Haying Fields

orion

A guy stopped by and asked if he could cut our fields for hay, Our fields are OLD hay fields which have been brushed hogged yearly for the last twenty or so years. Nothing else has been done with them, if you ask me they don't look much like grass as much as they used to.

Is there much value in the fields? Do we need to get any type of liability waiver incase he hurts himself? Just wondering what others do?

Thanks

Farmer cuts my parents old fields that sat for a decade after the horses were sold. Cows will eat it. no or early second cutting so there's some growth come deer season. We're not talking some well to do farm operation ~ I'm sure it helps him out plenty and just the same that it is to us.You brush hog them anyways which we would also do if the farmer didn't want it.

I get $.50 for square bales & $5 for round bales depending on what the farmer does in a particular year. It will also save you the cost of bush hogging & will be more attractive to the deer in early fall before frost hits the new growth of green grass.

An added bonus is that if the farmer spreads manure, it will become a serious turkey magnet as they pick through the manure.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Hay shortage, around this area for the last three years. First cutting wild hay selling here for $175/ ton, if you can find it.

we're about $10 over that. not haylage or high moisture wrap round bales.  that's normal square bales.  you come get it and we help load.  seems it's been a little short recent years but not too bad.

The Mermaid has perhaps  40 acres of old hayfield on her 107 acres.. I have limed and fertilized about 8 acres adjoining the woods and have planted food plots there for 7 or 8 years now.  The rest is hayed by a neighbor..The hay ain't much, mostly weeds, but she does not charge him for it. Every year he leaves 3 round bales in a strategic place where I can use them as a ground blind to watch my food plots.  Works for us...