Sap Season

Doewhacker

Thanks for the info. Years ago, we used to boil sap using one of those big galvanized wash tubs, but stopped doing that when somebody mentioned that it might not be a real good idea. Actually nobody got sick, but that doesn't mean that it was a good idea. Also, I did come across an old broken down sugar shack that had a huge galvanized tank over the fire pit. The outfit was a fair sized operation. I knew the guy that ran the outfit, back in the 40's. However, we used to do a lot of things that have since been proven to be not so healthy .... lol.

Everyone that's boiling; what is you sap to syrup ratio running? My first boil February 2nd was 56 to 1. Fridays has dropped down to 47 to 1. We usually run nearly 3 percent sugar content by mid to late March.

Looks like another boil down day on yeap year. Dang if I didn't drop my hydrometer Friday. Now is when a spare would have come in handy. Ordered two red line, calibrated ones from Smokey Lake. Will be much easier to see.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Looks like milder temps are in store for next week for an extended period. Most likely will run Sunday into Monday.  Could this be the end of the maple season here in New York?

Mine hasn't run since last weekend, I bought 25 more taps and plan on running them tonight. I don't think this will be the end, its just getting started. Hopefully the sugar content increases!

I didn't read the whole thread and I know very little about making maple syrup. My buddy was telling me you can tap black walnuts too but more sap is needed to yield syrup ?! Is he pulling my leg ?

You can tap walnut , and also tap birch trees for syrup.

Not sure what the sugar content is for yield.

• Like 1

What kind of trees do you need? This is all interesting to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you need is some maple trees, 5/16" taps, food grade containers to hold the sap on the tree, a container to gather- hold the sap, and something to boiling down the sap into syrup. Turkey fryers with a big stainless steel pan can be used. I prefer a slight smokey taste done over a wood fire.

Days like this, I fall far behind due to excessive flow.

• Like 2

All you need is some maple trees, 5/16" taps, food grade containers to hold the sap on the tree, a container to gather- hold the sap, and something to boiling down the sap into syrup. Turkey fryers with a big stainless steel pan can be used. I prefer a slight smokey taste done over a wood fire.

Days like this, I fall far behind due to excessive flow.

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only my second year of this hobby (6-8 buckets behind the house), and I have heard/read that it's the freezing temps overnight and above freezing temps during the day that gives the best sap flows due to changing pressures in the tree. Well it hasn't been below freezing at my place at least 6 days, and my buckets runneth over. I'm overflowing in 12 hours where last week I was only getting a half bucket in 24 hrs.

So I'd like to ask the more experienced guys;

Is this normal?

The sap stays good if I keep it cool, correct?

My trees haven't started to show buds yet, but that may be a day or two away - that's the first signal of the end, right?

Thanks in advance!

I've been tapped since 1/31. My peak production was Monday  3-6 at 47 gallons. I had some trees not run this last go around , most likely due to bacteria in the tap hole and budding. I try to keep my sap on ice until boil, but as long as it's 38 F. or below, you're alright. We had a good freezing night last, so hopeful it will run today with highs near 60. The tree buds swell, sap may continue to run, but be cloudy. Lower quality syrup.

Oh, and that 47 gallons only amounted to 1 gallon of syrup. Sugar content came up some, from 57 gallon in early Feburary.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Ours ran great today, made up for warm temps this week in one day.

Cooked down at 26-1 today. I have about 35 gallons to boil tomorrow which is a good amount for me. I am super happy that the sugar content went way up from the first cook down which was 67-1.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 2

How has everyone maple season been? Last run was March 12th - 14th here; deep woods trees. Sap still nice and clear. Ratio of 52 to 1. About 3/4 the sap of last season with more taps in. Just under 6 gallons of syrup off 300+ gallons of sap.  I'm still optimistic for another run as temps are surging  into upper 30's today.

I'm a little ahead of last year with finished product at 2.5 gallons so far. I'm hoping I'll get another run this week with two nights of cold temps here (teens). I have ten gallons of sap cooking today from what I couldn't get done last weekend. Strange year but ok overall.

I was wondering if any of you hard working lucky stiffs able to make their own maple sugar syrup ever boiled some down to granules? For years now one of the secrets to my blueberry, blackberry and especially raspberry pies is dusting the top crust with maple sugar granules.

But man is it expensive!

I was wondering if any of you hard working lucky stiffs able to make their own maple sugar syrup ever boiled some down to granules? For years now one of the secrets to my blueberry, blackberry and especially raspberry pies is dusting the top crust with maple sugar granules.

But man is it expensive!

I would think it is so expensive becasue of the amount of heat and time required. That must be kept moving, i would think, so it wouldn't burn. I've made a lot of fudge and that can burn in a snap if you aren't careful and it is about all sugar.