Arrested for Running over Dec Officer with ATV

Vince1

couple kids arrested for running over a DEC Officer with their ATV. Got my license checked once buy this guy i believe, one time when i was hunting out in long island. Was pretty awkward for me but he was pretty cool and shot the crap with me for a bit though said he was checking for a complaint about someone with a rifle in a bow area or something.

Kids just put a big stain on their records for no good reason.

On March 13, ECO Travis McNamara and NYS Trooper Fabio Daino were on a multi-agency ATV/ORV patrol, sponsored by the Pine Barrens Law Enforcement Council, when the officers encountered three four-wheel drive vehicles operating illegally off road on PSEG property in Shoreham. Officer McNamara was speaking to the driver of the lead truck, Trevor Galvez, 17, of Selden, when he and the other drivers attempted to flee. Galvez quickly backed up, running over the lower leg and foot of Officer McNamara, fracturing several bones. Officer McNamara was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital where he underwent surgery and was released later last week.

• Like 1

The ongoing disrespect/disregard for law enforcement. I just don't get it

No matter what the circumstance is, stop like a gentleman, let law enforcement do their job and if you're not doing anything wrong you should be on your merry way shortly, if you are doing something wrong pay the mother-effing consequences/fines etc.

Unfortunately, this officer now has to lose time from work, pay out of pocket medical expenses, etc. All because some douche decided to try and get away.

Rant over....thanks

• Like 9

No matter what the circumstance is, stop like a gentleman, let law enforcement do their job and if you're not doing anything wrong you should be on your merry way shortly, if you are doing something wrong pay the mother-effing consequences/fines etc.

Unfortunately, this officer now has to lose time from work, pay out of pocket medical expenses, etc. All because some douche decided to try and get away.

Rant over....thanks

No one is ever going to convince me that the biggest problem with out youth and young adults is that they didn't get a boot in their A$$E$ growing up. 

• Like 11

No one is ever going to convince me that the biggest problem with our youth and young adults is that they didn't get a boot in their A$$E$ growing up. 

More good boots in the tail section, yes! That and reality training. So many video games and movies provide and show challenges where if you're quick enough you can get yourself out of a bad situation. And, if you fail there is nothing to worry about, you can just start again. Many real life situations have serious consequences for failure and often there's no second chance.

Why, at the age 17 and old enough to drive a 4X4 would one think you could get away with such a stunt. They're not stupid, they just haven't been taught to think rationally. Some blame has to go to the parent.

Edited by RoadKill44
  • Like 1

More good boots in the tail section, yes! That and reality training. So many video games and movies provide and show challenges where if you're quick enough you can get yourself out of a bad situation. And, if you fail there is nothing to worry about, you can just start again. Many real life situations have serious consequences for failure and often there's no second chance.

Why, at the age 17 and old enough to drive a 4X4 would one think you could get away with such a stunt. They're not stupid, they just haven't been taught to think rationally

I can remember my wife asking me (since we are on opposite ends of the parenting approach spectrum) "do you want your daughter to fear you"?. My respones..."I expect it"

• Like 4

Long long ago, my two year old started walking toward the road. A shout, "Hey, Get back here" meant to him run to achieve his goal. I ran, caught him by the arm, swung him back toward the house with a slap across the butt. (admittedly harder than intended). Mother-in-Law tells me "You didn't have to do that". I was still pissed and held out my hand. "I'd rather it be this than a Buick".

Things are different today with "timeouts". Still I can recall the boots and once a belt as corrections to bad behavior. I don't hear young adults today recalling corrective timeouts. Just my old fashion view of psychology speaking. I suppose the new methods work but it seems there are more that never learn.

Edited by RoadKill44
  • Like 1

"do you want your daughter to fear you"?. My respones..."I expect it"

What a nice father, I'm sure you will be up for Father of the Year

He has my vote

I can remember my wife asking me (since we are on opposite ends of the parenting approach spectrum) "do you want your daughter to fear you"?. My respones..."I expect it"

Same with my son, with fear comes respect and a conscience. I was raised with morals as I will do the same with my kid. When we were spanked it wasn't often but we deserved it.

