NYC lost one of its two republicans?

mike rossi

Part of the difficulty in learning about who is running in elections in NY for state office is that the State Board of Elections only posts information on candidates who are running in districts that cross county lines.  If there are candidates who's district boundaries are within the boundaries of a single county (Assm. 62, part of Richmond County), the State Board of Elections considers that race a local race, even though the candidate is running for a state office.  Great, right?

It gets a little more confusing, of course.  Richmond County's board of elections is under the auspices of the NYC Board of Elections, because...

As far as I can tell, there is one candidate running in the special election: 

- Ron Castorina, Republican

Edited by RebelDarling

Part of the difficulty in learning about who is running in elections in NY for state office is that the State Board of Elections only posts information on candidates who are running in districts that cross county lines.  If there are candidates who's district boundaries are within the boundaries of a single county (Assm. 62, part of Richmond County), the State Board of Elections considers that race a local race, even though the candidate is running for a state office.  Great, right?

It gets a little more confusing, of course.  Richmond County's board of elections is under the auspices of the NYC Board of Elections, because...

As far as I can tell, there is one candidate running in the special election: 

- Ron Castorina, Republican

First thing I want to point out as interesting is you are from Albany County. Why are you in this thread? Is it because your proximity to the state house makes you more interested in elections or do you work in the state house?

I disagree that it is difficult to determine who is running for office. it just takes a little effort, but not much at all. Fact is I do not have the time to do everything, and people need to feel they are part of an initiative, or else they do not feel invested in it. 

I come on this section because I see a real significance with the NYC hunter.There are about 156 assembly reps, of which only 90 do not represent NYC.

That means 66 do represent NYC. To achieve a majority vote in the assembly, it requires 76 votes - thus NOTHING can be done without the cooperation of the NYC assembly. 

Of the entire Legislature, assembly and senate representing NYC - there is now only one republican from Staten Island, who happens to also be an anti-hunter.

I am not of the opinion that a republican majority is the key to the promise land of hunting legislation. As a matter of fact, we published a report which clearly shows it is not. Never the less, many hunters will never be convinced otherwise. 

This Castorino guy is probably a dead ringer for the Italian catholic staten island district ( only section of NYC a republican has a chance apparently) . But, he took on Cuomo, pro bouno and that proves he is an aggressive attorney. But aggressive lawyers do better in the private sector than in the Legislature where they must compromise. Maybe not so if you are the POUS or Governor, but on the Legist, you need to be a team player. Pissing off the Gov might be a handicap ....

With so much wind coming from this forum and the hunting community in general, the lack of awareness is astounding. NY Dove Hunting is not a PAC or otherwise involved in elections, but in the future we might need to evolve into such to meet our goals. 

But in order for us to operate in the present, our people need to be informed and engaged. We can send castorino a survey and same to all other candidates and incumbents, to access their attitudes toward dove hunting and pheasant stocking, but it will have little practical  use at this time. We are not even after a dove bill right now, there is still much foundation work to do, such a bill would likely be defeated at this time. 

You make comments about the difficulty determining districting maps and all that, but we got an easy reference on our website:

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/the-new-york-state-legislature-up-close.html

and       http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/letter-writing.html

It would be more important to vote OUT the other staten island republican - a humane society endorsed anti hunter, than it would be to elect castorino. The HS is not worried about controlling NYC - however if there are one or two republicans they will seek to buy them out. They could not buy out Borrelli or he did not need to be bought. The other however, probably didnt need to be bought either, she may present well for the HS and they wanted to lock her in.

I said before, the only people living in NYC, who do not have any say about hunting policy - are the hunters who live there. I tried to get that point across on this site, and it went clear over the hairlines.... Still working on it, help me out...... 

The main reason I'm in this thread is that you asked a question, and I knew the answer.  The thread popped up in my "Recent Topics" feed.  And... I'm a helpful kind of guy.  I knew the answer because I run a legislative information and intelligence service based in Albany.  I live across the Hudson River in Rensselaer County.

