New 2016 crossbow legislation introduced

nyslowhand

Actually, the easiest way to do that is during a season where they already have the most efficient equipment to really do the job. That would be the regular gun season. If they were really serious about that little "doe only" fiasco, and if they truly wanted the doe population whacked on, they would have done the real obvious solution which would have been to devote a few days of gun season to "doe-only" harvesting.

The deer population control has absolutely nothing to do with crossbows, or bow season. I know it, you know it, and the DEC knows it too. So no, the crossbow is not the salvation of overpopulated situations or even close. However, if that is what they are pinning their hopes on, they will be real happy to start working firearms into the bow season as they are threatening. While that is something that bowhunters would really hate seeing, I do believe that that is the DEC's end game. The crossbow push by the DEC is more likely motivated as an initial interim conditioning step to break down the bowhunter resistance as they work toward the time when the mix of firearms and bows is maximized.

Seems kind of counter productive the way they went about it. The areas that are the most difficult on population control (bow only areas)were the areas they left out of the new crossbow inclusion. 

Seems kind of counter productive the way they went about it. The areas that are the most difficult on population control (bow only areas)were the areas they left out of the new crossbow inclusion. 

I really question as to whether or not the people who make theses laws even know the capabilities of a compound -vs- a crossbow......I haven't done any studies, but with my limited experience with a crossbow, I'm fairly confident that if I shot my compound alongside the crossbow, the projectile from the compound would travel quite a bit further then the one from my crossbow. I'm assuming it's a safety concern with the crossbow that limits where it can be used and the discharge distance allowed......

• Like 1

I really question as to whether or not the people who make theses laws even know the capabilities of a compound -vs- a crossbow......I haven't done any studies, but with my limited experience with a crossbow, I'm fairly confident that if I shot my compound alongside the crossbow, the projectile from the compound would travel quite a bit further then the one from my crossbow. I'm assuming it's a safety concern with the crossbow that limits where it can be used and the discharge distance allowed......

But I believe the bill that is in equals the distance of the crossbow to the compound. basically makes it all the same except for the areas the crossbow isn't allowed. and to me those are probably the areas that could have used the most  benefit at all. 

• Like 1

But I believe the bill that is in equals the distance of the crossbow to the compound. basically makes it all the same except for the areas the crossbow isn't allowed. and to me those are probably the areas that could have used the most  benefit at all. 

I just looked at the DEC site. It says the setback distance is 150FT for vertical bows & 250FT for crossbows.

The timing of this new Xbow legislation was not ideal. Don't many of these minor legislations get attached to the new budget proposal? Then when the budget deadline reaches the 11th hour they get pealed off and never see the light of day again. Convinced the Xbow legislation that was proposed last year went the same route. Wait & see!

I'm fairly confident that if I shot my compound alongside the crossbow, the projectile from the compound would travel quite a bit further then the one from my crossbow. I'm assuming it's a safety concern with the crossbow that limits where it can be used and the discharge distance allowed......

It all about initial arrow velocity regardless of what weapon is generating the power. For those looking to buy a crossbow or bow, you should pay more attention to release velocity than draw weight. Typically crossbows are higher draw weight which increases speed but shorter stroke length which reduces speed. The result with most designs, however, usually makes the crossbow a little faster a bow. Be aware that's not true in comparisons. Typical bows speeds range from 200 to 300 feet per second. Where a typical crossbow is from 250 to 400 feet per second. Again that's not saying there aren't some faster or slower. 

Current setbacks are 150ft (50 yds) for bow and 250ft (~84Yds) for crossbow. The new bill proposes both bow and crossbow at 150ft (50yds) setback. The more critical safety difference between bow and crossbow is in handling a cocked crossbow. One needs to be aware that a cocked crossbow is like an armed rat trap and it's one mean rat trap. The archers hands, not holding the string in tension, are free to wander into triangular string path. While shooting, a raised thumb on the hand holding the fore stock can be clipped off short. Other than that I think a crossbow is as safe as a standard bow.

Current setbacks are 150ft (50 yds) for bow and 250ft (~84Yds) for crossbow. The new bill proposes both bow and crossbow at 150ft (50yds) setback. The more critical safety difference between bow and crossbow is in handling a cocked crossbow. One needs to be aware that a cocked crossbow is like an armed rat trap and it's one mean rat trap. The archers hands, not holding the string in tension, are free to wander into triangular string path. While shooting, a raised thumb on the hand holding the fore stock can be clipped off short. Other than that I think a crossbow is as safe as a standard bow.

I don't think the setbacks and safety have anything to do with the injury one might do to ones self. I'm talking about how far the projectile will carry, I was surprised at how quickly the crossbow bolt dropped as opposed to the arrow from my compound.

I don't think the setbacks and safety have anything to do with the injury one might do to ones self. I'm talking about how far the projectile will carry, I was surprised at how quickly the crossbow bolt dropped as opposed to the arrow from my compound.

not following. Damage to ones self? you that quick to get down range ahead of the bolt? lol

Those areas left out by this new legislation are done so because they are local regulations that supersede the state laws, those will need to be changed seperate.

The best part about this is the x bow will need a bowhunting course to use one, a little education keeps the "slob hunters" that everyone seems to know are out there away from use of buying and signing a piece of paper... this is also why you bought a muzzleloader licence. If they had a seperate x bow license you would have to be grand fathered in, this way there is no grand fathering as now it will fall under archery and require a bow license or course to use. (Seems that the dec had this planned ahead doesn't it?)

just got an email from NY Bowhunters opposing this Bill....pretty sure I cancelled my membership when they opposed the youth season.

Not opposed, but its pretty sad a youth season is even needed. The gov't needs to make a special season so some guy will take his kid hunting? My dad used to just take us with him anytime.

• Like 1

Not opposed, but its pretty sad a youth season is even needed. The gov't needs to make a special season so some guy will take his kid hunting? My dad used to just take us with him anytime.

just an added bonus for guys who love hunting with their kids to be out there, I can't imagine anyone using that as the one and only opportunity to spend time with their kids....yes, sad if that's the case.

• Like 1

just an added bonus for guys who love hunting with their kids to be out there, I can't imagine anyone using that as the one and only opportunity to spend time with their kids....yes, sad if that's the case.

There was  nothing preventing them being out there prior to that the special season

• Like 1

Those areas left out by this new legislation are done so because they are local regulations that supersede the state laws, those will need to be changed seperate.

The best part about this is the x bow will need a bowhunting course to use one, a little education keeps the "slob hunters" that everyone seems to know are out there away from use of buying and signing a piece of paper... this is also why you bought a muzzleloader licence. If they had a seperate x bow license you would have to be grand fathered in, this way there is no grand fathering as now it will fall under archery and require a bow license or course to use. (Seems that the dec had this planned ahead doesn't it?)

If the crossbow is listed as archery equipment why would local regulations be required? I don't know about the NYC area but the 8c allows bowhunting

If the crossbow is listed as archery equipment why would local regulations be required? I don't know about the NYC area but the 8c allows bowhunting

yeah, I would think if crossbows get listed as archery equipment they would be fair game in any area that currently allows it....