Why does Taxidermy take so long?

ApexerER

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

"Mail completion letter"? Why not use telegram or maybe a phone call? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, making phone calls takes forever, believe it or not...say I have 10 calls to make that week to let people know thier critter is done. Usually I get a cell #, whick rings a jillion times, then I get the generic 5 minute "you have reached the voicemail of"...message that takes forever to get to the actual message taking.At which point the person will frequently call back without even listening to the message because they see a missed call, and I have to repeat the same message I just left on voicemail all over again. Or the guys who never check thier voicemail and hence, never get the message it took forever to leave in the first place. Or, the message is left on the home phone, where the wife quickly deletes it so that she doesn't have another mounted animal in her house for a little while longer....

I learned a long time ago that it is less time consuming to sit down in front of the tube for a few minutes , fill out a pre-printed completion letter with the customer's balance info as well as my 30 day pickup policy, stick a stamp on it, and raise the flag on my mailbox, than it was to play the phone tag game. This way, the customer gets his notice in the mail a day or so after completion and calls ME when he is ready to schedule a pickup. Like I said, I've been at this awhile and this is the system that works for me.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2016 at 11:17 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

"Mail completion letter"? Why not use telegram or maybe a phone call? Lol

i can tell you don't deal with a lot of people.  they see a phone call from some one who they owe money to they don't answer there phone at lest with a letter they will open it and will ether call right away or wait a while then call and say they never got a letter . But now they know there stuff is done 

i can tell you don't deal with a lot of people.  they see a phone call from some one who they owe money to they don't answer there phone at lest with a letter they will open it and will ether call right away or wait a while then call and say they never got a letter . But now they know there stuff is done 

I would think the opposite. When I get a call from a taxidermist I'm ecstatic

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would think the opposite. When I get a call from a taxidermist I'm ecstatic

I'm the same way, but I bet for everyone like us there's ten guys who dropped off their animal and have no idea how they're going to pay for it when the time comes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I'm the same way, but I bet for everyone like us there's ten guys who dropped off their animal and have no idea how they're going to pay for it when the time comes.

The taxidermist needs to be taking at least 50% down so customers owe less when piece is finished. With life size animals such as bears it's still a bit of money. Id often thought 25% more should come in before the piece was assembled. With a reputable taxidermist that shouldn't be a prob. I never did it though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2016 at 7:25 PM, jjb4900 said:

You hit the nail right on the head right there. 

• 3 years later...
On 2/25/2016 at 11:43 AM, ApexerER said:

I have never had a deer (or anything else) done before. This year I finally got a deer that I had to get mounted. I was aware that it took a long time. I got my deer on 11/21 and it was at the taxi on 11/22. When I asked how long it would take he said quite a while and he would call me. What in the process takes so long? (I am not complaining, just curious) It sounds like several of you guys get your deer back 9 months to a year later. I am chomping at the bit to see my deer again...Any idea when I can expect a call? April? June? Next October? I don't want to call and bother the gentleman that is doing it...Just excited I guess....

Did you get your mount back? Pic.?  What time frame?

I just sent my first mount of the '19 Season home on friday...October 8th bowkill. Honestly, could have had it ready a month sooner If I'd pushed things. My buddy who does my tanning only takes 1-2 weeks to get capes back. That's where alot of the holdup comes from.

20191226_082230.thumb.jpg.501d526438af23f16ed7e39f6191c621.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

25 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Did you get your mount back? Pic.?  What time frame?

Wow, this is an old thread. Yes, I got it back. Took about 10 months....I got the 9 pt in my avatar the following year and got that mounted as well. Took about the same time. I feel like this 8 pt came out a lot better than the 9pt and both were done by the same guy. I don't have a pic of the 9pt once mounted....

8 pt mount.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Wow, this is an old thread. Yes, I got it back. Took about 10 months....I got the 9 pt in my avatar the following year and got that mounted as well. Took about the same time. I feel like this 8 pt came out a lot better than the 9pt and both were done by the same guy. I don't have a pic of the 9pt once mounted....

8 pt mount.jpg

Thats a pretty mount!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I took in 30 deer this year and gave customers a general time frame of spring for archery deer and by next season for gun kills, though I do plan on having them done by summer. Except for Moog's...lol. ;)

You no good ….. and you charge we twice as much for twice the wait

3 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I took in 30 deer this year and gave customers a general time frame of spring for archery deer and by next season for gun kills, though I do plan on having them done by summer. Except for Moog's...lol. ;)

spring for archery is almost unheard of, that's awesome. 

I think many do it on the side, so the wait is really just them getting around to it.

4 hours ago, ApexerER said:

8 pt mount.jpg

That turned out awesome!

• Like 1