In my experience it is difficult to learn who is running for state office when district lines are contained within a individual county.  The State Board of Elections does not make that information available on their website because they consider it a local election, even though the candidate is running for state office.  Some "local" boards of election do not make this information readily available on their websites, which is both ridiculous and time consuming for the voter.  District maps are fine, but it's who wants to sit in that seat that really matters.  This, in my opinion, is an area that can easily be improved upon and should be without delay.  But this is beside the point of this thread...

Are there any NYC-based hunting organizations?  Basically, people who are already grouped in numbers that would sign letters to legislators...  I'm in the dark on that front...

I don't know that I can help beyond basic info here, but when I can, I do help.

Good luck...

• Like 4

The main reason I'm in this thread is that you asked a question, and I knew the answer.  The thread popped up in my "Recent Topics" feed.  And... I'm a helpful kind of guy.  I knew the answer because I run a legislative information and intelligence service based in Albany.  I live across the Hudson River in Rensselaer County.

In my experience it is difficult to learn who is running for state office when district lines are contained within a individual county.  The State Board of Elections does not make that information available on their website because they consider it a local election, even though the candidate is running for state office.  Some "local" boards of election do not make this information readily available on their websites, which is both ridiculous and time consuming for the voter.  District maps are fine, but it's who wants to sit in that seat that really matters.  This, in my opinion, is an area that can easily be improved upon and should be without delay.  But this is beside the point of this thread...

Are there any NYC-based hunting organizations?  Basically, people who are already grouped in numbers that would sign letters to legislators...  I'm in the dark on that front...

I don't know that I can help beyond basic info here, but when I can, I do help.

Good luck...

A link to your business would be a great start, maybe I will meet with you at some point.

Second - a google search , varying the key words is an easy way to find out what is going on with elections. 

There are two NYC-based hunting organizations I am aware of. One is the NYC hunting meetup, which is a hunting club rather than an entity that works toward policy.

The other organization I started and is still in the embryo stages, it is the United Hunters of NYC  http://unitedhuntersofnyc.weebly.com/

I think the point I'm making on elections is that a Board of Elections is an official, taxpayer funded location for all administration of and information on state and local elections.  I shouldn't have to use a search engine to learn about who is running for an election.  As a voter, that information could and should be readily available on a board of elections website, be it local or state.  A board of elections should be one of the first links offered in any search for a state/local election.  In my line of work, I need official documents as well as the information contained within, and I don't think it is too much to ask of our government to make that information readily available to all.

Anywho...

Here is the link to the login page for the service I run:

http://www.nystatewatch.com/

Best of luck in organizing!

• Like 2

As a person who worked in science and legal investigation, I will tell you to get at the truth and the facts requires that you man up and dig like an archaeologist, you dont expect things to be handed to you, you dont depend  on election boards, the Po-leece and all that crap. 

Our reports actually need some corrections, here they are:

Some Anti-Hunting Members of the NY Legislature:

• Senator Linda Rosenthal, Humane Legislator of the Year
• Senator Andrew Lanza, District 24 Humane Legislator of the Year (REPUBLICAN – STATEN ISLAND)
• Assemblywoman Nicole Malliokakis, District 64 Endorsed by the HSUS (REPUBLICAN – STATEN ISLAND)
• Senator Phil Boyle, District 4 (REPUBLICAN)
• Senator Tony Avella, District 11
• Assemblyman Steven Cymbrowitz District 45
• Assemblyman Fred Thiele District 1

Edited by mike rossi

Hi, Mike.

I was happy to "man up" as you put it, and provide you with the name of the sole candidate running for the special election seat, which, to get the official list of candidates, only required that I call the Richmond County Board of Elections.  Twice.

Best of luck organizing!

PS - Linda Rosenthal is a Member of the Assembly...

• Like 1

A link to your business would be a great start, maybe I will meet with you at some point.

