QuickLOAD

shawnhu

To be honest I did not know a thing about it until I saw Wildcat Junkie's back and forth posts with you. Looks like quite the the program but for me at this stage of the game probably a bit of an overload for my  lead poisoned  brain. ;)  

I will be interested in hearing your review of how it works out for you and your reloads.

Al

• Like 1

One of the features I use most is the ability to use a given pressure ceiling/load density spec  to explore what powders will yield the most Mv. You must 1st establish the COAL of your cartridge & it helps to know the H2O capacity of a fired case so your chamber can factored in.

Shawnhu....I certainly know of it but don't know much about it. Please explain how it is used and what you're hoping to get out of it.

Just got it in the mail today, so I'm brand spanking new. But... Here's some data being crunched already.

694def3f3f1f3855c2687df644a16d88.jpg

Take note of the barrel time on the Results window as 0.925 ms. This is the time it takes for the bullet to leave the barrel.

d35e8060e627dc06d40152bba8aa2dd2.jpg

Then take note of the 4th node calculated by Chris Long for my 20" barrel.

This recipe also happens to shoot under 1/2 MOA for me at the range at 100 yards.

I hope to cut my "required" range time and component usage by quite a bit with the aid of this software and the concepts of OBT.

Edit:

Here's an example of how QL may save me some components and range time, as well as barrel life.

6a4628acffc183e014ae62bc900f3fc4.jpg

The fifth node calls for 1.0257 barrel time for my 20" barrel. QL predicts this barrel time to be at 40.3gr of IMR4350. Time to load up some rounds!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

Run some calcs for RL-17.

You'll probably gain 100fps over IMR 4350 W/the same chamber pressure. Just be aware that you will have to increase the charges 2-3 gr from predicted. RL-17 reacts well to compressed loads shrinking standard deviation.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Yesterday was range day, and we put some lead down range. In my last range session, I found a decent load that would produce ~1/2 MOA and I would now use this as my control group for the rifle.

Here's the control group, 3 rounds to start and 2 at the end of the range session.

efb3f34ea7c46f6ca5fc6aed487295e9.jpg

Shot a few ladders, but this one was interesting. Will have to explore this some more in the future.

ed285cd256e98eaa69592a36c80fcd74.jpg

Another note of interest, I forgot to properly seat my control group, and ended up shooting them loaded @ the lands. They were supposed to be .01" off the lands. Whoops. Turned out ok though.

I am having some trouble with QL though, my range data is not matching with QL, total bummer.

I am having some trouble with QL though, my range data is not matching with QL, total bummer.

Quickload is a tool just like "book data". I can not be 200% accurate for every rifle & load. It is to be used as a comparative tool & an estimate of chamber pressure when actual Mv is determined.

I found significant decrepencies in actual Mv between a Savage AXIS II & a M700 in 7mm-08 W/the same 22" barrel length.

• Like 1

a49c3ca761a6ec5901ab391a9cea2a61.jpg

I felt that my sub 1/2 MOA load was a bit hot and i wanted to pursue a lower charge load using the same powder and bullet, but wanted to do it with minimal components. I used QL to figure out where that load might be, and started loading up some 40.1gr IMR4350 with several different searing depths. I've never shot a group at this charge before, so I was solely basing my faith in QL to be accurate.

QL and OBT indicated that the next node should be around the 40.1gr charge. Doesn't look too shabby.

Took about 12 shots to find a good seating depth.

The other 9 rounds were control and other loads I'm developing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Range HELL !!.. I'm ready to go kill a deer a week from Saturday ....>...
I have a bunch of 30-06, a bunch of 7MM08 and a bunch of .280 Rem loaded up....
The 30-06 gets first chance to play this year....After that, who knows ?

I've been a bit busy as of late Dan, otherwise I'd be ready to go by now. Hopefully no hiccups at the range and she shoots true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1