Austin City Limits

Zem18

I was talking with the guys at work and remembered seeing the show Austin City Limits one night on PBS for the first time. I was a sophomore in high school. The band was Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble 1989. I just watched it again tonight on YouTube. What an incredible guitar player he was.

Just wanted to share my trip down memory lane. Link is below. Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LyVI25osbkk

• Like 4

I was stuck in traffic leaving the Alpine Valley amphitheater just outside of East Troy Wisconsin the night that he died. A good friend and I drove from Buffalo to see that show featuring Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, and SRV. The radio in my truck was broken and we didn't find out about his death until we got back to Buffalo the next day. If I had looked in my rear-view mirror I might have seen the helicopter crash. A terrible end for a musical genius.

I saw his show at The Red Creek in Rochester in the early-mid 1980's before anyone outside of Texas knew who he was. There were maybe 30 people in the place so I got a chance to drink a few shots with him and chat between sets. He was a very soft-spoken and humble man.

• Like 3

There was a full film crew at that show in Wisconsin, including a boom truck. I don't understand why, after nearly 25 years, that video footage of SRV's amazing last show has never been released. I've seen several spectator/amateur videos from that night, but none of them do justice to the performance. Maybe we'll see it some day. I was about 30 feet in front of the sound board and a bit to the north of center drinking a beer, but I didn't wave to the cameras.

• Like 1

I was fortunate to see Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble in a small club called "The Chance" in Poughkeepsie in 1984. I think it was The Texas Flood Tour. Some of my favorite tunes he recorded was Scuttle Buttin' and Couldn't Stand The Weather. He was a phenomenal guitarist IMO.

Slightly OT.....Saw The Who at MSG two nights ago. One of my favorite bands along with The Stones , Clapton , Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

• Like 1

I was stuck in traffic leaving the Alpine Valley amphitheater just outside of East Troy Wisconsin the night that he died. A good friend and I drove from Buffalo to see that show featuring Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, and SRV. The radio in my truck was broken and we didn't find out about his death until we got back to Buffalo the next day. If I had looked in my rear-view mirror I might have seen the helicopter crash. A terrible end for a musical genius.

I saw his show at The Red Creek in Rochester in the early-mid 1980's before anyone outside of Texas knew who he was. There were maybe 30 people in the place so I got a chance to drink a few shots with him and chat between sets. He was a very soft-spoken and humble man.

I saw that Clapton show in Massachusetts a couple weeks earlier
  • Like 2

• Like 1

Not everyone Phil, I was rocking to Stevie Ray and his brother in the Fabulous Thunderbirds back then as well.

Also had George Thorogood on 8 track way before any of my friends heard of him .

James Cotton was my favorite blues player though .

Damn wish my speakers weren't blown ......

• Like 2

Not everyone Phil, I was rocking to Stevie Ray and his brother in the Fabulous Thunderbirds back then as well.

Also had George Thorogood on 8 track way before any of my friends heard of him .

James Cotton was my favorite blues player though .

Damn wish my speakers weren't blown ......

Jimmy Lee Vaughan was on stage for the encore jam that night, along with Buddy Guy. Jimmie and Stevie had just released "Family Style".

Stevie Ray was sitting on his amp, off to the side, while everyone else was trading licks during 'Sweet Home Chicago'. Clapton finally walked over to him and said something. Stevie Ray stood up and tore the place apart one last time. Clapton, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Lee, Robert Cray, and a half dozen other guitarists just stood there nodding and/or shaking their heads. Stevie Ray was actually that good that night.

• Like 1