Second - a google search , varying the key words is an easy way to find out what is going on with elections.

There are two NYC-based hunting organizations I am aware of. One is the NYC hunting meetup, which is a hunting club rather than an entity that works toward policy.

The other organization I started and is still in the embryo stages, it is the United Hunters of NYC http://unitedhuntersofnyc.weebly.com/

There's a few more than that. They might not have wanted to include you, that's all. Seeing that you're not even from the area and have agendas.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

Actually. It doesnt seem you looked at my reports anyway and saw the link I was refering to so I will isolate it for ya, here ya go:

http://www.urbanresearchmaps.org/nystatelegislature/map.html

When you read my material, I will read yours, I think that is a fair deal.....

Hi, again, Mike.

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of intentions here, so I'll be as clear as I can: I'm not looking for a "fair deal."  I'm not interested in dove hunting at this early stage in my hunting life, and since, as you pointed out earlier, I do not live in NYC, I'm likely unable, as I pointed out earlier, to help you organize NYC hunters.  This is why I continually wish you luck. 

I was, however, looking to help in a way that I could by simply providing basic information of which I was aware, namely that Borelli took a seat in the NYC Council, and that a single republican candidate is running to fill that seat during a special election to be held on April 19.  I also answered subsequent questions you asked.  I also added an aside about my experiences in dealing with many boards of elections, and that, unfortunately, derailed the original conversation. 

For the record, and this is for the benefit of anyone who uses the urbanresearch maps: that link will take you to district demographic information from 2012, confirmed data on the most recent census.  The link to "See the list of candidates for..." will take you to ballotpedia, but for 2012.  You can look up information on ballotpedia for current candidates running in active elections, but that information is not always the most current due to the reasons I've stated in prior posts on this thread.

Good luck, Mike!

- over and out

• Like 2

I get your point but is it really that big a deal?  Mike was just looking for info from somebody in region 2 that might know what was going on. 

You jump on me because I was imbibing in some spirits and posted a response.  I think I'm owed an apology....................until I get it,  no more fishing tips for you.  :)

Very sorry Larry. May the Gods have mercy on my soul, for I knew not what I was thinking! I don't know what I would do without your insight on fishing, probably still go catch a lot of fish. LOL

Very sorry Larry. May the Gods have mercy on my soul, for I knew not what I was thinking! I don't know what I would do without your insight on fishing, probably still go catch a lot of fish. LOL

Apology excepted.

Good luck with your fishing this spring........

Hi, again, Mike.

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of intentions here, so I'll be as clear as I can: I'm not looking for a "fair deal."  I'm not interested in dove hunting at this early stage in my hunting life, and since, as you pointed out earlier, I do not live in NYC, I'm likely unable, as I pointed out earlier, to help you organize NYC hunters.  This is why I continually wish you luck. 

I was, however, looking to help in a way that I could by simply providing basic information of which I was aware, namely that Borelli took a seat in the NYC Council, and that a single republican candidate is running to fill that seat during a special election to be held on April 19.  I also answered subsequent questions you asked.  I also added an aside about my experiences in dealing with many boards of elections, and that, unfortunately, derailed the original conversation. 

For the record, and this is for the benefit of anyone who uses the urbanresearch maps: that link will take you to district demographic information from 2012, confirmed data on the most recent census.  The link to "See the list of candidates for..." will take you to ballotpedia, but for 2012.  You can look up information on ballotpedia for current candidates running in active elections, but that information is not always the most current due to the reasons I've stated in prior posts on this thread.

Good luck, Mike!

- over and out

That helps. So did your other info. 

Never the less, if everyone else can ramble and conflate things, and nobody seems to notice I think its time to do a little testing. 

Still, nobody is manning up and taking the lead in Staten Island and other sections of NYC.... However, the rants about the gov and prez will continue while ignoring their backyard - that which they actually can influence. 

Meanwhile the hunting community across the state opines about more issues that have NOTHING to do with hunting, more than they do with hunting issues. When they do address hunting issues, they know it all and nobody else knows anything..... 

AND, such opining is costing the hunting community political capital. First they destroyed any working relationship with the Gov, who is a hunter..... ( I said 5 years ago or whenever the safe act started it would require a court action and that needs to happen before scalia kicks it,)  Then they go on about gays and gay marriages - one Legislature is a man married to a man, with an adopted child... Then they criticize black people - oh - they should not be parioniod about police, easy to say if your not black... What you tell me 25% of the Legislature is black? We published photos, still  nobody gets it... Then they might go on about Mexican immigration--- well what percent of the Legist is hispanic, you tell me, what is it about 10 percent? 

Look either this is a hunting site or it isnt. We are looking for those hunters in  NYC who are interested in working with us, in this stage of my life I am not interested in arguing with deadbeats.... Or hearing anymore of their unfounded opinions. 

Ramble on........ 

Never the less, if everyone else can ramble and conflate things, and nobody seems to notice I think its time to do a little testing. 

Still, nobody is manning up and taking the lead in Staten Island and other sections of NYC.... However, the rants about the gov and prez will continue while ignoring their backyard - that which they actually can influence. 

Meanwhile the hunting community across the state opines about more issues that have NOTHING to do with hunting, more than they do with hunting issues. When they do address hunting issues, they know it all and nobody else knows anything..... 

AND, such opining is costing the hunting community political capital. First they destroyed any working relationship with the Gov, who is a hunter..... ( I said 5 years ago or whenever the safe act started it would require a court action and that needs to happen before scalia kicks it,)  Then they go on about gays and gay marriages - one Legislature is a man married to a man, with an adopted child... Then they criticize black people - oh - they should not be parioniod about police, easy to say if your not black... What you tell me 25% of the Legislature is black? We published photos, still  nobody gets it... Then they might go on about Mexican immigration--- well what percent of the Legist is hispanic, you tell me, what is it about 10 percent? 

Look either this is a hunting site or it isnt. We are looking for those hunters in  NYC who are interested in working with us, in this stage of my life I am not interested in arguing with deadbeats.... Or hearing anymore of their unfounded opinions. 

Ramble on........ 

My God Man...If you have not got your answer yet you will never get it.  How many are you talking to from that area on here? 5-6?

Ramble on........ 

Sometimes, our overwhelming passion for something, blinds us, from all else.

• Like 1

I admire your passion Mr. Rossi, but I won't apologize for the fact that my passion is more national and global.

I work damned hard to make people aware of issues at all levels, and to support politicians who I think 'get it'.

Hunting website or not, my lack of enthusiasm for dove hunting should not be equated with political indifference.

• Like 2

My God Man...If you have not got your answer yet you will never get it.  How many are you talking to from that area on here? 5-6?

America is amazing! Someone as stupid as you can make that much money in this great country.

And you must have a huge winky too - because neither nature or God is that unfair to give someone a tiny brain AND a  mini richard.... 

America is amazing! Someone as stupid as you can make that much money in this great country.

And you must have a huge winky too - because neither nature or God is that unfair to give someone a tiny brain AND a  mini richard.... 

Dont fool yourself Crackhead...The smarts came before the money and cant say i have heard any complaints in the other department!

Just to show you how smart and school ya a bit......On your post in the Cop got ran over and you asked for an..effin BRAKE..............

Now are you asking for a Brake job or such?  Most with more smarts would ask for an effin BREAK.   Really?

• Like 1

Dont fool yourself Crackhead...The smarts came before the money and cant say i have heard any complaints in the other department!

Just to show you how smart and school ya a bit......On your post in the Cop got ran over and you asked for an..effin BRAKE..............

Now are you asking for a Brake job or such? Most with more smarts would ask for an effin BREAK. Really?

Maybe he read those signs off the road where men are at work, "give us a BRAKE".

986694d59ce82bcc8d213e7648c151be.jpg

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems