer sign. I hit some thick stuff but continued my goal of never finding a shed in my lifetime!!!!

Wish it went a couple more weeks. A bit nicer weather and a break between sports but no dice.

Had a WONDERFUL last day of rabbit season with my buddy and his two beagles.

We started hunting about 9:00 AM and kicked the first rabbit about ten minutes later..

The hounds ran almost steady  after that.  I'd shoot a rabbit, and before I could get it cleaned they would hit another track.

The two of us shot 6 rabbits , and at 1;30 PM  we had to catch the dogs and pull them off a track, because we were both WHIPPED.. 

Great day to end the season.

• Like 5

Saturday was too windy, but Sunday morning was ok in the squirrel woods.  The snow and ice was loud and crunchy while walking.  After taking a seat in an area with lots of tracks, a grey walked by after about a half hour, and I got him thru the lungs with the .22.  Nothing more, so I will need to throw a few venison steaks in the crockpot with him to make a meal for our family of four.  At least my daughters will get to taste some squirrel if they want to.

He had a real nice long tail and I am looking forward to making some jigs from it.   The prior weekend, I caught a fine Laker thru 12" of ice, on a jigging Rapala tipped with a minnow head, up at the in-laws Adirondack camp, finally verifying that they do exist there.  I have tried spoons and bucktail jigs up there on the open water for the last several years, with zero trout action.  Hopefully that softer squirrel hair will be just the ticket to entice some strikes when the lake thaws out.               

• Like 2