Time of morning for best results.

maytom

Personally, I have had luck right off the roost, till almost the noon hour some years. What are some of your thoughts on this for your hunt success?

(I cut this chart from an old Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine years ago because I thought it was interesting to view).

fbae3652.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the day I killed many of my birds just off the roost.  I did a lot of my hunting before work in the morning and my goal was always to be close enough to the roost to work  the bird as soon as he flew down.

Now that I have retired, my strategy has changed.  Rather than crowd the roost and try to kill the bird when he first flies down, I hunt areas where I expect the gobbler to come looking for hens later in the morning,  after the flurry of activity that takes place right after flydown.

Now I'm killing most of my birds between 9:00 am and noon.  I'm spending much less time running all over the woods and much more time sitting in a comfortable chair in a popup blind.

• Like 2

Don't think I have a best time window. I've killed birds early and right up until the noon bell ringer. I can say that I'm sitting at o'dark thirty and listen to the woods wake up. I'd be afraid to go out later and wonder if I missed anything happening. And nothing better than having the woods come alive at dawn.

• Like 4

I try to like turkey hunting , but getting up earlier then in deer season to sit in a green , ,buggy , sometimes hot woods does not appeal much to me .

I do,like that I don't have to shower first and can drink strong coffee while sitting here .