Ladderstand Blinds / Concealment

My buddy has some ladder stands he had made a number of years ago that are very nice except for one glaring error.......the sides "arm rests" were an OK height for resting your arms but lousy as a gun rest for a shot.  I made some sides for a bunch of them with a some left over cedar boards I had (some were given to me by a friend) on hand.  They were about (?) 8" higher than the existing sides.  Besides the increased height for shooting accurately, they also offered protection from the cold wind/rain/snow and they help to hide movement from legs and hands.  Win/win/win.

The fronts are wide open, concealment isn't the top priority.......YMMV.

At least in my experience with ladder stands over the years, concealment isn't the main issue. Simply breaking up your profile and reducing your movements is more important. Some of my ladder stands that are s/u in more open woods areas, I wrap the below die cut camo cloth around the sides of the platform from arm rests down to the platform. This cloth is die cut so the wind doesn't blow on it like a sail and it tends to last maybe 4-5 years before it weathers and needs replacing. Have also tie wrapped branches around the platform and it seems to break-up the hunters outline somewhat. Of course this all depends on what type of stand sitter you are, constantly moving or figidity or playing with smartphone or sitting still with head movements only. BTW - does come in smaller qty. Should put up early or wash with scent-free soap to remove any mfg residuals or UV components.

A requirement or  product endorsement..by no means. I've shot numerous bucks from un-concealed ladder stands at 10-12yrds.

CamoLeafBllind_Max4HD.jpg

• Like 4

I use ladder stands and prefer the double rail type seems much more sturdy and as far as  ground blinds go i have a few my favorite is the man cave ,very roomy and when used in cold weather you can bring a propane heater inside which helps on very cold and damp days.The roof area on top outside gets soaked in waterproof spray before I use it and seam  sealer finishes the job.

p.s. beware of moisture buildup inside the blind .I use a rag to wipe it off. I also buy tent stakes from wallmart to keep the blind sturdy in high winds.hope this helps

More and more I use ladder stands in gun and bow . I used to be concerned with concealment but it's not been an issue. I really like this field and stream stand 17 footer with large thick beams , pretty solid stand .

As you can see this one is in a triple tree which helps break up things a bit. I also carried it in ( 2 trips) and put it up myself .

post-253-0-98702700-1456752431_thumb.jpe

The only issue with ladder stands is the opportunity to overhunt them since they are easy to access, and sometimes height challenges.

But in large, most of our permanent setups are ladderstands and we do just fine without concealment.

Not to hijack this thread, but if there were a top 10 list of ladder stand use techniques or tips & tricks, concealment would more than likely end up at #9 or #10. IMHO - When I'm choosing a spot I'm primarily looking along/near travel routes of course, but secondly at the proposed location's backdrop, sky-lining or what my profile might look like with & w/o the foliage on the trees..