What and Where to Grow?

Yea I'm thinking a few random spots of clover could work well. Here's a few of the non swampy or rock quarry areas

d257fa35456c75b90665e3139ac122f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks wide open below the canopy... give them a place to hang out when the pressure starts in you will do well with it. the other concern I would have is when the leaves come out I'm not sure if you will get enough light at the ground to support any kind of growth.. beautiful piece of land pops did well!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I got the kidding around part when I got to the part about Brussel sprouts and opium. If the sale was still going on you would be thanking me. Wanna buy a ladder stand in a box for 95 bucks? Haha. Your mind will be going 100mph with thoughts of what to do on that land. It's a blessing and a curse. Good luck to you and your dad

• Like 1

I got the kidding around part when I got to the part about Brussel sprouts and opium. If the sale was still going on you would be thanking me. Wanna buy a ladder stand in a box for 95 bucks? Haha. Your mind will be going 100mph with thoughts of what to do on that land. It's a blessing and a curse. Good luck to you and your dad

Yup. Putting my cams there Sunday instead of waiting till August like I typically do

• Like 1

So I plan to purchase a soil test from whitetail institute. Question is does it matter when I do this? Like now or wait till summer? Also would the soil pH vary from section to section of the land? I'm wonder if soil under powerlines would be much different than soil near acorn trees? Thanks.

In other words, do I need to do 2 separate soil tests?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I would soil test now so if you need to lime you have time for it to get into the soil. Ph can vary due to elevation . Water runoff and other things can change soil in a short distance. This is what I have learned but by no means am an expert. If growie was around she would have an answer

• Like 1

May want to check with utility before attempting to till/ fertilize/ plant anything. The utility does their own maintenance along/under high lines that they own, and may not appreciate your gardening efforts on their property. I worked for a utility company and recall a few instances where we asked people not use our high line property for food plots. Liability issues....that sort of thing.

I also found a few homemade tree-stands that some knuckleheads attached to high line structures...not a good idea.

May want to check with utility before attempting to till/ fertilize/ plant anything. The utility does their own maintenance along/under high lines that they own, and may not appreciate your gardening efforts on their property. I worked for a utility company and recall a few instances where we asked people not use our high line property for food plots. Liability issues....that sort of thing.

I also found a few homemade tree-stands that some knuckleheads attached to high line structures...not a good idea.

Yea we own the land but they have an easement to access the poles. There is already a lot of low stuff like blackberries etc under the powerlines so we probably won't plant there but rather clean an area where's it's flat in the hardwoods to plant clover.

• Like 1

you need to soil sample every plot you put in.. just remember before you start clearing.. the deer are already eating something... if you start clearing without know what they are eating you could set yourself in the wrong direction. I would be careful about cutting any nut trees. the deer and turkey know what and where they are, you take out those trees and you may actually push the deer to other places.. look at the whole property and think though everything before you start. look at the atv logging trails. they are usually free places to plant. you don't disturb anything to put in your first plots.

• Like 1

So I plan to purchase a soil test from whitetail institute. Question is does it matter when I do this? Like now or wait till summer? Also would the soil pH vary from section to section of the land? I'm wonder if soil under powerlines would be much different than soil near acorn trees? Thanks.

In other words, do I need to do 2 separate soil tests?

I brought a soil sample to Agway this morning, and they tested the soil for me right there.  Walked out with the lime I needed.  I'm unsure if all Agways will test soil for free (these folks are really helpful), but it might be worth a shot to call ahead.  It could save you time and money, and get you going quicker.

• Like 1

Just concentrate on power line for now, before you make any woods plots or Jing cut oe thin woods, learn the property a year or two, learn where pressure come from and where the deer go, it's nice the neighbors don't hunt but people find a way into any woods ,PowerLine old atv trails , had a guy walk the county line a mile to my woods as the piece he entered on wasnt posted..

• Like 2

I brought a soil sample to Agway this morning, and they tested the soil for me right there. Walked out with the lime I needed. I'm unsure if all Agways will test soil for free (these folks are really helpful), but it might be worth a shot to call ahead. It could save you time and money, and get you going quicker.

they did a pH test... not a soil test. if what your plants need isn't in the soil dosent mater how much lime you put on it. get a complete test done... it will save you a lot of frustration later.

• Like 1

they did a pH test... not a soil test. if what your plants need isn't in the soil dosent mater how much lime you put on it. get a complete test done... it will save you a lot of frustration later.

A proper soil test can be done at you local ag store, but you need to know what you are planting as every plant requires a different amount of nutrition.adding nitrogen to ground your going to plant clover on is a waste as it fixes it's own nitrogen..

As for planting in the oaks ... oak leaves and acorns are very high in tannic acid and you ground will be much lower ph than a grassy srip under the powerlines. It can be done but lime takes awhile to raise ph and leaves keep.falling, let alone if your plant g near a walnut tree where juglan washes off leaves everyone it rains... proper woods planting takes a carefully laid out plan...