Sap Season

Doewhacker

Roll call, who's got their tap's in and cooking. I will be cooking outside tomorrow over the fire, I have been looking forward to this since we ran out of last years Syrup a month ago.

It should be a good season but who knows, certainly is off to a good start!

I'll snap some sap pic's tomorrow.

• Like 5

Today marks the fifth boil down day this month.  It's "Sugar Time."

Dang!  How many taps and how much do you produce?

We only run ten taps, I am just hobby syrup enjoyer. I do wish to add more each year, this year I rigged up the pan for outside cooking. Last year we did it with a propane burner outside and that was a pain.

I grew up helping my dad so getting back into it as an adult is fun.

I did it for the first time last year, and am starting to tap this weekend.

Doewhacker, what's your heat source for the pan? I used a large pot on a propane burner last year and the propane cost was a bit much.

I was thinking of using wood this year, but I like the control and consistent heat of the propane.

This year Im boiling it in a different pan than last year. Something with more surface area.

Good call, that's one of the reasons why I made the change too. I have one of these, http://www.amazon.com/Winware-Aluminum-Roast-Pan-Inch/dp/B001CIEJT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1456502758&sr=1-1&keywords=roasting+pan&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A3088227011

and I added a tap to drain it easier. If it goes well I will add a second pan and a warmer/feeder pan.

• Like 1

I did it for the first time last year, and am starting to tap this weekend.

Doewhacker, what's your heat source for the pan? I used a large pot on a propane burner last year and the propane cost was a bit much.

I was thinking of using wood this year, but I like the control and consistent heat of the propane.

That's what we did last year too, this year I am switching to wood and finishing it off inside over a gas burner.

edit to add,last year my neighbor and I found a coupon for half price propane and used it for about 10 tanks worth combined.lol

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

Dang!  How many taps and how much do you produce?

We only run ten taps, I am just hobby syrup enjoyer. I do wish to add more each year, this year I rigged up the pan for outside cooking. Last year we did it with a propane burner outside and that was a pain.

I grew up helping my dad so getting back into it as an adult is fun.

Only small scale compared to some producers on here. Hope to have 14 gallon of syrup, come seasons end. We ran out from 9, last season. Once family and friends get a taste, it seems you never have enough, LOL.  Pics are from 11 oclock this morning.

I had to count how many taps I did put out; 61 total. This whole maple thing can become addictive, as others have warned.

post-888-0-06511700-1456508148_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-25527300-1456508257_thumb.jpg

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 3

Galvanized steel contain the heavy metal zinc and should never be used for food storage or cooking. Cooking in galvanized containers produces zinc oxide flumes.  Stainless steel for cooking  and approved" food grade" plastic for storage. Full size 22ga. steam table pans, 6" deep work well for the hobbiest.

Neighboring farm has cooked down 5 batches so far this season.They have nearly 600 taps quite impressive to see the amount of work that goes into the production.With the set up they have I wouldn't besuprised if they cook afew batches of shine as well.

My ex-wife and one of her female friends used to run about 50 taps every spring.  In average year they would have about 20-25 gallons finished product.

Then we got divorced and my syrup supply kinda dried up lol..

I get it now from an old gent in Ontario, Canada who gives me permission to hunt gobblers on his land.

I make it a point to buy 3 or 4 liters from him every spring, whether I need it or not.

Uhh.....sitting out this year due to too many other commitments.

Say WHAT? Your stuff is the BEST..................

I'm devastated..........Aunt Jemima Light is all the wife buys, I'm going to need to smuggle some in.  Maybe I'll put it in a gun box since I can get them in pretty easy?!?!

:)

Say WHAT? Your stuff is the BEST..................

I'm devastated..........Aunt Jemima Light is all the wife buys, I'm going to need to smuggle some in.  Maybe I'll put it in a gun box since I can get them in pretty easy?!?!

:)

Like I always say I give it away to "family and friends".....

Well I'm also in pretty short supply of both so no worries; I have several gallons bottled here just looking for a home. ^_^

• Like 1

Like I always say I give it away to "family and friends".....

Well I'm also in pretty short supply of both so no worries; I have several gallons bottled here just looking for a home. ^_^

Sweet. ;)

Cancel the omelets & oatmeal, Flap Jacks and French Toast are up again ......WOOT!

• Like 3

Put in 650 taps today and another 650 to 700 tomorrow. Full vacuum system and 150 buckets to show the kids how it used to be done . Hope to make 800 to 900 gals this year. Its a hobby gone wrong but its fun.

That seems like it has to be a very very large task...

What does a place like spragues do a year any idea?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk