Jobs-What do you do for an living

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to retiring, I was a Quality Engineer & Quality Manager.

Before going back to college in my mid-30s, I had worked in production machining & at a salt mine. Spent some time working for the government during the peak of the Viet Nam war. Have worked for Fortune 100, mid-sized and small privately owned companies. Been on the shop floor and in the offices - on both sides of supervision.

I am in the construction industry. I was a surveyor by trade when I started out but am now a manager for a construction company.

where were you a surveyor?  I am also a Land surveyor, I currently have my 8 years in and hope to be getting my aplications together in the next couple of years so I can sit for the test.  Not looking forward to that test.

Good luck. I was actually a construction surveyor.....back b4 land surveyors got into it. I was in the operating Engineers union doing it. Figuring slope staking, curves and spirals on highways long hand on the tests....thought we had the world by the butt when HP came out with the 41C....Technology really changed the industry. Some of the surveyors I hire today can't even adjust their own instruments any more.

5 years in the navy.Had a great time. Now work in the maintenance dept. of a hospital. Just do whatever they tell me to do or just find stuff to do on my own. Also travel to different hospitals to test and repair fire / smoke dampers. Also do a little bit of fire caulking when need be..

Ahh the old hp I only used one for a short time then went to the new on board stuff.  I do some contruction s/o but not much.  Good to see someone else with some surveying back ground.  The guns now you really don't have to know anything about surveying you just have to know how to push buttons when told.  Kind of scary when it comes down to it.  Good luck this season.

I am a carpenter by trade kind of a jack of all, there is no area of construction I have not been in or can't do. I settled into drywall and taping (thats where I made the most money). 7 years ago I went in on a business venture with my father selling used cars (modern and vintage) we both share a passion for cars. All my life I have been in the shop turning wrenches on our own hotrods and antiques now we both own a small 40 car car lot in vermont just over the NY/VT border.

www.borderviewauto.com

I'm an artist, self-employed, and some contract work.  I know that when I tell people that they get mental images of eccentric fru-fru type of people, but let me tell you that I work harder and longer hours then I ever did in a 'normal' 9-5 job, haha. I do a bunch of stuff, recently mostly wildlife painting and I have been entering hunting stamp competitions (such as duck stamps).