Some opinions about a hobby?

jimbo91

O.K. so i have a dirty little secret. I have ALWAYS been interested in gunsmithing. My family has told me to take up taxidermy, or other hunting related occupations such as a game warden. My goal in life as of now is to get my criminal justice degree and be a police officer. My question is if I want to take up gunsmithing, is it more than just a hobby? Does it have to be a job? Where would i go to learn it? Are there licenses or certifications for it? Any information would be much appreciated.

If you enjoy what you do as far as work is considered, you would not really consider it work... If you are a hunter who agrees with the laws implemented by the DEC and follow them to the fullest, enjoy being in the outdoors and have the up most passion for wild life well then being a game warden to me wouldnt be considered work per say...

goodluck in your endeavor, also how old are you?

O.K. so i have a dirty little secret. I have ALWAYS been interested in gunsmithing. My family has told me to take up taxidermy, or other hunting related occupations such as a game warden. My goal in life as of now is to get my criminal justice degree and be a police officer. My question is if I want to take up gunsmithing, is it more than just a hobby? Does it have to be a job? Where would i go to learn it? Are there licenses or certifications for it? Any information would be much appreciated.

Today, one of the things that you have to consider is whether you will be able to find a job or not once you have gone to all the effort and expense of preparing yourself for a specific occupation. After what I see going on in the DEC where their enforcement staff and all other kinds of positions in the department are being eliminated, I think a game warden is probably the last occupation I would head for.

I don't know how serious you are about gunsmithing, but we have a guy over our way (Bloomfield, NY) named Doug Turnbull who does custom work on valuable antique firearms. He's kind of world reknown in his craft, and I suspect that he is doing just fine. Of course it's not anything like a hobby....lol.... but probably was at one time. He has just put on a huge addition and now has a very sizeable "factory", and has a parking lot full of employee cars, so I am guessing that business is booming.

I'm thinking taxidermy is probably getting to be quite competitive now. They seem to be everywhere.

A police officer is probably something that someone here on the forum may be able to advise you on. We must have somebody here that is into law enforcement.

On this thread, several of your questions are answered.

Some of the posters are ACGG members. I don't know if Doug Turnbull is one but he's on par with them too. He is busy because he is a leading authority on lever guns and does the best color case work in the US.

Read D'Arcy Echols,"gunmaker"James Anderson;Duane Weibe posts.....

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/7881017641/p/1

The two schools being refered to are Trinadad;

http://www.trinidadstate.edu/

and Colorado school of trades;

http://www.schooloftrades.com/about.php

Both are where some gun makers have learned the trade.

Some guys are parts assemblers and some craftsmen; and you can decide where you want to fit in.

If you really have a passion for Wildlife & Forestry Management or Wildlife and Marine Biology. Do not let New York's financial debacle sway your desire from this vocation. With Environmental Advocacy groups, Western Ranches and outfitters, as well as the academic field. and other private sector opportunities. There are still plenty of opportunities in this area. 

Gunsmithing - check out the NRA, I know at one time they offered a gunsmithing school.

I'm 19 years old. I know that money isn't everything, and you have to enjoy your job no matter what it pays, but I worry about things that i probably shouldn't. Such as when I am 25 to 30 years old, will the occupation I chose for myself be able to buy me a house? And will I ever be able to buy land, things like that. I know money isn't everything and I could see myself being happy as a police officer, but I also love guns. I don't know I guess the biggest fear for anyone in my position is that the choice I make may be the wrong one, and I'll spend all that time and money for nothing

i would not stress on such things yet i went back to school at 25 after figuring out what i did not want to do as a living and with the way the economy is it might be good to have more than one "skill" at 19 i believe you still have plenty of time to figure out what it is that works best for you

Hey man, what about reloading bullets and shells and stuff?? my girlfriends dad does this for shotgun and it is fun to pass time and teaches you alot about bullets. Why not take that up?

I agree with grandma,no way I would join the military now.Not with the man we have running our country at the moment.Stay in school and get your degree and become a police officer.And do just what you said your self,learn to become a gun smith as a hobby and maybe make money at it later.I wish I would have listened  when I was told to stay in school.

If your interested in gunsmithing, I'd say stay in school, and go for mechanical engineering..

I've done some smithing on my guns, and would say its a great hobby, and can be a great career..

With mechanical engineering, you'll also be able to build anything or work just about anywhere else besides working on guns.

Hit your library, read up on gunsmithing. It's not a one trick pony, but a variety job that has many areas of specialty.. Metal working & refinishing, parts R&R, wood/stock craftsmanship, accurizing/blueprinting, and then all of these areas could be specialized as well to specific models, or procedures..

Check out http://www.brownells.com

I know other places tout 'they have everything for guns, ect..' but these guys are the real deal..

Order a catalog, and you'll get a peek in to the world of gunsmithing..

Good luck

There used to be a NYS college that taught gunsmithing.  Problem with that is liability. 

Better be good, so some kluz doesn't shoot himself and blame your work.  Any work done to a firearm, voids the warranty and whoever did the work excepts liability.  As far as state jobs, the Wall Street Journal today has a article that Gov. Coumo is planning to cut 10,00 state jobs to balance the budget.  Good luck and never give up.

Just my 2 cents as a retired cop.  The Border Patrol is throwing officers under the bus to calm liberals.  I feel bad for those guys, as they can't do the job they were sworn to do.  That's the reason they're having problems with recruitment and so many jobs are available.  Anyone who can is leaving.  Do your job and go to jail.  I don't think so.  Illegals have more rights than the BP officers.

I would not recommend a degree in criminal justice.  I am finishing mine up and am somewhat regretting my choice.  First if you want to be a police officer criminal justice is not a requirement for most departments.  Your degree can be in almost anything.  My buddy's dad is a trooper and his degree is in chemistry.  Also outside of law enforcement there is not exactly a plethora of things you can do with the degree.  My last complaint is the stigma.  Unfortunately when you tell people you're a criminal justice major their reaction is almost, 'oh really, you couldn't do anything else huh?"  I hate to say it but not many people are going to be impressed with your degree depending on where you get it. 

If you want to go for criminal justice though I would highly recommend University at Albany.  It's criminal justice program is ranked 2nd in the country.  You can't exactly slack off if you want to be accepted into the program but if you make it you have some of the best professors in the world.  Some examples: One of my professors is a very high up consultant for the DOJ and was frequently canceling class because the pentagon flew him out to Washington in the middle of the night.  One professor recently proposed a new plan for homeland security to the department of Homeland security, the joint chiefs, and various others - oh and he was on Oprah for a controversial book he wrote.  Another had a Ph.D and a JD from Duke Law.  Long story short incredibly intelligent, and highly respected staff there. 

My recommendation - your best bets as far as degrees go are computer science or a J.D.  if you don't become a gunsmith.