Metro Bowhunters Resource Base

Rebel Darling

Yesterday afternoon, I read an article that discussed a partnership between bow hunters and the twin cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota.  The cities were looking at ways to reduce the deer herd in their metro area.  The reasons for the desired reductions are familiar: damage to vehicles, damage to horticulture on both residential and public grounds, and general nuisances associated with unchecked, large, and some might say bold, deer populations in urban and suburban areas.

Enter the Metro Bowhunters Resource Base (MBRB), ta-da!  The MBRB organizes and administers bow hunts in in the Twin City metro area in locations that are, well, sensitive to hunting, and in use by the general public.  From the MBRB about page: 

"Minnesota's leading archery organizations joined forces in 1995 to provide a unique service called the Metro Bowhunters Resource Base. The MBRB works with the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) and metro communities to generate bowhunting opportunities. It assists communities when needed in planning and administering special hunts and it supplies qualified, competent and responsible bowhunters for the programs."

The MBRB also administers its own skill-based proficiency test that plays a part in the type of hunt an applicant may engage in: standard and sharpshooter.  I imagine that proficiency determines the area an individual hunter would be allowed to apply to hunt.

From the article that I read, the MBRB also acts as a resource to place deer-disgruntled landowners in contact with available bow hunters.  I'm unsure of how that selection is handled.  Perhaps a lottery of their "sharpshooter" applicants.

Has anyone attempted to organize bow hunters in their "metro" area in a fashion similar to the MBRB in MN?  That is, have you or any bow hunting groups or organizations that you are part of, or know of approached a municipality to present and propose a structured, organized metro bow hunt within municipal/county/metro boundaries, specifically at parks, golf courses, etc.?  If so, would you share the response you received from the municipality?  Would you also share the proposal?  I'm very interested in fleshing out this idea and perhaps making a pitch in the Albany / Troy / Schenectady areas. 

This is a low-cost (perhaps revenue generating), low-impact alternative to sharp-shooters, trapping, birth control, etc, and I think that an organized front with a structured and detailed plan delivered by experienced and conscientious bow hunters would be the best approach, oppositions notwithstanding.

Thoughts?  Experiences?  Suggestions?

Your thoughtful and constructive contributions are appreciated.

Thanks very much...

--

Link to the MBRB about page:

http://mbrb.org/mbrb/mbrb-p04.htm

Link to the MBRB page on how to engage the MBRB:

http://mbrb.org/mbrb/mbrb-p10.htm

• Like 2

I too think it's a great idea. I would like to see this happen in the Rochester area. I've been "Burb" (suburban) hunting two years and have my own set of rules I adhere to.

​My arrangement with the land owners is an attempt to reduce population because of deer damage and deer/vehicle accidents. So "Doe only"

I'm in small open 1 acre back yards of $400 and $600 thousand dollar homes. So "Bow or Crossbow only" and establish permission from all neighbors.

Other non-field hunting rules apply as well. Like: Exhaust all efforts to recover broadheads. No one wants a hidden razor blade in their backyard.

There are also many "Don't shoot" situations: Don't shoot if an unleashed dog is near. Try not to let children or non hunters experience a harvest that could be unsightly.

And more.

I also share harvest with landowners.

• Like 2

I decided to search around a bit, and dug into the New York Bowhunters website (http://www.newyorkbowhunters.com/).  Listed under their "Accomplishments" page is a section titled "Other Legislative Accomplishments."  One of the bullet points within that section reads as follows:

"Established urban deer management archery hunts in various parts of the state - Irondequoit, Painted Post and Albany, NY; while preserving and promoting other programs in Westchester & Suffolk Counties."

Since I'm new at this, I'm not yet a member of New York Bowhunters, but am considering membership in short order.  If they've started urban deer management hunts in the Albany area, I'd hate to appear a clueless "Johnny Come Lately" and would like to learn more about their effort, and - of course - where to sign up...  Ha.

Is anyone here on the forum a member of New York Bowhunters?  I'm very curious to learn more about the organization.  Judging by the listed accomplishments on the website, the organization appears very active, and I'd like to be a part of their stated mission.

Edited by RebelDarling

As I am for full inclusion for crossbows, I don't think NY Bowhunters, would want me as a member.

5 out of 6 ain't bad...  I've yet to be 100% satisfied with an organization that has more than one person involved.  Ha...  And, since the idea here is to establish or take part in an urban deer management hunt in the Albany area, I'd like to learn more about their efforts towards that end.

Question: Grampy, would you be opposed to a longbow only urban hunt?  If not, I think there is, at least, some common ground in getting an organized urban hunt proposal together and maybe the NYB would help.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread on crossbow inclusion issues.  To answer your question, I'm for just about anything that would put together an organized urban hunt proposal. I do think it's a good thing. Even though I have private land to hunt and may or may not participate in an urban hunt myself. I think a good number of bow hunters would love the opportunity for more urban hunting, given the chance to do so. Like I said previously, it's a win, win for all involved. And if joining NY Bowhunters could pave the way to making urban hunting opportunities a reality, here in the capitol district or anywhere. I would not be against becoming a member. 

• Like 1

As I am for full inclusion for crossbows, I don't think NY Bowhunters, would want me as a member.

Actually, I have a hard time understanding how anyone thinks they can change the stance of NYB from the outside looking in. If you have a beef with NYB policies, I would think you might actually get in there and try to change the policies that you disagree with and support the ones that you do agree with.

As far as the thread topic is concerned, NYB has experience in that area, and perhaps instead of everyone trying to think of ways to do the same thing individually, you might think that supporting an existing organization would be a shortcut to making that happen where you live and would like to hunt.

• Like 3

Actually, I have a hard time understanding how anyone thinks they can change the stance of NYB from the outside looking in. If you have a beef with NYB policies, I would think you might actually get in there and try to change the policies that you disagree with and support the ones that you do agree with.

As far as the thread topic is concerned, NYB has experience in that area, and perhaps instead of everyone trying to think of ways to do the same thing individually, you might think that supporting an existing organization would be a shortcut to making that happen where you live and would like to hunt.

Hi, Doc.

In short, I agree, and I plan to reach out to NYB Region 4 rep, Ed Gorch to discuss membership and to inquire about their urban management hunt listing on the accomplishments page.  I hope to learn more of the specifics of both how it's structured and its current status.  I also plan to post what I learn on this thread.

Man, was I was glad to read that there already is an organization out there that has set up an infrastructure that can administer, and may have already administered an urban management program...  It's so much easier to help roll the wheel, than to build it out spoke by spoke.

Edited by RebelDarling
  • Like 1

NYB Region 4 Rep. Ed Gorch replied, and boom...  If interested in hunting some preserves in the Albany / Hudson River Valley areas, you can reach out to The Nature Conservancy:

http://tnceny.huntmanagement.net/

There is a link for Western NY at the bottom of the page.

I think there is room for working on access to more urban area hunts in the Albany/Troy/Schenectady area, though, particularly in creating a portal that can place landowners in touch with bow hunters.

• Like 1

I remember years ago approaching the Amherst town board with the help of NY bowhunters and at that time the board shot down the proposal as they believed that we "bowhunters" could not be efficient enough to take out the numbers of deer they believed was necessary. They voted to approve the police to do bait and shoot instead! That was then and now there is a completely different town board so maybe it's time to give it another try? You would think that they would listen if you could show how it would save them tax dollars and possibly even make money through the sale of permits. Also there are areas in the town that a bowhunter could access that are not safe to use the police sharpshooters.

• Like 1

I remember years ago approaching the Amherst town board with the help of NY bowhunters and at that time the board shot down the proposal as they believed that we "bowhunters" could not be efficient enough to take out the numbers of deer they believed was necessary. They voted to approve the police to do bait and shoot instead! That was then and now there is a completely different town board so maybe it's time to give it another try? You would think that they would listen if you could show how it would save them tax dollars and possibly even make money through the sale of permits. Also there are areas in the town that a bowhunter could access that are not safe to use the police sharpshooters.

If you give it a go, please keep me posted on your results.

I posted an idea in another thread that really applies to the conversation here.

I wish the DEC would have a 10 day January season to target overpopulated suburban areas. It would be an All Archery (for suburban backyards) and Doe only (for overpopulation control)  season.

It would likely provide colder weather (to bring the deer out in daylight hours) and have probable snow (making tracking and recovery easier).

It would be there for those hunters that didn't fill out all their tags during the Oct through Dec seasons.

It would provide local communities an option other than bait and shoot or the other costly population control options.

It would target the real overpopulation problem where it exists. If the deer count is reduced there, the DEC numbers may better reflect what every hunter is seeing in the woodland parts of the state.

It would reduce the red tape required and I think it would be a win win situation for both hunter and suburban landowner.

• Like 1

I posted an idea in another thread that really applies to the conversation here.

I wish the DEC would have a 10 day January season to target overpopulated suburban areas. It would be an All Archery (for suburban backyards) and Doe only (for overpopulation control)  season.

It would likely provide colder weather (to bring the deer out in daylight hours) and have probable snow (making tracking and recovery easier).

It would be there for those hunters that didn't fill out all their tags during the Oct through Dec seasons.

It would provide local communities an option other than bait and shoot or the other costly population control options.

It would target the real overpopulation problem where it exists. If the deer count is reduced there, the DEC numbers may better reflect what every hunter is seeing in the woodland parts of the state.

It would reduce the red tape required and I think it would be a win win situation for both hunter and suburban landowner.

RoadKill44, please allow me to expand on your idea...

I think the part of the MBRB plan that makes suburban/urban hunting palatable in sensitive areas is that it's not an "open season," but a restricted and monitored opportunity in otherwise non-hunting areas, administered by a reputable bow hunting organization.

From what I can gather, it seems that the greatest obstacle is working with a locality to open "non-hunting" areas to administered hunts with vetted bow hunters, and that would be beyond the purview and capability of DEC.

I'll provide an example.

Along a stretch of I-87 in Albany County, between exits 23 and 24, sits Capital Hills at Albany, a municipal golf course.  During the fall, it's typical to see deer carcasses along the side of the interstate, and that's putting it politely; this route is heavily traveled.  There are often groups of does grazing along the side of the interstate.  There are no hunting opportunities (that I'm aware of) in Capital Hills, which is owned and operated by the City of Albany, but there are tons of deer (I used to work there as a teenager).  There's an abandoned back-nine that is perfect deer bedding, with many old oaks and ridges, and water, etc.

Without specifically petitioning the City of Albany to allow a restricted hunt with vetted hunters an additional season would be lost on this opportunity.  Now...  pair your idea of a late-late season (or when the golf course is closed during regular/late season) with an administered hunt through the cooperation of the DEC, the City of Albany, and, say, New York Bowhunters, and I think we've got a serious proposal for deer management within Capital Hills.

Thoughts?