30-06 Loads

chas0218

So I finally went out and bought some Hornady 165 spitzer soft points to work up some 30-06 loads. I worked up 6 different loads in 3 different powders. I didn't have any non mag primers so I used the 10% rule and started low at the min charges. Obviously I will need to watch for pressure signs. These will be my first reloads for this gun and I am really looking forward to getting a nice whitetail load worked up for this gun. With these loads I am looking to see which groups best and cleanest.  Unfortunately I won't be able to chrono these loads, anyone load the 30-06 in similar powder combinations or have a better combination they could recommend? 

Here is the list:

IMR 4350          56gr. 57gr.

IMR 4895          49gr. 50gr.

Superformace  55gr. 56gr.

I load 4007SSC for the 06 and 270 Win. Going to have to switch powders since they quit making it. Will probably be going with H4895 since I already use it for my 308 reduced recoil loads for my pistol and is has a long history with a wide range of calibers. Since I am rally looking at hunting distances and have had GREAT accuracy results with that powder so far I will stick with it for the other calibers. 

I am not well versed in handloading 30/06 shells but some time ago I loaded up some 165 hornady spire points for a friend of mine using IMR 4350 57 grs, that is near the top in most manuals. They shot well in his Winchester model 70 bolt action. If I remember right they were hitting somewhere around 2900 fps, his rifle had a 24 inch barrel.

Al

Edited by airedale

The 7600 has a very strong action but I would back off a gr or 2, be safe and and work your way up. Your empty fired cases will tell you what you need to know. Go for the load that that does not show high pressure and that shoots the best, believe me a Deer hit with one of those bullets going from 2700 fps to 2900 fps will not know the difference.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

The 7600 has a very strong action but I would back off a gr or 2, be safe and and work your way up. Your empty fired cases will tell you what you need to know. Go for the load that that does not show high pressure and that shoots the best, believe me a Deer hit with one of those bullets going from 2700 fps to 2900 fps will not know the difference.

Al

I did load these on the minimum but I am not sure what that mag primer will do. I have been told 10% from max charge and others said account for 2 grains. Either way I am about 3-4 grains from max charge. I will definitely check for signs of over pressure.

Edited by chas0218

I did load these on the minimum but I am not sure what that mag primer will do. I have been told 10% from max charge and others said account for 2 grains. Either way I am about 3-4 grains from max charge. I will definitely check for signs of over pressure.

I have no experience with loading mag primers in non-mag cartridges, but I would think that the difference is not significant at min charges. Work up from absolute min, not in the middle and certainly not at max. That's my take on it anyway.

Are you not able to get regular LR primers?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I have no experience with loading mag primers in non-mag cartridges, but I would think that the difference is not significant at min charges. Work up from absolute min, not in the middle and certainly not at max. That's my take on it anyway.

Are you not able to get regular LR primers?

I actually went with a mag primer in my reduced recoil load using the H4895 in the 308 just to get a more complete burn and it worked very well. as with anythign, change one item and go back to square one and rework it up. 

Here is the list:

IMR 4350          56gr. 57gr.

IMR 4895          49gr. 50gr.

Superformace  55gr. 56gr.

I am not sure what this will tell you though? not enough different loads of any one powder to make any decisions in my book. You might get lucky and have an optimal load for that gun on this list but it will be a crap shoot.  

I actually went with a mag primer in my reduced recoil load using the H4895 in the 308 just to get a more complete burn and it worked very well. as with anythign, change one item and go back to square one and rework it up.

I've heard of guys doing this, as a low pressure load is harder to have a complete burn. Changing the primer usually tweaks the ES and SD, so I've heard.

I've heard of guys doing this, as a low pressure load is harder to have a complete burn. Changing the primer usually tweaks the ES and SD, so I've heard.

cleaned it up very well. Hard to get all the powder burned in the 15" barrel. Worked like a charm and cut down on the muzzle flash some. That thing still is a fire breathing dragon though...lol