• Like 8

You don't worry about how she was raised. We are extremely close. She is aces as far as any 20 year olds I know. 3.9 in a very hard major and still loves to spend time with Mom and Dad.  I know things like manners, personal responsibility and hard work are foreign to you. I would bet you don't see and issue letting a your kids spend time under the crack mentors on your street for career tips and that would seem perfectly acceptable you. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 5

Not about being father of the year it's about respect....my mom always told me hope the cops find you first...and it stuck my kids both no the rules and know the consequences and their behavior shows it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I had a similar conversation with a woman who had been abused by her husband.  The conversation was regarding the difference between discipline and assault.  She asked me the same thing, if my son should fear me.  No I hope my son does not fear me.  I hope he has a healthy fear of consequences, enough so that it could affect his judgment prior to doing something stupid.  If that fear happens to be my hand paddling his ass for mouthing off to a teacher or the serious face-to-face he would get for running over a police officer... so be it.  I would expect my son, or anyone for that matter, not to just out right fear me.

My counter to her argument is that you can tell a child a hundred times not to touch something that is hot, but eventually they will do it and they will get burned.  What is it that stops them from doing it again... satisfied curiosity or fear of the pain it caused the first time?

• Like 1

Long long ago, my two year old started walking toward the road. A shout, "Hey, Get back here" meant to him run to achieve his goal. I ran, caught him by the arm, swung him back toward the house with a slap across the butt. (admittedly harder than intended). Mother-in-Law tells me "You didn't have to do that". I was still pissed and held out my hand. "I'd rather it be this than a Buick".

Things are different today with "timeouts". Still I can recall the boots and once a belt as corrections to bad behavior. I don't hear young adults today recalling corrective timeouts. Just my old fashion view of psychology speaking. I suppose the new methods work but it seems there are more that never learn.

You need to talk to more young adults then lol Edited by diplomat019

I had a similar conversation with a woman who had been abused by her husband.  The conversation was regarding the difference between discipline and assault.  She asked me the same thing, if my son should fear me.  No I hope my son does not fear me.  I hope he has a healthy fear of consequences, enough so that it could affect his judgment prior to doing something stupid.  If that fear happens to be my hand paddling his ass for mouthing off to a teacher or the serious face-to-face he would get for running over a police officer... so be it.  I would expect my son, or anyone for that matter, not to just out right fear me.

My counter to her argument is that you can tell a child a hundred times not to touch something that is hot, but eventually they will do it and they will get burned.  What is it that stops them from doing it again... satisfied curiosity or fear of the pain it caused the first time?

I am with you on this. I guess if I am the issuer of "consequences" (as a parent you hope you are before it gets to a point where the authorities are) and they fear consequences then it is probably by default as a youngster they fear you. Done correctly and actually respecting your kids, holding them to a high standard which they know you believe they can attain, they grow up understanding what it was ll about. 

couple kids arrested for running over a DEC Officer with their ATV. Got my license checked once buy this guy i believe, one time when i was hunting out in long island. Was pretty awkward for me but he was pretty cool and shot the crap with me for a bit though said he was checking for a complaint about someone with a rifle in a bow area or something.

On March 13, ECO Travis McNamara and NYS Trooper Fabio Daino were on a multi-agency ATV/ORV patrol, sponsored by the Pine Barrens Law Enforcement Council, when the officers encountered three four-wheel drive vehicles operating illegally off road on PSEG property in Shoreham. Officer McNamara was speaking to the driver of the lead truck, Trevor Galvez, 17, of Selden, when he and the other drivers attempted to flee. Galvez quickly backed up, running over the lower leg and foot of Officer McNamara, fracturing several bones. Officer McNamara was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital where he underwent surgery and was released later last week.

Not many LEO I respect more than an ECO. Always a pleasure to meet and greet one. Hopefully these kids gets prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. No excuses to assault an ECO like that.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 3

Rant over....thanks

The ECO was on the job, and was injured. I'm not sure how he'll end up with the medical bills and lost wages from work.

I agree with the rest though.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

"Time outs", the kids get told to go sit in the corner , isn't told what they did wrong after 10 min.  time out is over the kid gets up & does it again!   When we ( brother & sisters) did something wrong we were told what it was , got a crack on the a$$ & we didn't do it again!  My wife says she & her sister just got to smell a leather belt & they were back in line in a hurry!  And we all turned out pretty dam good!  "Time outs" (stupid imo)!

Edited by hunter49
  • Like 1

For clarification I liked because I hope those kids get the full brunt of penalty. You should never run someone over on purpose unless they are looking to do you harm and you are defending yourself. Respect the damn law you darn no good whippersnappers!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm willing to bet he didn't mean to run him over bad judgement in a bad situation....anyone who grew up riding dirtbikes or quads has run from someone whether land owners or cops....it's not right but is done often....this just turned bad quickly when he ran over the cop....hope justice is served and he learns from his mistake but hopefully it doesn't ruin his life at least he wasn't shooting up drugs or worse....bad situation

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk